Laptop

jacee92

Watching
For those of you who have laptops,how well do you like them? SIL says i shouldn't get one.She said i would be happier with another desktop but i don't have room for another desktop and like the portability of a laptop but i don't want to waste money if they aren't good either. I was thinking of getting one from circuit city or best buy and would appreciate anyones advice on what to look for in one since i know NOTHING about them. Also, i have dsl and was wondering if it would run off of that or do i need something else? I tried calling my dsl company and asking them but i could not understand a word the guy was saying and i just got more frustrated :rolleyes

Just so you know i don't do gaming i just want to be able to come to this board, surf the net, im, download recipes,ebay etc.. but i still want a pretty good one that will last awhile. Thanks for your help! :D

walksbyf8h

Gone permanently
Love mine. It's a Dell Inspiron. I have no problem with it. I don't know what your SIL is referring to. I think that you should be fine getting one. There are no restrictions with DSL, etc., I have DSL. :idunno: The only thing that I can think of that might impact your decision is whether it's single vs double spindle but that's about it.

My baby, however, is going to DELL to be upgraded. I will miss her. Her name is Ruth Dell. Right now, I'm typing on Naomi Dell (the desktop). :lol:

:elmogrin

Anavah

*~~*Following the Shepherd*~~*
Love mine!! The only downside is that they are harder to upgrade, but I am not a game player and such, so mine last a long time.

jacee92

Watching
what is single or double spindle mean?:idunno: I don't exactly know what she was referring too either. Are the wireless box things so you can go room to room with them or can you do that just with them having a battery?

Miss Bobbie

Saved, Baptized, Ready for Rapture!
My baby, however, is going to DELL to be upgraded. I will miss her. Her name is Ruth Dell. Right now, I'm typing on Naomi Dell (the desktop).

Tre, you named your computers? Wish I'd thought of that. But at work I named all my sewing machines. :lol:

jacee92

Watching
Gateway 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (MT6821)
GTW MT6821
• Intel Core 2 Duo T5200
• 160GB hard drive
• Burns DVDs and CDs • 2GB of DDR2 memory
• Built-in 802.11agb wireless
• Windows Vista Home Premium

This is one i was looking at. Does it sound ok?

vmoon

Jacee, I don't know. I use a Toshiba. It's my husband's computer. A laptop. I really do like a laptop. We have wireless internet so I can use this computer anywhere in the house. We have a printer set up in the den. Whenever need to print out something I just hook the cord into the computer then print.

walksbyf8h

Gone permanently
what is single or double spindle mean?:idunno:

The spindle 'drives' the harddrive, floppy drive, cd drives, etc. If you only have one spindle, you are restricted with the number of attachments that you can run consecutively along with the hard drive; so you don't have to swap them out.

If I recall correctly, 1 spindle will drive the hard drive plus one attachment. Since I had to be able to run four items at once, I needed a double-spindle system. At the time, Dell was the only one that I found.

jacee92

Watching
The spindle 'drives' the harddrive, floppy drive, cd drives, etc. If you only have one spindle, you are restricted with the number of attachments that you can run consecutively along with the hard drive; so you don't have to swap them out.

If I recall correctly, 1 spindle will drive the hard drive plus one attachment. Since I had to be able to run four items at once, I needed a double-spindle system. At the time, Dell was the only one that I found.

Thank you :thumbup

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Love mine. It's a Dell Inspiron. I have no problem with it. I don't know what your SIL is referring to. I think that you should be fine getting one. There are no restrictions with DSL, etc., I have DSL. :idunno: The only thing that I can think of that might impact your decision is whether it's single vs double spindle but that's about it.

My baby, however, is going to DELL to be upgraded. I will miss her. Her name is Ruth Dell. Right now, I'm typing on Naomi Dell (the desktop). :lol:

:elmogrin

You've named your computers?? :ohno :doh: :tongue :yeah: :elmogrin

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Gateway 15.4" Widescreen Notebook PC (MT6821)
GTW MT6821
• Intel Core 2 Duo T5200
• 160GB hard drive
• Burns DVDs and CDs • 2GB of DDR2 memory
• Built-in 802.11agb wireless
• Windows Vista Home Premium

This is one i was looking at. Does it sound ok?

Sounds good. Lots of RAM memory is always good. :thumbup I don't know anything about the Core 2 Duo thing, I always use Pentium chips, like the Pentium 4. :elmogrin

I have a 15inch laptop screen, if you can find one with a bigger screen you will be happier. :thumbup

jacee92

Watching
Sounds good. Lots of RAM memory is always good. :thumbup I don't know anything about the Core 2 Duo thing, I always use Pentium chips, like the Pentium 4. :elmogrin

I have a 15inch laptop screen, if you can find one with a bigger screen you will be happier. :thumbup

Thanks Chris. I guess the next thing is naming the new "baby":lol:

Pear

(:OÞ)
Love Love Love my laptop, will never buy another desktop again. I have the dell inspiron 1501.

KaiserMO

Go to the other side!
I just got my first MAC laptop and I LOVE IT.
I wanted a machine that would resell for better money.
I just love this thing.

walksbyf8h

Gone permanently
Go to the other side!
I just got my first MAC laptop and I LOVE IT.
I wanted a machine that would resell for better money.
I just love this thing.

Hiss...hiss...boooo..mac...booo :lol: Really, though, they're Unix so I'm game. What all did your's come with? Is it the new one that is entirely in the monitor? MacMo :eek:scar: