Just need some advice

HillBillyHero

I have been presented with an opportunity to take a new job with better pay and better benefits. The downside is that I'd have to sell my house and move 250 miles to another city. I'm single with no family here, but several friends that I've grown close to and I truly do like the people I work for. The problem is that I'm a contractor and our contract expires every 5 years. I started at the beginning of this 5 year segment and there's no guarantee that they'll renew it in 2 years. Typically what happens when it doesn't get renewed is that you get rehired with whatever company gets the contract next, but there's no guarantee. The new job would eliminate this instability and also place me an hour closer to my hometown where my elderly parents still live.

I'm not sure what do to and would appreciate the input from some godly men.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

First, pray about it. The Lord gives you the freedom to choose your job, your location, just honor him!

Second, take all the positives and negatives on a sheet of paper and see how they stack.

Third, see what doors open up and what doors close as you pray and seek his will.

Forth, do you feel peace with moving or staying?

God wants you to make the best choice. He is always with you, promises to never leave you nor forsake you.

One last thing, choose a red state ;)

HillBillyHero

Yes, definitely praying about it is the thing to do, sometimes I just need to hear from someone else. Everything about this seems good but change is always hard. I've lived where I am now for about 5 years and I've made a few friends, but this isn't home.

I'd be moving from one red state to another lol. That's not a problem. I lived in Illinois for many years and once I came back to The South, I said I'd never leave.

Brother Albert R.

First, pray about it. The Lord gives you the freedom to choose your job, your location, just honor him!

Second, take all the positives and negatives on a sheet of paper and see how they stack.

Third, see what doors open up and what doors close as you pray and seek his will.

Forth, do you feel peace with moving or staying?

God wants you to make the best choice. He is always with you, promises to never leave you nor forsake you.

Great advice...I would just add if it is God's will, then it will happen, just be willing to step out in faith. Change is hard, but not impossible, and in hind sight, you might say "Why did I wait". At the end of the day, contentment is derived from doing God's will and following His lead.
God bless you in what ever direction He chooses,
Brother Albert

Saguaro

Have an Exit Strategy_ I Thessalonians iv 17
I have been presented with an opportunity to take a new job with better pay and better benefits. The downside is that I'd have to sell my house and move 250 miles to another city. I'm single with no family here, but several friends that I've grown close to and I truly do like the people I work for. The problem is that I'm a contractor and our contract expires every 5 years. I started at the beginning of this 5 year segment and there's no guarantee that they'll renew it in 2 years. Typically what happens when it doesn't get renewed is that you get rehired with whatever company gets the contract next, but there's no guarantee. The new job would eliminate this instability and also place me an hour closer to my hometown where my elderly parents still live.

I'm not sure what do to and would appreciate the input from some godly men.
Martin Wells Knapp wrote a wonderful little book on ascertaining God’s will for any and every circumstance in life
It can be boiled down for easily remembered principles

SRPR

Is it:
SCRIPTURAL
REASONABLE
PROVIDENTIAL
RIGHT

Impressions by Martin Wells Knapp

I’ve been greatly helped when seeking God’s will when using this formula

Batman

In many ways you are right if you go and right if you don't go..........because life in either community can be seized, God can be elevated, and blessings can flow to and through you. I really believe there's so much freedom in Christ on these matters as long as you stay faithful, devout, and grow in the Word and your testimony.

GEOINTAnalyst

I have been a Military contractor for the last 20 years, one thing about contract work that I have learned is , one day the contract is fine the next day the contract is over. Then time to move on to something else, Most contracts run from 2 to 5 years with an option for renewal, then there is written in most contracts called "At government convenience" which means that Uncle Sam can terminate the contract at anytime. Some things to look at on your new opportunity is longevity - How long has the current company been doing it? - How stable is the contract? and What are the chances of renewal? Just because the current contractor may loose the contract the next company that comes in is looking for the same experience as the company who just left, most will pick up some of the previous employees since the training and security clearance is already completed. That has been my expierance anyway - Myself, I always talk to God about it then do his will to "bust a move or not"

JamesSuth

You have great advice here. The only other thing that comes to my mind is that you said the new location would be close to your elderly parents, and I see that as good motivation for the move. But pray about it and see what you have peace about.