Kevin Durant

Goodboy

Have you been watching the NBA finals? If so, I am sure you know what happened to Kevin Durant. I am not a doctor, but then again neither are 95 percent of the people who are giving their opinion, so here are my thoughts.

The doctors, coach and management should not have allowed Kevin Durant to come back before performing well in more scrimmages. If they did allow him to come back, they should have at least told him not to do anything too strenuous.

Here are the problems in my opinion.
1. The quad mussel is connect to the ham string on top and the Achilles on the bottom. When you injure your quad, you may also have injured your ham string and/or Achilles.
2. If you have injured your ham string, the doctors can usually tell and you most likely will feel it.
3. If you have injured your Achilles, the doctors cannot tell (unless there is a tear) and you most likely will not feel it.

So then the doctors having no way to tell if Kevin Durant's Achilles was compromised in any way, assumed that it was fine. If his Achilles was indeed fine, the doctors would have been correct in stating that the worst he could do is tear his quad, which would only set him back a few months. So I guess the crux of the problem is that doctors think they are so smart and can tell if an Achilles has been weakened. All the doctors can do, is perform an MRI to see if there is a tear. What makes the problem worse is that until you actually tear your Achilles, you will not feel any discomfort. Both the quad mussel and ham string will be painful or at least bothersome if they are compromised.

Yes I say all this with no good facts to back it up, but from what I know from playing basketball and getting injured (never the Achilles that I know of) this is what I believe. I saw a guy at my job tear his Achilles while playing a friendly 2 on 2 pickup basketball game during lunch. This guy is into martial arts and trains every day. I believe he compromised his Achilles while training and just put more stress on it playing pickup basketball. In my theory, he had absolutely no idea his Achilles was weakened as there was absolutely no pain or discomfort. Even when you tear your Achilles there is not a lot of pain. Did Kevin Durant look like he was in a lot of pain? Well neither did the guy at my job. In fact, we thought he was kidding at first as he just casually stated that he tore his Achilles.

Well that's my story and I am sticking to it!!!! :)

Whoops! I did say that I am not a doctor. LOL!
I don't think the quad mussel is connect to the ham string, it is more or less connected to the knee. Still, the point about not feeling pain or doctors not knowing if your Achilles is compromised is still valid.

Last edited:

Goodboy

I didn't even know who he is but I think the sports med drs are under a lot of pressure to keep the players on the field or on the ice no matter the consequences to their future health. Like the concussion injuries. Very bad.
You got that right!!! :frown2

Andy C

I didn't even know who he is but I think the sports med drs are under a lot of pressure to keep the players on the field or on the ice no matter the consequences to their future health. Like the concussion injuries. Very bad.
Probably true sometimes. But in Durants case, he makes 31 million a year. If this injury causes him to miss all next year, or maybe his career, the team still has to pay this salary until the contract is finished.

I agree about the fact that until recently, teams made players play through concussions.

Goodboy

This player makes 26 million a year, and you can believe he had the best of the best clearing him to play. Injuries happen. As the article below states, he was cleared by numerous Drs to include independent of the team Drs hired by Durant.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26958458/durant-undergoes-surgery-ruptured-achilles
I don't disagree with you, but I don't believe that doctors have any way (other than a tear) of knowing if your Achilles has been stressed, weekended or compromised in any way. Maybe you can tell, I don't think much of doctors. :mad:

Andy C

I don't disagree with you, but I don't believe that doctors have any way (other than a tear) of knowing if your Achilles has been stressed, weekended or compromised in any way. Maybe you can tell, I don't think much of doctors. :mad:
You could be right, the article could be right, the Drs could be right. However, Im not really sure why I even responded to this thread. You wrote a good OP, the old sports junkie in me came out, and together, you and I had an interesting but not really important conversation in the grand scheme of things. I do hope he recovers, and most importantly, that he is a believer.

Andy C

Speaking of stars being injured, I dont mind admitting that when Magic Johnson held his press conference back in the early 90s about having HIV, I cried a little. Former diehard Laker fan here.

Goodboy

One more point. The doctors told Kevin that the worst that could happen is that he re-injure his quad. So something worse happens. Well the doctors should say they were wrong, which can happen and I understand that. Will they admit that? No!!! They say they were correct and the Achilles tare has no relation to his quad injury. His Achilles tare was just a freak accident. Really??? Now there are a large number of injuries that a pro basketball player can have, but Kevin just playing 12 minutes of basketball happens to injure something on the same leg that is directly connect to his injured quad. No relation? Not a shoulder, back, neck, ankle or injury to some other part of the body. Same leg and directly connected.

OK I'm done. Please feel free to believe whatever you like, but I am not falling for it. :)

Andy C

One more point. The doctors told Kevin that the worst that could happen is that he re-injure his quad. So something worse happens. Well the doctors should say they were wrong, which can happen and I understand that. Will they admit that? No!!! They say they were correct and the Achilles tare has no relation to his quad injury. His Achilles tare was just a freak accident. Really??? Now there are a large number of injuries that a pro basketball player can have, but Kevin just playing 12 minutes of basketball happens to injure something on the same leg that is directly connect to his injured quad. No relation? Not a shoulder, back, neck, ankle or injury to some other part of the body. Same leg and directly connected.

OK I'm done. Please feel free to believe whatever you like, but I am not falling for it. :)
If I ever need my case argued in court, Im calling on you to represent me.

Goodboy

You could be right, the article could be right, the Drs could be right. However, Im not really sure why I even responded to this thread. You wrote a good OP, the old sports junkie in me came out, and together, you and I had an interesting but not really important conversation in the grand scheme of things. I do hope he recovers, and most importantly, that he is a believer.
I totally agree this is by no means an important conversation. That's why I posted it in "Anything Goes". Since I like to watch pro basketball and have no one to discuss it with, I figured I would post something here. Of course salvation and anything related to it, is what is most important, you and I definitely agree regarding that. :hug

Andy C

I totally agree this is by no means an important conversation. That's why I posted it in "Anything Goes". Since I like to watch pro basketball and have no one to discuss it with, I figured I would post something here. Of course salvation and anything related to it, is what is most important, you and I definitely agree regarding that. :hug
The NBA was my favorite sport to watch, and especially the Lakers. I remember as a kid when the lakers traded to acquire my favorite player, Wilt Chamberlain.

I would still watch the Lakers if they did not get Lebron. Yes, I know, he is one of the top players of all time, but he runs his mouth about politics all the time, and should just stick to what he does best, get the ball in the hoop.

Most of my life, I followed all sports, and could quote you stats on all the top players. As a diehard fan, I share what you go through, and its hard to find another person with the same in depth knowledge to talk with. I did have one friend as a teenager who was equally drawn to sports, and we argued all the time about which team is better, his team - The big red machine Cincinnati Reds, or my Dodgers. He was very jealous decades later when I told him I got to meet Johnny Bench (his childhood hero) in 2006, and talk with him alone for a few minutes.

Goodboy

The NBA was my favorite sport to watch, and especially the Lakers. I remember as a kid when the lakers traded to acquire my favorite player, Wilt Chamberlain.

I would still watch the Lakers if they did not get Lebron. Yes, I know, he is one of the top players of all time, but he runs his mouth about politics all the time, and should just stick to what he does best, get the ball in the hoop.

Most of my life, I followed all sports, and could quote you stats on all the top players. As a diehard fan, I share what you go through, and its hard to find another person with the same in depth knowledge to talk with. I did have one friend as a teenager who was equally drawn to sports, and we argued all the time about which team is better, his team - The big red machine Cincinnati Reds, or my Dodgers. He was very jealous decades later when I told him I got to meet Johnny Bench (his childhood hero) in 2006, and talk with him alone for a few minutes.
Yeah, when I was working there were two co-workers with whom I talked about pro basketball with. One guy loved Kobe Bryant and the other loved LeBron James and each thought their player was the G.O.A.T. When I was younger I liked Walt Frazier and the Knicks. When Michael Jordan came along however, I could not get enough of him. So most of my sports life I have supported Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls. Not that I so much liked the Bulls, but just loved Jordan.

Anyway, I guess I have already said too much, but my point is that my two co-workers and I would spend a lot of time arguing regarding who is the G.O.A.T. Jordan, LeBron or Kobe. The correct answer is Michael Jordan!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! :)

Goodboy

Very close, but its Jabbar, Magic, then Mike.
Man it's a good thing I don't know where you live!!! :mad:
I don't care who you put after Michael, but Mike is the G.O.A.T in basketball and Ali is the G.O.A.T in boxing. Don't know who is the G.O.A.T nor do I care in any other sports. I'm too lazy to type it all out, otherwise I would love to debate the subject just for fun.

Andy C

Man it's a good thing I don't know where you live!!! :mad:
I don't care who you put after Michael, but Mike is the G.O.A.T in basketball and Ali is the G.O.A.T in boxing. Don't know who is the G.O.A.T nor do I care in any other sports. I'm too lazy to type it all out, otherwise I would love to debate the subject just for fun.
I still have the entire sports section from both Ali - Frasier fights in 71/72. I will agree with you about the Louisville Lip.

Goodboy

I still have the entire sports section from both Ali - Frasier fights in 71/72. I will agree with you about the Louisville Lip.
You know as fast and accurate as Ali was, no one seems to give him credit for his chin! When you add his great chin to the mix, that's what makes him the greatest in my book! :hat

Andy C

MJ was probably the most skilled ever. Magic changed the game. Never had a 6.9 player been a point guard and always looked to pass FIRST. He could've averaged 30 PPG easily, but the win was foremost.

Jabbar had the most dominant shot ever in his sky hook.

If MJ is not the GOAT, he is top 3.

Goodboy

MJ was probably the most skilled ever. Magic changed the game. Never had a 6.9 player been a point guard and always looked to pass FIRST. He could've averaged 30 PPG easily, but the win was foremost.

Jabbar had the most dominant shot ever in his sky hook.

If MJ is not the GOAT, he is top 3.
Oh! You're at it again are you? Well I am about to go out to dinner with my son and his wife so I will have to respond tomorrow.
I will make you say that MJ is the GOAT if it takes me all year!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! :)