Just bought a dash cam

LoudRam

After watching a bunch of dash cam videos I decided to get one for my protection. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it but I wanted a decent picture and I think I found the right balance. I got a Nextbase 222. It's front only. Walmart had it for $71 online and $79 in the store. The store matched the online price. It is $79 on Amazon too. It records in 1080 and it has a really nice picture during the day. The nighttime picture isn't bad. If there are other lights you can get a decent view. On a dark road you only see what my headlights illuminate. It also has park protect features that turns the camera on and records when it detects a bump which is nice. I'm not sure how I'm going to wire it yet. Right now it's just plugged into my battery cig lighter, that's a constant source. I hid the wire pretty well so it may stay that way for a while. The switched cig lighter has my radar detector in it.

Anyone else have one?

mattfivefour

Thanks for sharing, brother. I have a Rexing dual camera with built-in GPS. Too expensive for my pocketbook, but my son here in Springfield gave it to me for Christmas. I love the fact that the videos it records give my exact speed and location for every frame. Could come in useful in court one day. But ANY decent dash cam (like your Nextbase) is a great protection to have in one's vehicle. They show exactly what happened. No more he said, she said.

LoudRam

There are some nuts out there. One clip I watched had the guy setting at a red light when the Corvette in front of him put the car in reverse and backed into him. The vet then pulled forward and the owner got out and asked the guy with the cam why he hit him. The guy said I didn't, you backed into me and I have dash cam video to prove it. That's why I wanted one. The cam just paid for itself because the guy liked many of us probably had a $500 deductible. Insurance fraud using a Corvette, go figure.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I put cheap cams in all of our vehicles after someone ran in to me and then made up a fake story for the insurance company. The insurance company that insured us both bought the lie. The first ones I got have been retired because the date time stamp wasn't stable. The one I have now I like but it isn't made anymore. It's by aukey as is 1080p. I've never tried to hide the wiring, I just let it hang down from where the cam is attached to the windshield and I look the wiring around the rear view mirror so when/if the cam becomes detached from the windshield it'll just dangle and not fall any further.