Lenovo Flex 10th Gen

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My daughter just had me purchase this laptop for her as her very old desktop is too old to trust. It' somewhere in its 12th year of life. Here's the specs for the purchase:

Processor & Memory:
  • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor
  • 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Operating System:
  • Microsoft® Windows 10 Professional (64 bit)
Drives:
  • 1TB NVMe™ TLC Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Graphics & Video:
  • 15.6" Touchscreen IPS LCD with LED Backlit Full HD (1920 x 1080) Display
  • NVIDIA® GeForce MX330 Graphics, 2GB
Communications:
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (2x2/160) Gig+ and Bluetooth® 5.0
  • Integrated 720p Webcam with privacy shutter
Audio:
  • 2x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio DAX3
Keyboard:
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • Fingerprint Reader
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x USB 3.1 Type-C
  • 2x USB 3.1
  • 1x HDMI-Out
  • 1x 4-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • 1x Headphone/Microphone Combination Jack
Battery:
  • 3-Cell 52.5 WH Lithium Polymer Battery
Additional Information:
  • Dimensions: 14.08" L x 9.37" W x 0.82" H
  • Approximate Weight: 3.96 lbs
Costco has this one on sale for $200 off their regular price... that's what we've been waiting for. We picked the laptop out a good while ago. Daughter would have liked to have had an 11th gen chip as I've talked those up a good bit, but just like my own purchase a while ago, the 11th gen chip wasn't available in a laptop that met our other spec requirements.

For anyone shopping for laptops, the lower cost Lenovo's Achilles heal seems to be the hinge area. Keep them well protected while traveling or transporting them and they should give years of good service.

Andy C

My daughter just had me purchase this laptop for her as her very old desktop is too old to trust. It' somewhere in its 12th year of life. Here's the specs for the purchase:

Processor & Memory:
  • 10th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-1065G7 Processor
  • 16GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM
Operating System:
  • Microsoft® Windows 10 Professional (64 bit)
Drives:
  • 1TB NVMe™ TLC Solid State Drive
  • No Optical Drive
Graphics & Video:
  • 15.6" Touchscreen IPS LCD with LED Backlit Full HD (1920 x 1080) Display
  • NVIDIA® GeForce MX330 Graphics, 2GB
Communications:
  • Intel® Wi-Fi 6 (2x2/160) Gig+ and Bluetooth® 5.0
  • Integrated 720p Webcam with privacy shutter
Audio:
  • 2x 2W Speakers with Dolby Audio DAX3
Keyboard:
  • Backlit Keyboard
  • Fingerprint Reader
Ports & Slots:
  • 1x USB 3.1 Type-C
  • 2x USB 3.1
  • 1x HDMI-Out
  • 1x 4-in-1 Media Card Reader
  • 1x Headphone/Microphone Combination Jack
Battery:
  • 3-Cell 52.5 WH Lithium Polymer Battery
Additional Information:
  • Dimensions: 14.08" L x 9.37" W x 0.82" H
  • Approximate Weight: 3.96 lbs
Costco has this one on sale for $200 off their regular price... that's what we've been waiting for. We picked the laptop out a good while ago. Daughter would have liked to have had an 11th gen chip as I've talked those up a good bit, but just like my own purchase a while ago, the 11th gen chip wasn't available in a laptop that met our other spec requirements.

For anyone shopping for laptops, the lower cost Lenovo's Achilles heal seems to be the hinge area. Keep them well protected while traveling or transporting them and they should give years of good service.
:eek2 :dilbert:eek2

JSTyler

I only understand my IPAD, and no longer own a working laptop or desktop computer.
And the fun in that...my main desktop has maybe about 1/4 the power and processing speed of that ithing, depending on the age and model of it. I'm not a ithing fan at all, but they make some amazing hardware with beautiful screens/resolution and some of the best digital cameras on the market. I've considered buying a decommissioned ithing phone just for the camera.

I have a knock-off android tab that isn't slouch but it certainly doesn't compare.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
decent specs - I would dumped Windows and install Linux - but that is just me

Not interested. I like Windows. You should start a thread specifically for Linux instead of throwing it into threads where Linux is not part of the topic.

I sent this new purchase back. I started to set it up for my daughter and discovered there was a Chinese variant browser installed on it and I figure that shouldn't have been on a laptop meant for the US market. Then when I went to update the laptop to 21H1 I got a message saying I was either trying to install an old OS onto a newer Os or the current OS wasn't in approved directories.... Had never seen that before.

Anyways, hopefully Costco doesn't have a whole pallet of laptops that weren't meant for the USA market. If the replacement is the same we'll send that back to. I told my daughter I could wipe the drive and start fresh but the built in recovery would always give the original configuration if it was ever needed. And we'd have to find all the drivers and supporting software as well... since I'm aging out I don't feel like doing all that when I shouldn't have to.

The replacement should be here in a couple of days. This is the first time I've returned a laptop since the very first time I ordered one decades earlier. The first one I ordered was so long ago I can't remember when, but it arrived DOA. The replacement was DOA too so I gave up after that and it was a while before I talked myself into trying a laptop again.

GEOINTAnalyst

Not interested. I like Windows. You should start a thread specifically for Linux instead of throwing it into threads where Linux is not part of the topic.

I sent this new purchase back. I started to set it up for my daughter and discovered there was a Chinese variant browser installed on it and I figure that shouldn't have been on a laptop meant for the US market. Then when I went to update the laptop to 21H1 I got a message saying I was either trying to install an old OS onto a newer Os or the current OS wasn't in approved directories.... Had never seen that before.

Anyways, hopefully Costco doesn't have a whole pallet of laptops that weren't meant for the USA market. If the replacement is the same we'll send that back to. I told my daughter I could wipe the drive and start fresh but the built in recovery would always give the original configuration if it was ever needed. And we'd have to find all the drivers and supporting software as well... since I'm aging out I don't feel like doing all that when I shouldn't have to.

The replacement should be here in a couple of days. This is the first time I've returned a laptop since the very first time I ordered one decades earlier. The first one I ordered was so long ago I can't remember when, but it arrived DOA. The replacement was DOA too so I gave up after that and it was a while before I talked myself into trying a laptop again.
Probably right about the new thread for Linux I have not used Windows in over 10 years - yep sounds like laptop was shipped to wrong market
Was the browser called Baidu Browser? or was it a Chinese version of Chrome/Edge browser? Microsoft Edge is based on Chrome - just curious

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Probably right about the new thread for Linux I have not used Windows in over 10 years - yep sounds like laptop was shipped to wrong market
Was the browser called Baidu Browser? or was it a Chinese version of Chrome/Edge browser? Microsoft Edge is based on Chrome - just curious

It was Chromium, everything in Mandarin characters (I presume Mandarin, anyway).

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Probably right about the new thread for Linux I have not used Windows in over 10 years

I'll probably never become a Linux user, but would be interested in following a thread on the topic. I had a couple of retail versions of Linux, one by Corel Corp, and had planned on playing with them, but life kept getting in the way. That was a long time ago.

GEOINTAnalyst

It was Chromium, everything in Mandarin characters (I presume Mandarin, anyway).
Most likely scenario was the retailer bought in bulk from China and the seller sent them Chinese language laptops - which cannot be changed if it is Home Edition of Windows it has to be the Pro version to change the default language. there is a thread on Microsoft website if you are interested, where other people bought laptop with Chinese language

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...p/f15fcb99-b6f7-48fc-93a8-fe8d32225b78?page=4

GEOINTAnalyst

I'll probably never become a Linux user, but would be interested in following a thread on the topic. I had a couple of retail versions of Linux, one by Corel Corp, and had planned on playing with them, but life kept getting in the way. That was a long time ago.
CorelOS was discontinued in 2002 it was based on Debian - so yep that was a while ago - LOL - it was originally designed to compete with Windows 98 and 2000 since CorelOS launched in 1999

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Most likely scenario was the retailer bought in bulk from China and the seller sent them Chinese language laptops - which cannot be changed if it is Home Edition of Windows it has to be the Pro version to change the default language. there is a thread on Microsoft website if you are interested, where other people bought laptop with Chinese language

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...p/f15fcb99-b6f7-48fc-93a8-fe8d32225b78?page=4

This laptop has the pro version of Windows. The language was set to English, but this one app was still Mandarin all the way. I hope the replacement isn't the same. I can manage to remove the program from the computer, but the oddities of the OS install could prove to be a headache for owners, so it just wouldn't be worth it to keep it. Will likely find out tomorrow or the next day.