Ken Starr, Alan Dershowitz join Trump’s impeachment defense team

antitox

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ken-starr-dershowitz-join-trumps-impeachment-defense-team

Ken Starr, the former independent counsel who led the Whitewater investigation into then-President Bill Clinton in the mid-1990s, and attorney Alan Dershowitz will joinPresident Trump’s impeachment defense team, Fox News has learned.

The prominent lawyers are among several attorneys added to the team as the president's impeachment trial gets underway, with proceedings kicking off Thursday and moving into full swing next Tuesday.

The team will also include former Florida attorney general Pam Bondi, former federal prosecutor Robert Ray and Jane Raskin, who was part of the president's legal team during former Special Counsel Robert Mueller's Russia probe. Both Starr and Dershowitz are former Fox News contributors.

The inclusion of Starr drew an immediate reaction from Monica Lewinsky, the former White House intern whose affair with Clinton eventually led to his impeachment before he was acquitted in a Senate trial. "This is definitely an 'are you f----ng kidding me?' kinda day," she tweeted.

Fox News reported earlier this week that White House Counsel Pat Cipollone will take the lead on the president’s defense team in the Senate trial, along with Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow. Cipollone deputies Michael Purpura and Patrick Philbin will also work on the team.

Dershowitz confirmed his role in a series of tweets on Friday, saying he would "present oral arguments at the Senate trial to address the constitutional arguments against impeachment and removal."

"While Professor Dershowitz is non partisan when it comes to the constitution -- he opposed the impeachment of President Bill Clinton and voted for Hillary Clinton -- he believes the issues at stake go to the heart of our enduring Constitution," he said in another tweet.

Trump was impeached by the House last month on articles alleging abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. They relate to Trump's urging Ukraine to launch investigations into the 2016 election and former Vice President Joe Biden's dealings in the country. Trump has denied the allegations, saying the phone call was "perfect."

The White House says that it is looking for a fair process that affords Trump the rights it says were denied to him in the House inquiry.

Despite that apparent expectation, the president in recent days has publicly pushed for the case to be outright dismissed, and for the Senate to bypass a trial completely.

“Many believe that by the Senate giving credence to a trial based on the no evidence, no crime, read the transcripts, ‘no pressure’ Impeachment Hoax, rather than an outright dismissal, it gives the partisan Democrat Witch Hunt credibility that it otherwise does not have,” Trump tweeted on Sunday. “I agree!”

TimeWarpWife

American Center for Law and Justice founder, Jay Sekulow, is also a part of POTUS' legal team. If I was in serious trouble with the law and needed a defense team, I'd want this team that POTUS has representing him. :yeah Plus, God appointed POTUS so it's His decision what's going to happen and if it's His decision that Donald Trump stays, then Pelosi, Schiffty, Nadler, Schumer, and the other Democrats can impeach until their faces turn blue and it won't make a bit of difference. :pray for God's protection around POTUS, VP Pence, and the entire Trump administration and that no weapon formed against any of them would prosper. I also pray that the Democrats get saved, but that all of their efforts to overthrow/remove President Trump will come to nothing and that every single one of them will be voted out of office this fall. In Jesus' name.

TimeWarpWife

I just felt the overwhelming need to contact POTUS and let him know he's not alone and that I'm praying for him, his administration, and his legal team. He's not perfect, none of us are, but what this man has been put through over the last 3 years is more than the average human could have dealt with. And POTUS is still getting things done with all of this Democratic insanity being directed at him. Maybe some of you might want to send him a message of encouragement. I know all of the letters and emails sent to POTUS are read, not directly by him, because my neighbor volunteers to help read them at the WH on Mondays. I'm sure that someone is probably tallying up the encouraging comments and passing that info on to POTUS. I think he really needs our encouragement since the Democrats completely lost their minds and went impeachment insane.

bigmoose

TWW thank you for your post and the encouragement to write POTUS! I have been sending off a letter every month for a long time, and for the same reason you do... this man deserves some encouragement for putting himself in the line of fire for we, the people.

He could of sold out, like all the others, but he is standing tall for us and the US Constitution! Not perfect, but there is only One who has been perfect that walked the face of the earth.

Great to hear all letters get read, I never knew that! I encourage all citizens to write him.

ByGod'sGrace

I just felt the overwhelming need to contact POTUS and let him know he's not alone and that I'm praying for him, his administration, and his legal team. He's not perfect, none of us are, but what this man has been put through over the last 3 years is more than the average human could have dealt with. And POTUS is still getting things done with all of this Democratic insanity being directed at him. Maybe some of you might want to send him a message of encouragement. I know all of the letters and emails sent to POTUS are read, not directly by him, because my neighbor volunteers to help read them at the WH on Mondays. I'm sure that someone is probably tallying up the encouraging comments and passing that info on to POTUS. I think he really needs our encouragement since the Democrats completely lost their minds and went impeachment insane.
Where do you contact him? I want to write him a letter, too.

Footsteps

Despite the asinine bloviating from pen-hoisting Nancy of Pelosi ("the President is PERMANENTLY IMPEACHED"), we are reaching the last act of this fiasco. I want PERRY MASON moments! I want it to become obvious to the most hardened liberal that it is perfectly ALL RIGHT for the President of the United States to ask a foreign leader to cooperate with the investigation of American SLEAZE IN HIGH PLACES OVERSEAS. I want previously unreported SLEAZE to OOZE OUT ALL OVER THE RUG! I WANT JUDGE ROBERTS to find at least six Democrats in contempt and order the Sergeant at Arms to handcuff them all to the statue of George Washington in the basement.

DanLMP

Read in the news today that Schiff is essentially claiming that Dershowitz is nothing but a defense attorney and not a Constitutional scholar.

If you have ever been to DC and gone and seen the founding documents you would have noticed that the writing on some of them has faded badly and is becoming illegible.

Prophetic?

fl2007rn

Back when Sarah Sanders was getting run out of restaurants and keeping her cool despite constant pressure from a mean spirited press corps, I wrote her a letter of support. I received a personally signed response. Same address.
Sarah Sanders is so awesome! I also love her father, Gov Mike Huckabee, and I voted for him years ago in a primary.

:pray Praying for President Trump and that this sham of an impeachment trial is over quickly.

antitox

Read in the news today that Schiff is essentially claiming that Dershowitz is nothing but a defense attorney and not a Constitutional scholar.

If you have ever been to DC and gone and seen the founding documents you would have noticed that the writing on some of them has faded badly and is becoming illegible.

Prophetic?
The thing is Schifty Schiff obviously has no idea that Dershowitz really is a college law professor.. Here's part of Wikipedia's info:

Alan Morton Dershowitz (/ˈdɜːrʃəwɪts/; born September 1, 1938) is an American lawyer and academic. He is a scholar of United States constitutional law and criminal law.[1][2] He has also been described as a noted civil libertarian.[1][3] He began his teaching career at Harvard Law School where, in 1967, at the age of 28, he became the youngest full professor of law in its history.

Leftists always deny reality. So Schifty denies reality of who people actually are.