"Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone"

JamesSuth

I was thinking about Luke 9: 19-20 yesterday. Jesus asked the disciples "Who do you say I am? Peter answered 'The Christ of God'. Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone". Of course now, after the Resurrection, we are commanded like the disciples to proclaim who Christ is to the ends of the earth. But at that moment in time Jesus told them not to reveal that. There is probably nothing more important than who Christ is, and it is a message we are told to take to the ends of the earth. So I confess I've often thought of this instruction of Jesus like some kind of false modesty, as if He didn't really mean it in the light of what was to come. At the weekend I realised how wrong I was in that thought and repented in my heart. Jesus strictly told them not to at that time. I reflected on this: That Jesus knows what he is doing. Obeying Christ is trusting Him to know best in all the circumstances of life. Doing what He says, when He says to do it. Jesus wants the whole world to know who He is, and He doesn't want the world in the mess that it is today, or filled with the lies and deception. But if He allows things for a season, there is a reason. Perhaps just like this instruction in Luke 9 I don't understand why, but I'm left with the same thought; He knows what He is doing. What do others think?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I was thinking about Luke 9: 19-20 yesterday. Jesus asked the disciples "Who do you say I am? Peter answered 'The Christ of God'. Jesus strictly warned them not to tell this to anyone". Of course now, after the Resurrection, we are commanded like the disciples to proclaim who Christ is to the ends of the earth. But at that moment in time Jesus told them not to reveal that. There is probably nothing more important than who Christ is, and it is a message we are told to take to the ends of the earth. So I confess I've often thought of this instruction of Jesus like some kind of false modesty, as if He didn't really mean it in the light of what was to come. At the weekend I realised how wrong I was in that thought and repented in my heart. Jesus strictly told them not to at that time. I reflected on this: That Jesus knows what he is doing. Obeying Christ is trusting Him to know best in all the circumstances of life. Doing what He says, when He says to do it. Jesus wants the whole world to know who He is, and He doesn't want the world in the mess that it is today, or filled with the lies and deception. But if He allows things for a season, there is a reason. Perhaps just like this instruction in Luke 9 I don't understand why, but I'm left with the same thought; He knows what He is doing. What do others think?
I thought that he might have ordered them to be quiet about who he was so that he could continue his plans to go to the cross JMHO

greg64

God's timing is perfect.

A couple of things I think that are related to that verse:

Daniel 9:25 was fulfilled to the day on Palm Sunday when even the rocks would have cried out if people were silent.

I also think Andy Woods makes a good case about how the kingdom needed to be offered to the Jews and rejected first. When the religious leaders attributed God's work to the devil, that happened. I think this was the unforgivable sin. They then confirmed that choice up to and through passion week.

All of which shows exactly how much God is in control and truly does know the end from the beginning.

Back