Learned something new today about my browser

Lovin Jesus

I’ve been having umteen issues with my internet for the past couple of weeks. Even linking tothis forum was giving me problems. Just now I thought why not I’ve nothing to lose so I went to my App Store to get a new internet search and kick google down the road. I installed a new one and tried to search recent sites I noticed had changed and was limiting my access to information on those sites. Well, this new search engine took me to that site I had used for a very long time and had changed, and surprisingly the old website homepage was back. It was back to the way I was used to seeing it and no problems accessing information, no blocks or redirecting. So google was the problem the whole time I was racking my brain trying to figure out why I had so many internet issues even asking if others had these issues. Well, now I know. This new search engine says I can go to the browser and see who’s trying to track me. Interesting.

Last edited:

sawas

+1 on DuckDuckGo - It's a good place to start, for sure. But, wait, there's more!!! I'd recommend changing out your browser also (Firefox at the least). Then....there's the VPN solution, which is becoming increasingly advisable.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
+1 on DuckDuckGo - It's a good place to start, for sure. But, wait, there's more!!! I'd recommend changing out your browser also (Firefox at the least). Then....there's the VPN solution, which is becoming increasingly advisable.

What would a VPN do for me? Would it help stop interruptions in internet service/connectivity? Or at least those due to probing? Is a VPN kind like another firewall?

sawas

What would a VPN do for me? Would it help stop interruptions in internet service/connectivity? Or at least those due to probing? Is a VPN kind like another firewall?
No, it would not help with connectivity issues. In fact, if anything it might well slow data transfer speeds, depending on the VPN service you might use. Most VPN services require a subscription fee and often provide other services like email handling, etc.

The advantage of a VPN is that it securely routes your traffic through a server that helps - in most of the ways that matter - hide your identity. This is particularly useful when using mobile devices over public networks (like at a coffee shop or airport). If you're in the habit of using such networks, this adds a significant degree of protection from others on the same network.

But, it's becoming increasingly useful to anonymize your traffic for more general traffic from your home network. In this era of big data, there are now server farms out there built for the single purpose of compiling everything that can be tied to your identity, including your IP address. Using a VPN stops that cold, ahhh, assuming your VPN service is trustworthy. ;)

This data is used to tailor ostensibly "useful" content for you by (ostensibly helpful) companies like Google, Facebook, etc.. But, as is now being reported, these tech companies are using this data in order to change the news you read and, thus, change your views. Your search results, news feeds, and advertising are being designed by these companies, not just to boost their profits, but to also satisfy their social and political agendas. As we're discovering, these folks don't want you doing or seeing certain things.

Unfortunately, there are some websites that you may not be able to access while using a VPN. While there are a few legitimate reasons for restricting anonymous VPN traffic, most reveal the actual value of you being "naked" (so to speak) while in their domain. If what they're offering is "free", then you're the product.

Here's a good article that may be useful.

Ghoti Ichthus

:thankyou @sawas :thankyou

Well, since I haven't been using VPN and bigdata already has my IP address, knows I'm Christian, etc., it's probably too late if TPTB start rounding us up before the Rapture.

I was hoping it would help with the censorship around here :mad

Which one(s) do you recommend? Anything in particular to look for or avoid?

Last edited:

sawas

:thankyou @sawas :thankyou

Well, since I haven't been using VPN and bigdata already has my IP address, knows I'm Christian, etc., it's probably too late if TPTB start rounding us up before the Rapture.

I was hoping it would help with the censorship around here :mad

Which one(s) do you recommend? Anything in particular to look for or avoid?

Oh, no doubt about all of that, for sure. Same here. So, in one sense, maybe it's too late to worry over to one extent or another, but maybe it's also time to get really serious about it. Who's to say? Lots of the "unimaginable" going on. Frankly, its getting downright difficult to stay under the radar. And, like most here, I hope and expect to be long (or not so long) gone when it gets downright dangerous.

I'm still evaluating VPNs myself. I have one now that comes with my (paid) Norton subscription, but am looking at others as well. I recently opened a free email account with Proton Mail, which happens to offers a free VPN service that I'm trying. They do have additional features/functions for paid subscribers as well. But, I'm frugal enough that these will occupy my focus for a good while.

One more thought.....as enlightening as the COVID-19 panic/demic has been for understanding how the world is being conditioned, I've long expected that issues such as identity theft will also become increasingly troublesome. I hope not to be a victim of that and many other risk vectors. As careful as I am, I still get plenty of "phishing" attacks and other garbage, spam, etc. I really shudder to think of how many/most folks are just fodder for these many nefarious entities.

Here's another article from PC Mag that might help.

Ghoti Ichthus

Oh, no doubt about all of that, for sure. Same here. So, in one sense, maybe it's too late to worry over to one extent or another, but maybe it's also time to get really serious about it. Who's to say? Lots of the "unimaginable" going on. Frankly, its getting downright difficult to stay under the radar. And, like most here, I hope and expect to be long (or not so long) gone when it gets downright dangerous.

I'm still evaluating VPNs myself. I have one now that comes with my (paid) Norton subscription, but am looking at others as well. I recently opened a free email account with Proton Mail, which happens to offers a free VPN service that I'm trying. They do have additional features/functions for paid subscribers as well. But, I'm frugal enough that these will occupy my focus for a good while.

One more thought.....as enlightening as the COVID-19 panic/demic has been for understanding how the world is being conditioned, I've long expected that issues such as identity theft will also become increasingly troublesome. I hope not to be a victim of that and many other risk vectors. As careful as I am, I still get plenty of "phishing" attacks and other garbage, spam, etc. I really shudder to think of how many/most folks are just fodder for these many nefarious entities.

Here's another article from PC Mag that might help.

My identity has been stolen/misused/exposed in data breaches a b'zillion times. It all started with an AT&T employee. I was being so careful to pay my cell bill in person with cash, and the employee stole my identity!

I got LifeLock and it's been worth every penny. One time they detected a fraud as it was happening, and moved fast enough that between them, the store, and me, got the people arrested and prosecuted :hyper

Fraud alerts and freezes at the credit bureaus, one-time security codes for online cc use, and having a very proactive bank that also does my insurance, also helps a lot. My bank also detected and stopped a fraud :hyper

I dread getting old enough for Medicare because there's massive, massive fraud in the program, and once your Medicare number is used fraudulently even once, it'll happen over and over and over again and again and again :furious :rant :mad :wild

sawas

My identity has been stolen/misused/exposed in data breaches a b'zillion times. It all started with an AT&T employee. I was being so careful to pay my cell bill in person with cash, and the employee stole my identity!

I got LifeLock and it's been worth every penny. One time they detected a fraud as it was happening, and moved fast enough that between them, the store, and me, got the people arrested and prosecuted :hyper

Fraud alerts and freezes at the credit bureaus, one-time security codes for online cc use, and having a very proactive bank that also does my insurance, also helps a lot. My bank also detected and stopped a fraud :hyper

I dread getting old enough for Medicare because there's massive, massive fraud in the program, and once your Medicare number is used fraudulently even once, it'll happen over and over and over again and again and again :furious :rant :mad :wild
Nice to hear an endorsement for Lifelock...I've been considering it. As you know, they're part of Norton now, so - assuming you have Norton - a VPN should be available to you as part of your anti-virus/internet security suite.

Yeah, this stuff is ugly and pervasive and, I think, only going to get worse. I'm soon to enter the ranks of "seniors" and am particularly concerned with older folks, who are often "behind the curve" technologically speaking.

Ghoti Ichthus

Nice to hear an endorsement for Lifelock...I've been considering it. As you know, they're part of Norton now, so - assuming you have Norton - a VPN should be available to you as part of your anti-virus/internet security suite.

Yeah, this stuff is ugly and pervasive and, I think, only going to get worse. I'm soon to enter the ranks of "seniors" and am particularly concerned with older folks, who are often "behind the curve" technologically speaking.

I used to have a Norton purchased product that came with updates, but stuff happened and I had to go with a free product since the old Norton would have cost to update/upgrade, so I ended up with MAfee. They've been OK, but I think I'd like to go back to Norton since I upgraded from the McAfee free product, anyway.

I'm glad LifeLock went with Norton and Norton with LifeLock. Kind of like when Cingular and ATT ended up together. Two really good products/services instead of a good one paired with a cruddy one :smile

Last edited:

Momma D

I have a subscription with Avast, for their Avast Premium. Version.
I always use the VPN and feel secure with it.
No problems to this point...

Ghoti Ichthus

I signed up for the free trial of ProtonVPN. During the trial period, you get Plus. After the free trial of Plus, it's $8 a month, or keep it free and only have basic. I'm using basic with Tor and FireFox because it's free. Both basic and Plus are easy to use. Plus is definitely faster because it allows P2P and avoids the higher-use free nodes. Not a problem for what I do, but it could be a problem for streaming or gaming.

It's fine, except.

Amazon and a few other places won't let me access their U.S. websites when using ProtonVPN. most especially with Tor :mad
I don't remember this happening with Plus during the free trial, but it's possible I didn't try it on Amazon during the free trial.