Ken Johnson

Jeri minton

Thank you, Brother Albert R, ..I also see that he has some interviews on Prophecy Watchers, I've never seen anyone on those shows that I thought was encouraging unsound doctrine...this is good news for me because I learned something while watching that seminar...I don't know exactly how to explain it, but I kept thinking, God is so powerful, so intelligent, there are no human words that even begin to describe Him...I'm just trying to say that words don't even begin to describe how great our God is...millions or billions of times more than I could possibly understand in my present human state..if this makes any sense to anyone.

athenasius

Jeri I can vouch for Ken Johnson, I've been reading his books, and listening to his Tuesday night bible study for years. He is a Calvary Chapel pastor, now turned author and teacher. He remains in the Calvary Chapel distinctives as per Chuck Smith and others like Jack Hibbs. The Calvary Chapels have had a split, with the Emergent crowd going with Chuck's son in law, but Ken and Jack remain in the conservative and safe branch of the CC's. His specialty is ancient history as it lines up with the Word of God and to that end he will delve into non canonical Jewish history books like Enoch, Jasher or Christian history books like the Early Church Fathers. His treatment of those is not to place them on a level with Scripture, only to point out how these sources (like Josephus or Pliny the Elder) line up with and agree with Scripture. He is quick to point out errors, and later insertions into the text.

His work on showing the beliefs of the Early Church Fathers is quite useful when defending the Rapture, particularly the Pre Trib Rapture. Mid and post tribbers often make up the argument that Darby invented it. Not so at all. The Early Church Fathers most of them were pre trib believers and were literal in their interpretation of prophecy. They came against many of the teachings that gave rise to Catholicism and Calvinism and they argued against Replacement Theology. Ken's work is valuable if you've come up against any of those.

Be a little careful of some of the guests on Prophecy Watchers, some are very speculative and "out there", but he also has many on who are rock solid like Mark Hitchcock, who was defending the Pre trib Rapture on there this morning, and Andy Woods and Dr. Thomas Ice and other safe sound preachers.

Carol Berubee

Mid and post tribbers often make up the argument that Darby invented it. Not so at all. The Early Church Fathers most of them were pre trib believers and were literal in their interpretation of prophecy. They came against many of the teachings that gave rise to Catholicism and Calvinism...
Darby was a "calvinist." Virtually all of the men who first exposited a dispensational, premill, pretrib eschatology were "calvinists." Just sayin' :)

Jeri minton

Thank you, athenasius, appreciate the information..I don't have the background in Bible study that I wish I had, so I am careful about who I listen to..
Having major health problems the last several years has kept me closed off ..I am blessed to have internet TV and watch Dr Ice, Dr Woods, and others that I see speaking and teaching according to the Bible..,there are so many false teachers out there and I've noticed a common thread in them, ..usually they take isolated verses and tell people what the verses mean, but they spend a lot of time laying guilt trips on people about sending them money...I prefer to stay away from all of them...Ken Johnson's approach to teaching is going to help me learn ..

Jonathan

LOL,DanLMP, about the beard. Look, Ken Johnson isn't your average teacher. He delves into more esoteric parts of our faith and also places a great deal of importance of understanding Jewish roots and extra-biblical texts as well as church history. He's not for everyone. I have a number of his works both in print and on kindle. Always be a Berean.

Others here like Athenasius can probably tell you more, but from my experience there are no red flags.

Just remember he uses a lot of sources outside the Bible. This is not automatically a bad thing as long as they line up with scripture, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Jonathan

Jeri I can vouch for Ken Johnson, I've been reading his books, and listening to his Tuesday night bible study for years. He is a Calvary Chapel pastor, now turned author and teacher. He remains in the Calvary Chapel distinctives as per Chuck Smith and others like Jack Hibbs. The Calvary Chapels have had a split, with the Emergent crowd going with Chuck's son in law, but Ken and Jack remain in the conservative and safe branch of the CC's. His specialty is ancient history as it lines up with the Word of God and to that end he will delve into non canonical Jewish history books like Enoch, Jasher or Christian history books like the Early Church Fathers. His treatment of those is not to place them on a level with Scripture, only to point out how these sources (like Josephus or Pliny the Elder) line up with and agree with Scripture. He is quick to point out errors, and later insertions into the text.

His work on showing the beliefs of the Early Church Fathers is quite useful when defending the Rapture, particularly the Pre Trib Rapture. Mid and post tribbers often make up the argument that Darby invented it. Not so at all. The Early Church Fathers most of them were pre trib believers and were literal in their interpretation of prophecy. They came against many of the teachings that gave rise to Catholicism and Calvinism and they argued against Replacement Theology. Ken's work is valuable if you've come up against any of those.

Be a little careful of some of the guests on Prophecy Watchers, some are very speculative and "out there", but he also has many on who are rock solid like Mark Hitchcock, who was defending the Pre trib Rapture on there this morning, and Andy Woods and Dr. Thomas Ice and other safe sound preachers.
Excellent answer.

athenasius

I've been watching his beard grow over the years.
LOL Dan, I was so thankful when he finally trimmed it. I was worried he was trying to look like Noah just off the ark in desperate need of a trim. Far too distracting. Not saying men shouldn't have some face fur and all, just it's best when it's not looking like a Viking in full raider of the seas mode.

Off my little chuckle and on to the question at hand. Where areas of controversy come up, he always lands on the side of conservative theology instead of strange new theories resting on pure speculation and fragments of non canonical sources of history.

He uses these historical sources (not canon, not in the Bible, never should be) simply to point out where historical sources line up with a Biblical account. It answers those angry anti Bible historians who are hell bent on demolishing the Bible's reputation as truth. Those types often say there are no other historical documents that back up the claim that...fill in the blank.

He has used the Early Church Fathers writings to prove that yes indeed many of them WERE pre trib, pre mil people and the later amil position was actually a far later aberration in theology rather than something Darby thought up after a particularly bad case of indigestion.

What Ken does, is he takes the very historical documents that the historians and even some crabby post mil or amill theologians will listen to, such as Josephus, the Early Church Fathers, portions of Enoch, Jubilees, Jasher, Gad, the Ezra apocalypse and he proves that yes indeed there ARE other documents that back up what was said in Genesis or over in Kings etc. And that Darby may have brought a very ancient and close to the apostles teaching to restore to the modern church.

Last edited: