Just saw movie Top Gun: Maverick...

RonJohnSilver

I thought it was great, Hollywood finally got one right. I won't spoil it for you but here's the highlights...

1. Profanity was occasional but appropriate when used. One F-word.
2. No sex/nudity. One kiss.
3. No forced diversity, that is, the obligatory 'gay' couple. The cast was representative of the general population.
4. No 'woke' themes. None.
5. Story was semi-plausible, that is, possible but unlikely. Acting was good. Music good. Computer graphics minimal.
6. Action was intense.
7. If you like airplanes (and who doesn't?), you'll love it.
8. Ending: Happy.
9. If there's a negative, it's that it has Tom Cruise in it. But even he is less annoying than in the first Top Gun and actually not bad.

O.K. that's all I'll say except for this. If you see it and you wonder what kind of plane was the 'enemy aircraft'?
Answer: It's a Sukhoi SU-57 Felon. Russian made, 5th generation.

My wife loved it and wants to go again. That's high praise.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I saw it. It was entertaining. The mission itself wasn't really plausible the way they laid it out. The US sending 3rd gen fighters against 5th gen enemy defenders? Don't think so. The ground to air antiaircraft missile response was also outside of the realm of reality. But it was entertaining, and that's why I watch movies...

I really liked the relationship between iceman (do I have that right) and maverick. I thought that was beautiful.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I thought it was great, Hollywood finally got one right. I won't spoil it for you but here's the highlights...

1. Profanity was occasional but appropriate when used. One F-word.
2. No sex/nudity. One kiss.
3. No forced diversity, that is, the obligatory 'gay' couple. The cast was representative of the general population.
4. No 'woke' themes. None.
5. Story was semi-plausible, that is, possible but unlikely. Acting was good. Music good. Computer graphics minimal.
6. Action was intense.
7. If you like airplanes (and who doesn't?), you'll love it.
8. Ending: Happy.
9. If there's a negative, it's that it has Tom Cruise in it. But even he is less annoying than in the first Top Gun and actually not bad.

O.K. that's all I'll say except for this. If you see it and you wonder what kind of plane was the 'enemy aircraft'?
Answer: It's a Sukhoi SU-57 Felon. Russian made, 5th generation.

My wife loved it and wants to go again. That's high praise.
Did it "Take your breath away " LOL

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I read one negative review and thought it was an interesting angle.
It was from an "exposing Scientology" website:

The first paragraph:

There’s a simple test of whether or not Top Gun: Maverick will work for you. How high is your tolerance for Tom Cruise worship, by every character in the movie? A movie in which even those who stand in the way of the great Pete “Maverick” Mitchell (Cruise) only do so because they have not yet realized the full goodness and greatness he possesses, and they have tragically misunderstood? If that reflex in the back of your throat isn’t tickled just a tad by this notion, you’ll be fine. Otherwise, feel free to join me in longing for Cruise to stop denying his age, and finally take on interesting roles again that aren’t simply about risking physical danger to prove he’s still got…something.

Search Tony Ortega and tom cruise and it will pop up.

Tom Cruise believes he owes any and all of his financial success to his techniques in Scientology. So they are seeing through all of the game behind it.

He has made a lot of good movies, can't deny.

GotGrace

saw it. It was entertaining. The mission itself wasn't really plausible the way they laid it out. The US sending 3rd gen fighters against 5th gen enemy defenders? Don't think so. The ground to air antiaircraft missile response was also outside of the realm of reality. But it was entertaining, and that's why I watch movies...
Oh well my small brain does not taketh in that which is complicatedeth. Maketh the small brain hurteth. :doh

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
What Top Gun: Maverick’s Success Says About America

For Tom Cruise, “Top Gun: Maverick” represents his best ever opening weekend. The smash hit raked in an astounding 300 million world-wide in its Memorial Day weekend opening. Previously, Cruise couldn’t seem to break the 100 million mark, but with this sequel to the 1986 classic he’s blown all his previous records out of the sky. It’s great news for Cruise, but it’s great news for America as well.

“Top Gun: Maverick” represents a feeling Americans have been missing for almost two years—pride in a rugged American exceptionalism. “Maverick” is a statement about how America sees itself and how the Washington politburo has everything wrong.

The movie isn’t overtly political. In fact, the executives purposefully obscure the “bad guy.” It’s a nameless, faceless “rogue state.” My only real criticism of the movie is that the bad guy pilots wear black helmets and black opaque visors, something common to cheesy dog fight movies and '80s shows like “Airwolf.” But beyond that, the acting and cinematography will have you pancaked in your seat feeling the weight of 10 Gs while smelling the acrid smoke fuming from multiple barrages of deadly accurate Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs). However, to the credit of Cruise and the other producers, the Taiwanese flag is included on the back of Maverick’s leather flight jacket—a not so subtle, double barrel, middle finger to the Chinese Communist Party.

Americans have endured almost two years of predictable-as-clockwork hate mongering and anti-America rhetoric from the Democrat Party. Having installed their mannequin “president,” they’ve pressed their social agenda, designed to destabilize the foundations of democracy—the nuclear family, church, the Constitution, and our common language—and are pressing ever forward to install their tried and failed Marxist political system.

https://townhall.com/columnists/joh...mavericks-success-says-about-america-n2608354

Flavius Sabinus

I saw it on Tuesday night. I absolutely loved it. Perfect summer movie for me which hearkens back to better times in America. Tom Cruise impressed me with his acting, particularly the scene with Admiral Iceman and the aerial/dogfight scenes blew me away. I was literally holding on to my seat because the flight scenes were so intense.

Flavius Sabinus

Finally saw the movie. Really liked it but I think I would have liked it even more if it was not overhyped. I also never saw the first one, so I might have had greater insight. Will have to see the first one and maybe watch the second one again.
Well there's no comparison in the flight scenes for sure. Maverick blows the first one away in intensity and realism. No CGI in Maverick either which is very rare nowadays for action movies.

ByFaithIFly

What Top Gun: Maverick’s Success Says About America

For Tom Cruise, “Top Gun: Maverick” represents his best ever opening weekend. The smash hit raked in an astounding 300 million world-wide in its Memorial Day weekend opening. Previously, Cruise couldn’t seem to break the 100 million mark, but with this sequel to the 1986 classic he’s blown all his previous records out of the sky. It’s great news for Cruise, but it’s great news for America as well.

“Top Gun: Maverick” represents a feeling Americans have been missing for almost two years—pride in a rugged American exceptionalism. “Maverick” is a statement about how America sees itself and how the Washington politburo has everything wrong.

The movie isn’t overtly political. In fact, the executives purposefully obscure the “bad guy.” It’s a nameless, faceless “rogue state.” My only real criticism of the movie is that the bad guy pilots wear black helmets and black opaque visors, something common to cheesy dog fight movies and '80s shows like “Airwolf.” But beyond that, the acting and cinematography will have you pancaked in your seat feeling the weight of 10 Gs while smelling the acrid smoke fuming from multiple barrages of deadly accurate Surface to Air Missiles (SAMs). However, to the credit of Cruise and the other producers, the Taiwanese flag is included on the back of Maverick’s leather flight jacket—a not so subtle, double barrel, middle finger to the Chinese Communist Party.

Americans have endured almost two years of predictable-as-clockwork hate mongering and anti-America rhetoric from the Democrat Party. Having installed their mannequin “president,” they’ve pressed their social agenda, designed to destabilize the foundations of democracy—the nuclear family, church, the Constitution, and our common language—and are pressing ever forward to install their tried and failed Marxist political system.

https://townhall.com/columnists/joh...mavericks-success-says-about-america-n2608354
I just saw the movie and as ex-Air Force. I was not disappointed especially the flying sequences. The Navy should get a HUGE requirting boost from this one. I also heard that the total of box office receipts ,world=wide, is over $500 Million and growing. That means Tom's paycheck to date is $50 million as he get's 10% of the gross profits. Mot bad...

3 Nails 4 Given

Sinner saved by the blood of Jesus
Can’t wait for the Blu-ray dvd to come out. When we want to watch a good old fashioned movie we put the original Top Gun movie in the home theater surround sound system. With the addition of a powered 12” subwoofer along with the rear channel speakers, it almost feels like a F14 flying through the house. It should be intense with Maverick.

We saw Maverick tonight and it was really good.