Lauren Daigle Put on the Spot: We Should All Be Prepared for This Question

Discussion in 'End Times Politics' started by Everlasting Life, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Everlasting Life

Everlasting Life Through Faith in Jesus

You know, I have to say that I felt compassion in her situation along with sadness in how all this dissolved. Often, when a person is flung into a type of confrontation that's not been encountered before, one can be flustered and find themselves like a duck out of water. How many of us have regretted a less than response? In this case it was unfortunately very public. Hopefully, when encountering this kind of situation, it causes one to think deeply (and prayerfully) of what to do differently and determine a different course of action.

In this case, there is good that still comes of this. It causes me to ponder, "What would my answer be?" Well, most likely this was a trap and I'm reminded that Jesus did not always answer trap questions, but rather answered a trap question with a thought provoking question. So, I thought a good response could be: "The more important question to ask is 'Do you know Jesus Christ as your Savior?'" and then share the Gospel. Then repeat like a broken record...

:pray ing for Lauren that she would grow in Christ from this situation.

https://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/...e-put-spot-we-should-all-be-prepared-question

...She’s becoming a regular on talk shows and in national publications, and has officially earned the coveted status of “crossover artist” at just 27 years old.

But with broader appeal comes a challenge: maintaining one’s identity, not as a “Christian singer,” but as a Christian. Sadly, it’s a challenge many Christian celebrities have struggled to handle.

Last week during an interview with iHeart radio, Daigle was asked, given her recent appearance on the Ellen DeGeneres show, whether she believes homosexuality is a sin.

“I can’t honestly answer that,” Daigle replied. “I have too many people that I love, and they are homosexuals.”

She went on to explain that since she’s not God, she can’t say one way or another. Instead, people should just “read the Bible and find out” for themselves.

Now let me say from the beginning here I understand how hard this high-pressure situation can be. For a young woman like Daigle with a skyrocketing career, calling homosexuality a sin in a public forum could mean closing a lot of doors and alienating a lot of fans. There’s a real cost that comes with taking a stand for the Christian view of sex and marriage. Deciding to pay that price in a split second with a microphone shoved in your face is something better-trained theologians and pastors have failed to do.

But this whole story reveals something else—the deep crisis of authority plaguing evangelicalism right now. First, we should be past the point of answering this question, because the Christian view of sex and marriage should be so clear and our commitment to it should be so well-known by now that there should be no longer any point in asking the question!

The reason it still comes up is that too many evangelicals, like mainline Protestant liberals before them, have sounded an uncertain note on this topic. I’m not just talking about those very few pastors and writers who’ve reinvented their faith to accommodate LGBT theology. I’m talking about the epidemic fear to even broach the topic in so many evangelical churches and ministries, and how we’ve avoided the topic especially with our young people, instead wrongly catechizing them to look to their emotions for truth instead.

Neither the Bible nor nearly two millennia of Christian teaching are at any level ambiguous about homosexual behavior. Numerous passages in the Old and New Testaments condemn it, along with any sexual behavior outside of God’s good design for marriage between a man and a woman. No one in Christian history ever doubted this until about five minutes ago. There is no room for disagreement on the point.

For Daigle or any other Christian for that matter to publicly say, “I don’t know whether homosexuality is a sin” is like saying “I don’t know whether stealing or worshiping false gods are sins.”

And that brings up a second angle on the church-wide authority problem we face. When theological training is de-prioritized and even avoided, then our celebrities become our experts. Yes, Daigle should know better. But we should know better than to hold celebrities up as theological authorities.

And finally, we need to ask ourselves: How would we respond in Lauren Daigle’s situation? You might think, well, I’m not a celebrity. But it’s not just celebrities that will be faced with this question in awkward situations.

What will you say when someone with the power to seriously damage your career asks you what you think about a culturally popular sin?....

2. Steve53

Steve53 Well-Known Member

I give the same answer every time - I believe the Bible is God's Word and God can't lie. Just because it may be a popular idea to jump off a bridge, popularity alone still doesn't make it a good idea.

And for the record, my beliefs have cost me a job - mutually so - in that I would not compromise my beliefs, and my employer would not support me with the same ferocity they would and do, support "inclusiveness" of, and the societal normalization of sinful lifestyles.

3. Everlasting Life

Yes, Steve53, you are certainly an example of being marginalized for following Christ. That is often the cross believers bear. It's tough, but the conscience is clear and it is better to be on the side of Christ.

Continuing in :pray ers for you Steve53.

You know, I saw a handmade large, wooden sign around our neighborhood advertising for maintenance services. It must be drumming up business as the sign has not been removed (and it seems people have compassionately left it there). Anyways, I thought of you and hoped/prayed that God would provide in creative and wonderful ways for you.

4. Work4Peanuts

Work4Peanuts Well-Known Member

I don't think that I feel the same way. This was more than a "less than" response. Lauren Daigle took the easy way out, and she should have been prepared for such a question when considering going on the Ellen Degeneres show. The only reason I can think of for Ellen to invite a well-known "Christian" singer was to show other "Christians" how intolerant they are all being by not upholding the liberal worldview of anything goes. This was definitely a set up.

I'm not saying I haven't taken the easy way out before, but I've been ashamed of myself afterwards. Lauren Daigle should be ashamed of that answer.

Kristine, anath, RogerThat and 10 others like this.
  5. Everlasting Life

I guess using 'less than' was an attempt to be gentle. But, it is true that calling a spade a spade is necessary at times, and even loving.

True....or, perhaps considering whether going on Ellen was a prudent thing to do. I do hope that this becomes a growing thing for her.

If anything this certainly provoked some thought and prayers on my part as to how to wisely answer if put in this position. I pray that the Holy Spirit would give guidance in the moment as Christ promised...and maybe this is part of preparing for an answer.

Kristine, TRex2, Círeth and 7 others like this.
  6. Work4Peanuts

Work4Peanuts Well-Known Member

I don't think that a Christian needs to avoid going on the Ellen Degeneres show, but one definitely needs to be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might, and to be prepared to do a little spiritual warfare (put on that full armor of God!) with a church backing one up with prayer.
    It was, if anything, a missed opportunity. If Lauren had turned around and defined sin as anything that God tells someone not to do, and that yes, the Bible, God's Word, says not to do it, while gently presenting the gospel message, who knows who would have been reached.

Kristine, Círeth, chaser and 6 others like this.
  7. Kem

Kem Citizen

It seems pretty black and white to me. A true Christian believes that God's word is true, all of it. And yes, I was recruited for a job I really wanted and had to turn down because working in labor and delivery required that I assist with abortions. I had to refuse because I believe abortion is murder.

8. Jeri minton

Jeri minton Well-Known Member

I was bothered by the way Lauren answered the question...a few years ago, I started listening to her music because the songs she was writing seemed to show such a deep understanding of Christian faith..even said, wow, she is so young to have such a clear understanding of a relationship with Christ...so, she has people in her life who are homosexuals, that she loves?..does she not understand that God loves them too?...and the Body of Christ loves them .....years ago a friend of my grandson asked me how I felt about gay people...I said, as a Christian , I believe God is totally against it....I wouldn't do it ...I want to please God...now that might not have been the best answer, but it was unexpected...I guess young people cannot fathom the idea that you can still love and care about people but not condone a lifestyle that goes against your beliefs..

Kristine, Randy B, Círeth and 6 others like this.
  9. christ4ever777

christ4ever777 Well-Known Member

We need to pray for our sister, Lauren Daigle that she would remain strong and true to God's Word under pressure if she gets another public opportunity to proclaim God's Word. Its easy to cast judgement and talk about what you would or wouldnt do under pressure but how many of us truly know? Prayer is the answer.

Kristine, RogerThat, Círeth and 6 others like this.
  10. Andy C

Andy C Well-Known Member

I would not let myself get narrowed in a tight box. The answer is yes, its a sin, and just like any sex outside of marriage is a sin. If you narrow your answer to only one situation, you're boxed in. If your answer shows other examples of what God considers sins, you have shown the broader picture. When I have been asked that question I also give many other examples of what sin is, and I also admit that I still sin, and then talk about Gods forgiveness to those who confess Him as their Savior.

She knew the right answer, and she allowed her position to be compromised.

Kristine, Forgiven1, Círeth and 6 others like this.
  11. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

She was entering enemy territory, a show that promotes a sinful lifestyle and likes to demean anyone opposing that lifestyle. I am surprised she was not prepared to be put on the spot and give a righteous answer in a loving manner, as Andy C stated " she allowed her position to be compromised". I have heard or read quotes from other Christian artists giving interviews that have made me think, did they really just say that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Kristine, Forgiven1, GotGrace and 4 others like this.
  12. Kerbluey

Kerbluey Well-Known Member

Their plan all along was to ambush her, but I suspect Lauren was told the interview wouldn’t be controversial. She’s either in denial about libs or naive to assume they aren’t liars and cheats and will destroy her given the opportunity.

Kristine, Forgiven1, GotGrace and 2 others like this.
  13. Jeri minton

Well, to me , she made a mistake, but that is just what that show was hoping for...she made it sound like that if you love someone then you are obligated to approve their lifestyle, and I think that'll be how they will promote it, leaving the wrong impression entirely...hopefully she will find a way to clarify it, but that depends on how the pressure not to, affects her..we all make mistakes, and sin , but to me there is a responsibility to correct it, if you''ve mislead people about what God's word says.

14. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

I just think people who are artists with talent, whether it be musicians, singers, writers, actors and actresses etc. should know what the word of God says about sin if they are going to profess themselves as followers of Christ. Otherwise by making a statement about homosexuality as she did in a public venue, is she not leading others astray, like a false teacher ? We are to be separate from the way the world lives, and to love by giving the truth about sin.

Forgiven1, Kerbluey, Círeth and 2 others like this.
  15. twerpv

twerpv Well-Known Member

Ellen: “Is homosexuality a sin?”

Me: “We’ll, that depends. How do you define sin?”

Ellen: “You claim to be a Christian, therefore, is it a sin against God?”

Me: “I’m not trying to be obtuse, but are you referring to the God of the Bible? The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob? The great I Am?”

Ellen: “Um, sure”

Me: “Well, according to the Bible and the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jaocob, yes. You can find it here, here and here.”

Ellen: “How can you hate people like that?”

Me: “Woah, woah, I don’t hate people. I simply answered your question. I didn’t write the Bible, I am just telling you what the Bible says.”

Ellen: “Then you are condemning people who were born a certain way.”

Me: “Nope. I don’t have the power to or not to condemn anyone. That is firmly in God’s realm. Not mine.”

16. twerpv

twerpv Well-Known Member

The point is (IMO) to point people towards God’s word and force them to argue with Him, not me. I’ve told people befor that it doesn’t matter if I believe 2+2=4. It is whether I ‘believe’ it or not.

Kristine, anath, Forgiven1 and 4 others like this.
  17. lenraff

lenraff Well-Known Member

I don't know Lauren. I do know Jesus, and His word says Lauren is a friend of the world and a enemy of God.
    Jas_4:4  Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God.
    Is that harsh, well Jesus said if Lauren's ashamed of me here on earth He'll be ashamed of Lauren before His father and the angels in heaven. Was Lauren set up to fail, of course, and why? Because she is spiritually bankrupt and the enemy used her to mock Christ. No discernment, no wisdom, no made up mind, blind.
    Mar_8:38  Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.
    When do you think we will be living in the last days? If you think this is now, then it's time to come out of the world and stop playing church. What's a blood bought child of God doing on a national homosexual exalting television show???? What does light have to do with darkness. NOTHING.
    Eph_5:11  And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
    Lauren is a counterfeit self deceived unbeliever that has dragged the cross through the mud IMO. Any comparison to the hardships of standing for the faith in this evil world cannot be compared to the suffering of those who came before us( Heb.11 for example). Having a microphone shoved in your face? How about having the flesh torn from your back. We have made a nation of christianettes that have been lead to a smooth easy cross. They will be wondering how they could be left behind with there new age preachers and Oprah mystics. Better wake up. It's real late. Pray for Lauren and all those like her with terrible testimonies.

18. Jeri minton

Lenraff, you are telling the sobering truth....some people don't want to deal with really hard truth, and I have been one in the past..one day I realized, death on the cross was ugly,...horrible and sobering..Jesus told us to take up our cross, daily, and follow Him...thats a rough truth for the unsaved world to grasp, so they won't...Each Believer has to decide if they want to soften the image of the cross or to accept that we are called to follow a savior who suffered and died that agonizing death to pay the price for our sins...the verses you have posted reminds me that standing on the Word is still my best choice.

Kristine, Kem, Forgiven1 and 5 others like this.
  19. GotGrace

GotGrace Well-Known Member

I believe a setup absolutely! I’ve seen it happen to other folks in interviews. I’m not sure why a Christian would go on a show to be interviewed knowing this would more than likely come up.

chaser, Kristine, lenraff and 6 others like this.
  20. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

This is not the only question a Christian should be prepared to answer.

It is not possible for every Christian to be fully prepared to answer every question that might come their way unless they are fully versed in Christian Apologetics.

And since you, as a Christian, can not know every answer here should be your default position; I stand behind God and His Word. I don't stand behind any twisting or allegorization of His word. If you want to know the answer to your question, seek God and His Answer.

Kristine, lenraff, Kerbluey and 2 others like this.