John Cooper: We Have a Cool Pastor Problem .Make Pastors Uncool Again.

endofdays

Make Pastors Uncool Again.
Pastors shouldn’t be rock stars. Yeah I said it. A rock star promotes himself, builds his brand, and entertains people. It’s his job. A pastor is supposed to lay his life down for his sheep. He serves, he protects, and he equips the saints for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12). So why does it seem like many of our celebrity pastors are obsessively self-promoting, building their own brands, and protecting themselves by never preaching or teaching anything that would put them in Twitter prison? Yes, it’s sad and devastating to watch our leaders fall into sin, but when the foundation is built so poorly it shouldn’t be all that surprising.
Many Christians have been saying this for years and its past time that I join them: I’m tired of celebrity pastors. Pastors aren’t supposed to be cool. They’re not supposed to be fashion trend setters. We are ALL called to decrease, that Christ would increase both in our hearts and in our lives (John 3:30). HIS fame should be known, not OURS. Celebrity Pastors, get out of the way! You’re hogging the spotlight by making yourself the story. Instead, you should be taking some hits on the front lines by stating clearly what God commands. Celebrity pastors seldom do this. Instead, most of what we hear is rhetorical gobbledygook, veiled mysticism, and repackaged new-age movement self-help promotional material disguised as the work of the Spirit.
My pastor helped change my life in college. “Really, who?” Exactly. He remains faceless, nameless, and will never get the adoration of the world because his desire was for Jesus to have all of the glory. He taught me how to read and understand the Bible. He took my midnight phone calls, he instigated the necessary but uncomfortable conversations, he taught me the importance of sexual purity, and he even taught me how to paint a house and balance a checkbook. It almost sounds more like being a father, doesn’t it? Working, serving, teaching your kids and never expecting a “thank you” or a hand clap is what pastoring is all about.
Pastors, I am thankful for you. Many are serving faithfully and you will be rewarded by God. But for the pastors who are receiving their reward on earth, I have a request for you: please stop looking for adoration from the world. We don’t need you to look “awesome”, we need you to be fearless and preach the gospel according to the unchanging, authoritative Word of God. Stop finding clever ways to evade questions. You know the ones—God’s commands about sexual morality, Gods authority structure in the Church and at home, biblical justice instead of the religion of modern social justice. Answer them. And answer them clearly for heaven’s sake. Please stop trying to find new ways to explain the perceived inconvenient truths of God’s Word. You ought to love what He loves and hate what he hates. This used to be a prerequisite for church leadership. Today, its deemed radical and even bigoted.
Play time is over. The spiritual battle is raging, and the field is full of wimps and boys who have never picked up a sword because it just “feels mean.” We need generals and leaders who don’t care about their brand, their look, their “likes”, or making allegiances with the world. In short, it’s time to make pastors uncool again.

John L. Cooper

https://churchleaders.com/news/386298-john-cooper-we-have-a-cool-pastor-problem.html

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
I may have posted this poem before on RF (forgive me if I have), but in any case it is à propos.

PREACHER BOY

Arriving in luxury, Happiness isn't the message.
Tickling ears, selfies, 'see mees', really gurgitates my stomach.
Hell has been perfumed beyond recognition.
People are desperate, the time is urgent,
Eternity is at stake.
Quit with Mr. Media already, do what you were called to do.

Last edited:

FaithnHope

Loved and changed by Jesus.
Pastors shouldn’t be rock stars. Yeah I said it. A rock star promotes himself, builds his brand, and entertains people. It’s his job. A pastor is supposed to lay his life down for his sheep. He serves, he protects, and he equips the saints for the work of ministry (Ephesians 4:11-12). So why does it seem like many of our celebrity pastors are obsessively self-promoting, building their own brands, and protecting themselves by never preaching or teaching anything that would put them in Twitter prison? Yes, it’s sad and devastating to watch our leaders fall into sin, but when the foundation is built so poorly it shouldn’t be all that surprising.
Many Christians have been saying this for years and its past time that I join them: I’m tired of celebrity pastors. Pastors aren’t supposed to be cool. They’re not supposed to be fashion trend setters. We are ALL called to decrease, that Christ would increase both in our hearts and in our lives (John 3:30). HIS fame should be known, not OURS. Celebrity Pastors, get out of the way! You’re hogging the spotlight by making yourself the story. Instead, you should be taking some hits on the front lines by stating clearly what God commands. Celebrity pastors seldom do this. Instead, most of what we hear is rhetorical gobbledygook, veiled mysticism, and repackaged new-age movement self-help promotional material disguised as the work of the Spirit.
My pastor helped change my life in college. “Really, who?” Exactly. He remains faceless, nameless, and will never get the adoration of the world because his desire was for Jesus to have all of the glory. He taught me how to read and understand the Bible. He took my midnight phone calls, he instigated the necessary but uncomfortable conversations, he taught me the importance of sexual purity, and he even taught me how to paint a house and balance a checkbook. It almost sounds more like being a father, doesn’t it? Working, serving, teaching your kids and never expecting a “thank you” or a hand clap is what pastoring is all about.
Pastors, I am thankful for you. Many are serving faithfully and you will be rewarded by God. But for the pastors who are receiving their reward on earth, I have a request for you: please stop looking for adoration from the world. We don’t need you to look “awesome”, we need you to be fearless and preach the gospel according to the unchanging, authoritative Word of God. Stop finding clever ways to evade questions. You know the ones—God’s commands about sexual morality, Gods authority structure in the Church and at home, biblical justice instead of the religion of modern social justice. Answer them. And answer them clearly for heaven’s sake. Please stop trying to find new ways to explain the perceived inconvenient truths of God’s Word. You ought to love what He loves and hate what he hates. This used to be a prerequisite for church leadership. Today, its deemed radical and even bigoted.
Play time is over. The spiritual battle is raging, and the field is full of wimps and boys who have never picked up a sword because it just “feels mean.” We need generals and leaders who don’t care about their brand, their look, their “likes”, or making allegiances with the world. In short, it’s time to make pastors uncool again.

John L. Cooper

https://churchleaders.com/news/386298-john-cooper-we-have-a-cool-pastor-problem.html
Yes!!!! I am fighting this in the publishing world!!! I want a book focused on Jesus. I am not interested in writing about me unless it glorifies Jesus! No one wants to talk to an author without several hundred thousand followers on social media. They want it to be all about me. I have literally spent years sharing the gospel with people who just checked me out because of my craft books. Some followed and most left. I have had the honor of actually leading a few to Jesus! That would not have happened had it all been about me.
I left my last social media yesterday. I truly felt the Lord say it was time to close up, I was casting pearls before swine. I don’t want to be cool, I want to share Jesus!

crossnote

fully dependent upon His grace
Televangelist are the worst! The LORD said to Moses, if you lift a hammer up to build the Alter of hewn stone then you have defiled my Alter (paraphrased). Meaning human effort defiles any work for the Lord.
So you don't like hearing, "Be healed! (but first send in that $100)" or "Touch not the Lord's Annointed!"?

Last edited:

daygo

I may have posted this poem before on RF (forgive me if I have), but in any case it is à propos.

PREACHER BOY

Arriving in luxury, Happiness isn't the message.
Tickling ears, selfies, 'see mees', really gurgitates my stomach.
Hell has been perfumed beyond recognition.
People are desperate, the time is urgent,
Eternity is at stake.
Quit with Mr. Media already, do what you were called to do.
Good one.

Jewel79

Yes!!!! I am fighting this in the publishing world!!! I want a book focused on Jesus. I am not interested in writing about me unless it glorifies Jesus! No one wants to talk to an author without several hundred thousand followers on social media. They want it to be all about me. I have literally spent years sharing the gospel with people who just checked me out because of my craft books. Some followed and most left. I have had the honor of actually leading a few to Jesus! That would not have happened had it all been about me.
I left my last social media yesterday. I truly felt the Lord say it was time to close up, I was casting pearls before swine. I don’t want to be cool, I want to share Jesus!
I agree with you completely! Let's live each day to glorify Jesus. I, too, was recently led to get off social media for good. God bless you!

SafReb

I hate that word - cool. Like Jesus said I rather you are hot or cold because if you are the latter, I can walk away. But cool or lukewarm means that I don't know what you stand for or represent.

As a very young and native kid in foster care, I was befriended by an elderly widowed lady (75-80 years old) at my foster mother's church, who visited me regularly because she later told me that she was led to do so. My foster mother was a typical religious churchgoer with very little knowledge of the bible.

I believed that the Lord used this lady to reveal the personal aspect of a one to one relationship with the Lord. She became my friend or surrogate grandmother. I'll never forget her and over the years I've missed her terribly. When we were together we never watched tv or anything like that. Instead, she will pray and will teach me from the bible. She was always fasting. In later life she reminded of the widow Anna, the Prophetess in Luke 2.

She will tell me testimonies of how the Lord saved and looked after her, and how He used her and her husband to witness to people, knocking at doors and stopping them in the streets. This was in the 60s in England at a time when black people were not welcomed and were treated differently, often racially discriminated against.

She was always excited in talking about the Lord and her teaching made the bible come alive. Remember, I was young and came from a totally different culture and religion.

I have not met anyone like her in person who loved the Word as much as she did.

If that relationship had continued, I would've been able to deal with the tragic events I faced as a young person when I had no family or church support because she died in my teens.

We need people like that. I sppose that's why I connect to Christian leaders like Ray Stedman, Major Ian Thomas, John Walvoord and Hudson Taylor. Men who were great teachers and missionaries.

I find myself, over the years, to be praying for someone like her.

Unfortunately, for many church leaders the ministry has become a job rather than shepherding the flock like Jesus did.

SafReb

John L. Cooper

The problem is that John Cooper is not your average Christian. He is a founding member of Skillet the "Christian" rock band. Their image is more of a heavy metal band that includes the usual accessories i.e. makeup, piercings, tattoos and weird imagery.

In 2013, he was being promoted by the Billy Graham ministry. The article stated that "underneath the hard guitar rifts, eye makeup and massive pyro show, there’s a heart that loves Jesus and is certainly not ashamed of the Gospel......“I couldn’t understand why they didn’t want me listening to Metallica,” said Cooper, a believer in Christ since the age of 5. “They wanted to do what was right. They believed rock and roll was evil. Drums were evil. Wearing black was evil. I was really bummed.”
https://billygraham.org/story/skillets-heart-reaching-the-unreachables/

This is Skillets' weird and bizarre website:
https://www.skillet.com/victorious?ref=Typed/Bookmarked

Lynn

Longing for Home
I find myself, over the years, to be praying for someone like her.
Even though I am the age of the elderly friend you describe, I have needed a friend like her so badly and prayed for one to come into my life for the spiritual encouragement she would have been to me. Instead of sending me a friend like her, God has seen fit to use me as a mentor to several women who are younger than I am. I've enjoyed doing the mentoring, for sure, but, oh, how I would love a woman friend who is older and 'way wiser than I am to discuss life issues with.

Andiamo

"Let's go!"
Even though I am the age of the elderly friend you describe, I have needed a friend like her so badly and prayed for one to come into my life for the spiritual encouragement she would have been to me. Instead of sending me a friend like her, God has seen fit to use me as a mentor to several women who are younger than I am. I've enjoyed doing the mentoring, for sure, but, oh, how I would love a woman friend who is older and 'way wiser than I am to discuss life issues with.
Lynn, I so wish this covid stuff wasn't closing doors. As a former health care worker, I will tell you that your friend may be found in a nursing home or assisted living facility. You would be astounded at the conversations I have had with some, and the gold nuggets of wisdom I still hold on to.

Lynn

Longing for Home
Lynn, I so wish this covid stuff wasn't closing doors. As a former health care worker, I will tell you that your friend may be found in a nursing home or assisted living facility. You would be astounded at the conversations I have had with some, and the gold nuggets of wisdom I still hold on to.
Yes, I agree. In past years, I've gone to these facilities when visiting widows from our church. They are indeed precious, and sadly, often forgotten.

First Peter 1:3-9

I miss ole fashion church and street preachers! Jesus had compassion on the multitudes and saw them as sheep with no Shepherd but Jesus is the Word of God he spoke truth and that is how the people love! Gods love brings us truth and leads us to repentence and humbling and holiness and purity and purifying. God never gives me permission to live how i want, we can be tempted and totally outside of Gods will. Gods will is salvation and sanctification and purifying and serving him in newness of life to whom much is given much is required. Love speaks scriptural truth and over and over the bible teaches how we are to follow as christians and although in the world not of the world. I think of the movie time changer and how desensitised we are in our day and culrure and country. i keep praying for strong courageous men to stand and lead and feed the sheep to protect women and children and not be afraid to tell truth and feed not what we want to hear but what we must hear in order to repent and live in but not a part of the world equip to face persecution that Jesus and the apostles told of and following in truth will mean persecution.

First Peter 1:3-9

A Pastor reminded about 1 Samuel chapter 28:3 beginning there. It is dangerous to say God said something when he did not. To go to mediums/ the occult. The enemy works and decieves through this. We have the Word of God today. Concerns when there are people that make any predictioms period. Even saying Trump would be reelected that is dangerous and the ministry is hurt and blamed people that may not be saved or baby christians wont understand or question .....God only God knows! This could make one bitter..... so much has crept into the church again as I read 2 chronicles and our nation today first i examine my own heart before God what have i put first in our desensitised culture and truly in our day and time. During this virus and rereading Jeremiah chapter 7 how ought the church believers walk. We are buried with Jesus in baptism and raised up in newness of life. The bible says our conversation should.become the gospel so the ministry is not blamed. How we all handle the Word of God is HUGE. So many things books etc over the years certainly have been used and many i had to dump as i continue to grow. Now i stick to the bible although grateful for some books but now hope we all start stocking up on bibles for the times ahead as everything virtual, christian stores closed or closing and new versions replacing truth.

SafReb

Everyone of those things are neither here nor there. Where the evil comes in is in the content of the lyrics. Are they pushing lies, false ways, prideful attitudes etc.?
I've not listened to their lyrics. I used to listen to rock music specially heavy / Nu metal many many years ago, but I was convicted and threw away all the records.

I will not endorse this band simply because of the imagery on their sites and the numerous pictures of the band when I Google them. Furthermore, one particular image disturbed me, which was the hand gesture of horns. Another is their dark video "save me" which I liken to watching a horror scene. I'm not prejudiced because they are a rock band but because of the aforementioned as well as the guys wearing makeup. I also have issues with a number of worship bands like Hillsong and Bethel, even though the lyrics they sing may sound Christian, you only have to watch their videos, furthermore their doctrine does not align with the bible. So, lyrics alone doesn't pass the smell test.

Last edited: