John MacArthur's witness to Ben Shapiro

Jonathan

Ben Shapiro is one of my favorite pundits. He is a Jew, and rejects Christ, but he is smart as heck and is very conservative. I came across this video of John MacArthur witnessing to him and wondering what you all thought (I know, John is controversial is some ways, but I thought he did a good job).

Salluz

You mean we can change these titles?
I actually watched the video a few days ago because I've watched a lot of Ben Shapiro videos. I was thinking to myself I was sure that I heard the name John MacArthur somewhere... couldn't put my finger on it.

Watched the whole video, and I think he did a good job presenting the fact that Jesus is the messiah... but I remember reaching the end and thinking I never actually heard the gospel presented in clear terms, that all you need to be saved is faith in Jesus and his death and resurrection. It seemed hinted at but I felt it was lacking. Although I'm not sure if I watched the last two minutes or so. Maybe it was there?

Looked up his name on the forums and what came up were posts about lordship salvation, which would explain why the gospel wasn't presented in clear terms as far as I could tell

Jonathan

Not only that, Dr. MacArthur is a dyed-in-the-wool five-point Calvinist.
Yea.. yea, I know. That is why I qualified my post by saying he was controversial. Regardless, feel free to delete my post if you feel it gives undue status to MacArthur. I certainly don't believe in Calvinism. I just thought it was a good conversation between him and Shapiro. But if it is not helpful, please delete.

Lynn

Interesting comment by one of the top leaders of Calvinism.
Yes, Dr. MacArthur got it right when he began his comment by saying, 'The Bible says. . .', and I applaud him for that. However, he is the foremost teacher of Lordship salvation, and for over 20 years, I was in bondage to that false teaching.
For that, I cannot give him applause. God will certainly judge each one of His born again children, and I can't help but wonder how things will go for these well known ministers who get some things right, but not others.

Lynn

I bet all of us get "some things right but not others". I think our Lord is very gracious with our stupidity.
Yes, you're certainly correct in saying this. However, teachers are going to have a more strict judgment. I took this warning very seriously when I was teaching God's Word to others. When people write books, go on TV, have sermons online, have a regular radio broadcast, in addition to preaching at a very large church, I think they will have a stricter judgment than Christians who do not wield such mighty influence all over the country, and to some extent, overseas.

maranatha14

I know this video has been out for a year now, but I just recently discovered it. I figured there was a post about it here on the Rapture forum!

Like many, I love listening to Ben. I admire how he says what he thinks at the very time he is asked. (I always go home and think,
"why did I say.......?") He is very smart, and he knows his Old Testament. But, I love John MacArthur's responses to him, and the fact that he uses the Old Testament to show that Christ is the Messiah. I pray for Ben often. I know he is very serious in his Orthodox faith, and does his best to follow the OT scriptures. But I don't want him to miss out on our Messiah!

Many rabbis in these Last Days have turned to Jesus. Let's pray the same for Mr. Shapiro.