left behind

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
I watched the movie “Left behind”, last week, and have been wondering.
In the film, the people were gone, but their clothes remained.
And I asked myself, is there any biblical proof for that?
The only references I could find were Elisha, who left only his coat,
and our Lord Jesus Who left His burial cloths.

And another question: will the Rapture be a “secret” event,
that leaves people wondering where their love-ones have gone,
or will the whole world be able to see and hear it?
Jesus’ ascension was visible, and His return will be so too.
Also there will be a loud trumpet to announce it.

And the last question, does it matter whether we know these things?

so-blessed

You've asked the two questions I often ask, Kaatje. I have searched scripture to see where this idea of clothes being left comes from. Like you, only the references mentioned are the ones I found. I suppose it's a concept taken from scripture. The Lord is rapturing us and we will have no need of our clothes (yikes, that worries me ). After all, when we get to heaven, what would happen to those clothes? I know we will be clothed by The Lord, so again no need for them.
With regard to whether the rapture will be seen, I've always been taught it is invisible but the 2nd coming is visible. But again, couldn't find a scripture to confirm it's unseen. Again I've been taught it happens so fast no one will see it. Again, have always been taught that only the saved will hear the last trump, but no scriptural evidence.
But it's good to discuss these things we've always "thought" were how things would happen and ask why we think that if there is no direct scripture.
We once were in a teaching session about Revelation and were talking afterwards about the mark of the beast. The teacher told us that whilst everything looked like there would be a cashless society, and 20 years on it looks even more certain, we must ensure we don't give the impression that scripture says cashless, because it doesn't.

Micki

MARANATHA!!
Revelation 19:8
And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Based on this passage, I believe we will all be provided with white robes or white outfits.

When Jesus first appeared to Paul some people with Him saw or heard something and others saw or heard nothing. My opinion is that there will be people who will hear The Trump of God and maybe even see a flash of light, while others perceive nothing. I imagine those who see or hear something will be those who played at being Christian, but never took it seriously. The others will probably be so spiritually detached that they can’t make out Jesus presence when He comes for us.

Diane B

In 1 Corinthians 15, it says we are changed. If we are transformed/changed, we no longer need our clothing, etc. These things (glasses, dentures, contact lenses, jewelry) are signs of our mortality and earthly lives. I would assume that they would be unnecessary in Heaven and unworthy of Heaven, too.

I agree that these things left behind might be a witness to those left behind. All of this is conjecture, of course. Hopefully, we will find out for ourselves soon.

Saved and Waiting

Interesting thread! I don't know if our clothes or anything else we are wearing will just be left visible to others when we leave suddenly or God has them just evaporate or disappear. I do believe where Christians are and who they are with will be telling. For example, if I am driving down the interstate at 80 miles per hour and have a friend in the front passenger seat and one in the back seat...if myself and the front seat passenger are suddenly raptured and the friend in the back is not a Christian and is left...he or she (if not sleeping) is certainly going to know we are gone. Whether they hear the trumpet and shout, I don't know but I'm pretty certain that back seat person is going to be flying in that front seat drivers seat to try to stop the car! If the Rapture should happen at a family reunion or anywhere with a huge gathering and two or three are having an intense political conversation and one or two disappear in mid sentence there will be a giant "WHHHHAAATTTT"??? reaction. Unsaved mothers-to-be that suddenly are not with child any longer and the little 3 year old they are holding hands with in the mall are gone. If the Rapture should happen when it is around 3 in the morning here in the US....and most are still sleeping in their beds...Christians being suddenly taken will only take a short period of time to be noticed gone by those left behind. I know our changing from mortal to immortal will be "in a twinkling of an eye"....instant change. I have listened to the Shofar blown and it seems like a beautiful, fairly long sound and then we have the shout of Come Up Here (or words to that effect). They may not be heard by all but just Christians but I believe we Christians will hear it and know instantly that our Lord is coming for us!!

SonSeeker

When we are raptured, only our natural bodies will be exchanged for glorified bodies, and anything artificial will be left behind. This includes false teeth and the like, in my case, I currently have a replacement hip as well as a replacement shoulder. Even though these items last many years, it's not a drop in the bucket when compared to eternity. So I think these items will be left behind as they won't be needed.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
if myself and the front seat passenger are suddenly raptured and the friend in the back is not a Christian and is left...he or she (if not sleeping) is certainly going to know we are gone. Whether they hear the trumpet and shout, I don't know but I'm pretty certain that back seat person is going to be flying in that front seat drivers seat to try to stop the car! If the Rapture should happen at a family reunion or anywhere with a huge gathering and two or three are having an intense political conversation and one or two disappear in mid sentence there will be a giant "WHHHHAAATTTT"??? reaction.

People behave differently in emergencies. Some people in the back seat in the situation above would do their utmost to jump into the front seat after their mind cleared after a second or two. Just as many wouldn't even be able to move let alone jump into the front seat.

Kaatje

Done some more studying about the left behind clothes and the visibility of the rapture.

In the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve wore no clothes, but they only found out they were naked after the fall. With sin, came shame and embarressment. So in reverse, we won’t need our earthly clothes, but won’t be shamed of our nakedness either. It won’t be an issue at all.

Btw maybe even gender itself will disappear, because Jesus told us, there will be no marriage in Heaven
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. (Matt. 22:28)

Another thing I found was Moses, who was in the presence of God on Mount Sinai, and when he returned his face shone so brightly, that the Israelites were afraid to get near to him and therefore Moses covered his face with a vail (Ex. 34), meaning that in the presence of Gods’ Holiness, we will shine so brightly, that clothes are totally supervacaneous.

So I think the fine white linen clothes in Heaven speak of righteousness and not of covering nakedness.

Than about the visibility

The servant of Elisha only saw the warriors after Elisha prayed that his eyes would be opened. (2 Kings 6)
The shepherds in the fields of Ephrata saw the angels singing about the birth of the Saviour (Luke 2), but nowhere in the Bible it says that more people saw it, eventhough there was a multitude of the Heavenly hosts.
When Jesus was baptized, the Heavens opened, a loud voice sounded and a dove came down and landed on our Lord. But it seems that very few people saw it happening. Only John says he witnessed it. (John 1:32)
The disciples saw Jesus Christ ascend to Heaven (Acts 1)
It all gives the impression that God decides who on earth may see some of the Heavenly realities.

That still doesn’t answer the question, who will witness the Rapture, but it is very comforting to know that God knows best, and whatever He decides will be perfect.

SonSeeker

That still doesn’t answer the question, who will witness the Rapture, but it is very comforting to know that God knows best, and whatever He decides will be perfect.
We will!:thumbup

My opinion of whether those left behind will see or hear anything is, "I doubt it." It will happen so quickly (as in
around one tenth of a second or thereabouts), that if we were having a conversation with a non-believer, we would simply disappear from their sight. The same goes for the trumpet blast, we'll hear it, but not likely anyone else will.

Kaatje, the posts below might want their own thread. You started this Left Behind thread, and I don't know if you should hijack your own thread.:p:D:feedback
Btw maybe even gender itself will disappear, because Jesus told us, there will be no marriage in Heaven
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. (Matt. 22:28)
I've been pondering that, also. The Bible says that we will recognize each other, although we won't look exactly like we do now. Thank God for that!
Gender itself may disappear, and while we're on that subject; if we don't have sex organs, will we even need the organs for (ahem!) elimination? We will be able to consume solid foods, and presumably liquids also. But will a glorified body need to eliminate waste?

Greater minds than mine, a little help, please!

Kaatje

Gender itself may disappear, and while we're on that subject; if we don't have sex organs, will we even need the organs for (ahem!) elimination? We will be able to consume solid foods, and presumably liquids also. But will a glorified body need to eliminate waste?

Don’t mind if the subject gets sidetracked a bit.
It has all to do with studying the Bible, and I love to do that.
So no problem.

Regarding your question about our “waste-works”. Yes I tend to think that will remain.

In Paradise, Adam and Eve were given “to eat every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed;”. So they would have had to digest that and have some form of excretion (but probably a healthier one than we have, nowadays).

Our Lord Jesus had something to eat, while in His Gloryfied body. (Luke 24)

In Revelation 2 it says, “who overcometh will be given to eat of the tree of life, which is in the midst of the paradise of God.” And in Rev. 19, “that we are called unto the marriage supper of the Lamb.”

So, I think the digestion will remain, but not obesity, clodded arteries, etcetera.

The same goes for the animals as well, they will go back to the diet they had in Paradise.
No more carnivors, but “the wolf and the lamb shall feed together, and the lion shall eat straw like the bullock”

Salluz

Aspiring Man of God
I'd be real careful with the whole no gender in heaven thing. That's an argument used in favor of "Christian" homosexuality. I'm not sure whether it originated with that group, but it was definitely used by a friend of mine to justify her homosexuality.

What we know: Jesus was clearly recognized as a Male person after his resurrection. Our resurrection will be like his. This leaves two options: we will all be male, or we will all be of our birth sex. I'm male, so this wouldn't change anything for me, but I dont see how women would be okay with becoming men in the same way I wouldn't be okay with becoming a woman.. it would be pretty hypocritical if we condemn the transgender movement only for all Christian women to become transgender.... so I'm voting we will keep our rightful sex

Kaatje

I'd be real careful with the whole no gender in heaven thing. That's an argument used in favor of "Christian" homosexuality. I'm not sure whether it originated with that group, but it was definitely used by a friend of mine to justify her homosexuality.
No no no, I’m absolutely not advocating anything remotely “gender fluid” on earth. No way.

We have to obey the Scripture in all things and it says very clearly that God created us man and woman.
And marriage is meant to be a lifelong bond, uniting one man and one woman.

The reason I think that maybe in Heaven we won’t be men and women anymore, stems from Matthew 22.
Where our Lord says that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.”

But you could be right, maybe we’ll still be different sexes, full of love, but without a carnal side to it.
We’ll have to wait and see.

May it be soon.

Trudy

And another question: will the Rapture be a “secret” event,
that leaves people wondering where their love-ones have gone,
or will the whole world be able to see and hear it?

There is another reference of a rapture in the Book of Revelation concerning the 2 Witnesses!

Revelation 11
7When they have finished their testimony, the beast that comes up out of the abyss will make war with them, and overcome them and kill them. 8And their dead bodies will lie in the street of the great city which mystically is called Sodom and Egypt, where also their Lord was crucified. 9Those from the peoples and tribes and tongues and nations will look at their dead bodies for three and a half days, and will not permit their dead bodies to be laid in a tomb. 10And those who dwell on the earth will rejoice over them and celebrate; and they will send gifts to one another, because these two prophets tormented those who dwell on the earth.
11But after the three and a half days, the breath of life from God came into them, and they stood on their feet; and great fear fell upon those who were watching them. 12And they heard a loud voice from heaven saying to them, “Come up here.” Then they went up into heaven in the cloud, and their enemies watched them.

:rapture:rapture
:yeahright :rant :runforhills :faint2:longshot

The whole prophecy about them and their ministry is totally interesting!What is also intriguing is the timing of their Rapture:
12..... Then they went up into heaven in the cloud, and their enemies watched them.
13And in that hour there was a great earthquake, and a tenth of the city fell; seven thousand people were killed in the earthquake, and the rest were terrified and gave glory to the God of heaven.

14The second woe is past; behold, the third woe is coming quickly. :reading

Watching and Waiting

Interesting thread...
You know that part about how we won't remember the former things? I am wondering if in heaven, all we will feel is love, the air will be thick with it. To not have my husband with me, would not be my idea of heaven, so I got to thinking. Probably dangerous but still... lol
I started to think that when the former things have faded, then when I see my husband I simply won't remember him as my husband. He will just be another person saved by the blood and I will have the same agape love for him as for anyone else.
Maybe.... :)

SonSeeker

We have to obey the Scripture in all things and it says very clearly that God created us man and woman.
And marriage is meant to be a lifelong bond, uniting one man and one woman.

The reason I think that maybe in Heaven we won’t be men and women anymore, stems from Matthew 22.
Where our Lord says that “in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.”

But you could be right, maybe we’ll still be different sexes, full of love, but without a carnal side to it.
We’ll have to wait and see.

May it be soon.
Great discussion, Kaatje! And I agree completely regarding Matthew 22.:thumbup I understand about marriage being meant to be a lifelong bond between one man and one woman. But, I don't believe that carries over into the eternal state for a couple of reasons. First, because of what Matthew 22 states, "but are as the angels of God in heaven.” And second, because we will all be attending the marriage supper of the Lamb, and we are the Bride! Many of us guys have a bit of an issue with that one!

Kaatje

Great discussion, Kaatje! And I agree completely regarding Matthew 22.:thumbup I understand about marriage being meant to be a lifelong bond between one man and one woman. But, I don't believe that carries over into the eternal state for a couple of reasons. First, because of what Matthew 22 states, "but are as the angels of God in heaven.” And second, because we will all be attending the marriage supper of the Lamb, and we are the Bride! Many of us guys have a bit of an issue with that one!
Be that however it may, we will be fullfilled and satisfied as we could never dream to be on earth! :cloud9

Back