left behind

maryrae

I have always wondered why Jesus' Glorified body still had the nail marks and was not perfect again. Is that to prove that it was indeed Him?
Well, I don't think that Scripture has the answer for that question, but I do like to imagine that they are/were still there to remind us of His great love, so much so that God actually clothed Himself in human flesh & died for us. He's our perfect sacrificial Lamb!
Lenraff, I just saw your post! "Great minds think alike" :)

Batfan7

I agree that the scars will stay. After all, God probably didn't start in human form at all (does anyone think that from eternity past all of the Trinity had 10 toes and hairy arms?) Jesus is depicted as permanently assuming a human form, abet without the restriction humans will have such as being in only one place at a time, so having superficial scars seems like a lesser thing (a visual "blemish" seems less remarkable than cramming Infinity into a human form).

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
This is a very interesting thread and why I love the fellowship on here :) the lord knows we have many things we simply don't understand here, and when we are with him as promised then one thing I am really really looking forward to is the joy!!! Because here is indeed not our home, and we are, like Paul says, in this tent, we groan, and long to be clothed with our habitation from heaven! I really really really hope it's soon ...the Spirit and the bride say come lord Jesus! :) John 14:1-3 and a scripture on my mind today, John 17:24

Last edited:

OutWest

I have always wondered why Jesus' Glorified body still had the nail marks and was not perfect again. Is that to prove that it was indeed Him?

Yes. Stay with me and I'll attempt to give a reason for my answer.

John 20:24-27 . . Now Thomas (called Didymus), one of the twelve, was not with the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him: We have seen the Lord! But he said to them: Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my finger where the nails were, and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it.

. . . A week later his disciples were in the house again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them and said: Peace be with you!

. . .Then he said to Thomas: Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.

Now, the Bible doesn't say, but I strongly suspect that Jesus' wounds were open wounds. In other words, the punctures in his hands, and the incision in his side, should've been bleeding but weren't. You can just imagine the impression that would've made on not just Thomas, but everyone else too.

NOTE: Jesus' crucified dead body was restored to life, but it was not yet glorified when he showed it to Thomas. According to John 2:19-22, Jesus had to come back from death with the very same body, fully intact, in which he passed away on the cross.

_

Last edited:

OutWest

one thing I am really really looking forward to is the joy

If there's a Bible Camp in heaven I am definitely signing up in order to make sure I have the correct interpretations nailed down.

A good Christian friend passed away some years ago. At that time, he wasn't all that proficient with the Bible but I suspect he's way ahead of me by now. It would be really cool if I got him for my Camp counselor.

When I left you, I was but the learner,
Now I am the master.

Darth Vader
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

_

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....

If there's a Bible Camp in heaven I am definitely signing up in order to make sure I have the correct interpretations nailed down.

A good Christian friend passed away some years ago. At that time, he wasn't all that proficient with the Bible but I suspect he's way ahead of me by now. It would be really cool if I got him for my Camp counselor.

When I left you, I was but the learner,
Now I am the master.

Darth Vader
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope

_

I hope George Lucas and some involved in the "force" franchise are there too! They have made lots of money spreading the "force" and my prayer is for at least some of them to come to the knowledge of the truth :)

Last edited:

OutWest

Reach out your hand and put it into my side

John 19:31-35 . .When they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs. Instead, one of the soldiers pierced Jesus' side with a spear, bringing a sudden flow of blood and water. The man who saw it has given testimony, and his testimony is true. He knows that he tells the truth, and he testifies so that you also may believe."

Since Jesus was somewhat elevated, (it's not stated exactly how high) the spear point would have entered his body at an upward angle. The text doesn't say which side was penetrated, but from John's description, and judging from the intent of the soldier to leave no doubt about Jesus' death, the heart side was very likely the side they cut into and the spear point would've entered his body just under the rib cage.

The heart is surrounded by a membrane called the pericardium; which serves to contain a serous material resembling water to prevent the surface of the heart from becoming dry and/or chafed by its continual motion. It was very likely this which was pierced and from which the water flowed.

The point of the spear also seems to have reached one of the ventricles of the heart, and the blood, yet warm, rushed forth, either mingled with, or followed by, the liquor of the pericardium, so as to appear to John to be blood and water flowing together. Though not medically accurate in our day, John's calling the serous fluid "water" was accurate enough in his own day.

What I'm getting at is that the stab wound left by the spear point wasn't just a minor cut, it penetrated very deep and had Thomas stuck his hand in there, it likely would've gone out of sight.
_

Back