Justified by faith, we have peace with God

Pat

WHAT mATTERS – Jesus​

I can think of nothing that matters more than Jesus, and why He came. John 3:16 is probably the most quoted and well-known verse in the Bible, “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” But few quote or even know the next verse, “For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.”

The reason He didn’t come to condemn us, is that all mankind was condemned already before He came. It is the sin of Adam that makes us condemned.[1] We are condemned because we were born with Adam’s sin nature, and we prove it every day by committing sins.[2] The importance of Jesus’ coming, was not in the birth that we celebrate, but rather was in His death on the cross. In praying to His Father about His upcoming death, Jesus said, But for this purpose I came to this hour.[3] He came as a baby in the manger for the sole purpose of dying on the cross 33 years later to pay for the sins of the world.

An angel announced to the shepherds that a Savior, Christ the Lord, had been born. The angel continued by saying that these “good tidings of great joy” were “for all people.”[4] The joyful good news is that Jesus came as the Savior to make payment for the sins of all people. But His birth doesn’t save anyone. Salvation only comes to them who believe that Jesus came to live in faithful obedience to His Father, then died, was buried, and rose again for them personally. Becoming “born again” will happen to anyone who believes this good news. What matters is, “peace on earth, good will towards men” doesn’t come by believing that He came, but by believing why He came.

I close with a favorite blessing from scripture, which is also my personal prayer for you. “Now [may] the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing…”[5]

[1] 1 Corinthians 15:21-22; Romans 5:18
[2] Ephesians 2:1-3
[3] John 12:27
[4] Luke 2:8-14; 1 Timothy 4:10; Hebrews 2:9; 1 John 2:2
[5] Romans 15:13