Lebanese FM: Israel preparing for military assault

Kaatje

Listening for that trumpet sound
Lebanon's Foreign Minister instructs UN envoy to complain against Israel's operation against Hezbollah's tunnels.
Lebanon's Foreign Minister, Gebran Bassil, claimed on Thursday that Israel’s actions near the border with his country is in preparation for a military assault on Lebanon.

According to the Kuwait News Agency (KUNA), Bassil instructed Lebanon’s permanent representative to the UN, Ambassador Amal Mudallali, to submit a complaint against Israel in this matter.

The IDF launched Operation Northern Shield overnight Monday in order to dismantle terrorist tunnels dug by Hezbollah from Lebanon into Israeli territory.

Within hours of the initial announcement, the IDF reported that it had uncovered a terror tunnel originating in the southern Lebanese village of Kafr Kela, and leading into Israeli territory. The tunnel was dug from a cement factory in the southern Kafr Kela area and which had been converted to a military site by Hezbollah terrorists.

Earlier on Thursday, the head of the IDF Northern Command, Maj. Gen. Yoel Strick, held a meeting with UNIFIL commander General Stefano del Col.

During the meeting, Gen. Col took a tour of the terror tunnel dug by the Hezbollah terrorist organization from the Lebanese village of Kafr Kela into Israeli territory.

UNIFIL later acknowledged the presence of a tunnel in northern Israel near the Lebanese border.

Bassil’s comments come a day after Lebanon’s Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri said that Israel’s operation to destroy Hezbollah terror tunnels should not lead to “any escalation”.

Hariri has been tasked with forming the next coalition in Lebanon, though his party suffered significant losses in the last election, while Hezbollah and its allies gained more than half the seats of the 128-member Lebanese parliament.

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/255842

OnlyHim

Unless the IDF is going to do something different, I don't think the IDF will engage in a ground campaign unless they are drawn into it. Just look at Gaza. The IDF goes into Gaza to destroy tunnels then they leave. They have yet to engage in a ground offensive even though Israeli citizens want them too. I think they are just going to take out some tunnels for now.

lenraff

I believe the smaller actions we keep seeing are conditioning the region for the coming major attack. I agree with OnlyHim, this is limited FOR-NOW. The coming regional holocaust is prophesied to be sudden as in "sudden destruction". Soon Magog and his hordes will be draw into an epic failed battle not with Israel, but God Himself. The purpose of which is to display His power and Glory to His people and as a final warning to the world. Though the earth dwellers can't understand it, we know the purpose of tribulation and judgment is to ultimately save souls, not destroy. The entire theme of prophecy can show the escalation of wrath with a pleading with man to repent, even in the midst of judgment. Thus is the nature of our loving God. As the scripture says, "In their affliction they will acknowledge me".

Luke12

I don't know that I would agree with y'all here on this. I think the issue here with the tunnels could just be the start of a major conflict at some point in the near future. Caroline Glick had an article (I forget where) where she pointed out the missile factories in Lebanon were a serious escalation in the retrofitting of Hezbollah's missles with precision guidance systems. Chris posted something from the TOI in another thread.

Edit to add: Chris's thread is here: Analysts: Tackling tunnels is first step...…….

Last edited:

DanLMP

So let me get this straight, they allow Hezbollah to become their military and political leaders (read that as Iran), they allow the stockpiling of missiles who's function is to bomb Israel, they dig terror tunnels from Lebanon into Israel, and now the Lebanese FM is complaining that Israel is going to invade them?!

Bassil’s comments come a day after Lebanon’s Prime Minister-designate Saad Hariri said that Israel’s operation to destroy Hezbollah terror tunnels should not lead to “any escalation”.
They don't get it. The terror tunnels ARE the escalation.