Jesus never uses the names of people he doesn't know?

townerka

So, I have a question/statement and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

One of the things I hear a lot of Christians and people mention is that they don't want to hear from Jesus:

"Depart from me, I never knew you."

I've always found this interesting so I started doing some research. In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, he calls Lazarus by name but never says the name of the rich man. During the night he is betrayed he refers to Judas by names like, "one of the twelve, son of destruction, etc." but doesn't seem to use his name. I can't find anywhere in Scripture where Jesus personally uses the name of someone who isn't saved. I could be wrong of course? I found it fascinating that his very words seem to line up with, "I never knew you."

ByGod'sGrace

under His wings - Psalm 91:4
Very interesting question...perhaps the same reason Adam was the one who named all the animals on Earth (and Eve!) during creation (showing guardianship over them). If a non-believer is not under the care/protection of the Shepherd, Jesus, He would not call them by name(?). I am interested to hear the other answers in this thread.

Also, brings to mind the interraction between Jesus and Legion. Mark 5:6-10. Jesus asks the name of the demon(s), but why? Doesn't he already know?

I am going to research Jewish custom of speaking another's name and what that means.

Edited to add: I have not found an answer yet. Lol!! I am curious about what other people say. I guess it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but I am very curious why Jesus asked the man possessed by demons what his name was. Jesus knew stuff (the history of the woman at the well), so wouldn't he already know the name of the man possessed and the name of the demon(s)? So, what culturally could this signify, and does it even matter?

Last edited:

cavalier973

Well, I have skimmed through Matthew and Mark, and He mentions Caesar and Herod. Oh, and Satan.

He has mentioned Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Elijah several times, Jonah a couple of times, He addresses Simon Barjonah directly. David and Abiathar, Abel and Zacharias son of Barachias, and Moses also get mentioned. Isaiah. Jeremiah. John the Baptiser. Daniel. Solomon.

Moving into Luke's gospel, we have: Elisha and Naaman the Syrian, Simon the Pharisee, Martha and Mary, the Lazarus mentioned in the OP and Lazarus the brother of Martha and Mary, Noah and Lot, Zacchaeus, He does speak to Judas, calling him by name in Luke 22:48.

On to John's gospel:
Philip, Mary (Magdalene), Thomas

Numerous people were mentioned in each gospel, but I didn't add a name to a gospel's list if it had been mentioned in a previous gospel.

Addition: Book of Acts, we have Saul, Ananias, and Judas.

Book of Revelation:

Antipas, Balaam, Balac, Jezebel,

Last edited:

ByGod'sGrace

Since Jesus knew certain things (the woman at the well), why did he asked the man possessed by Legion his name? I am wondering if there is a cultural thing about if someone reveals his/her name to you?

cavalier973

Since Jesus knew certain things (the woman at the well), why did he asked the man possessed by Legion his name? I am wondering if there is a cultural thing about if someone reveals his/her name to you?
A good question.

He was able to sometimes cast out demons without even seeing the possessed person (the Syro-Phonecian woman's daughter).

Last edited:

mattfivefour

Pastor Dave Guzik in his outstanding Enduring Word Commentary (enduringword.com) has an answer that mirrors mine. Since I am short for time tonight, I will share his words:

"What is your name? Jesus probably asked for the name so that we know the full extent of the problem, knowing that the man was filled with many demons (Legion) and not just one. A Roman legion usually consisted of 6,000 men. This does not mean that the man was inhabited with 6,000 demons, but that he had many.​
"i. From the account as a whole, we see that Jesus was not playing into the ancient superstition about knowing a demon’s name. In fact, Jesus showed that it was unnecessary for Him to know the name of the demon. When they replied “Legion,” they really weren’t saying a name, but simply trying to intimidate Jesus with a large number. Legion said, “There are a lot of us, we are organized, we are unified, we are ready to fight, and we are mighty.”​
"ii. If it was important for Jesus to know their names, He could have demanded “name, rank, and serial number” for each of them one by one. But Jesus would not play into their superstitions. His power was greater than them. When it comes to demons and spiritual warfare, we must never be caught up in foolish and counter-productive superstitions.​
"iii. According to the superstitions of the day, the onlookers probably felt that the unclean spirits had the upper hand. They knew and declared a full name of Jesus. They evaded His request for their name. And finally, they hoped to frighten Jesus with their large number. But Jesus didn’t buy into these ancient superstitions at all and easily cast the unclean spirits out of the afflicted man.​
"iv. “The answer may be evasive, the demons desiring to withhold their true names from Jesus in a desperate attempt to thwart his power. It is also possible that the name may have been selected to invoke the fear of a powerful name.” (Lane)"​

Yet with no effort, I might point out, He cast them all out. In fact they pleaded with Him and could not resist His command. Jesus, even uncrucified and unrisen, was far more powerful than all of them put together ... for He is Almight God.

I pray this helps.

townerka

Well, I have skimmed through Matthew and Mark, and He mentions Caesar and Herod. Oh, and Satan.

He has mentioned Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Elijah several times, Jonah a couple of times, He addresses Simon Barjonah directly. David and Abiathar, Abel and Zacharias son of Barachias, and Moses also get mentioned. Isaiah. Jeremiah. John the Baptiser. Daniel. Solomon.

Moving into Luke's gospel, we have: Elisha and Naaman the Syrian, Simon the Pharisee, Martha and Mary, the Lazarus mentioned in the OP and Lazarus the brother of Martha and Mary, Noah and Lot, Zacchaeus, He does speak to Judas, calling him by name in Luke 22:48.

On to John's gospel:
Philip, Mary (Magdalene), Thomas

Numerous people were mentioned in each gospel, but I didn't add a name to a gospel's list if it had been mentioned in a previous gospel.

Addition: Book of Acts, we have Saul, Ananias, and Judas.

Book of Revelation:

Antipas, Balaam, Balac, Jezebel,

So Caesar is a title I believe? Satan is also a title I thought as well? Obviously Herod is a name. The names he mentions in Revelation are from other parts of the Bible already written down so that makes sense. Since he does call Judas by name in Luke 22:48 this is obviously not always the case in Scripture. I just thought it was interesting he doesn't seem to use some people's names. Thanks for the help everyone!

Edit: I should clarify he doesn't seem to use the names of unbelievers versus believers.

Last edited:

cavalier973

Yes, Caesar became a title, but it started as a name. I thought about that, actually--whether a government title would count.

Marvellous thread.,though, because it got me to do a speed read through the Gospels, and then I remembered Antipas, in the letter to Pergamos.

That led me to look through Acts, to see if the Lord Jesus mentioned anyone by name in that book. It was very interesting to see how often He speaks, usually to Paul.

Batman

So Caesar is a title I believe? Satan is also a title I thought as well? Obviously Herod is a name. The names he mentions in Revelation are from other parts of the Bible already written down so that makes sense. Since he does call Judas by name in Luke 22:48 this is obviously not always the case in Scripture. I just thought it was interesting he doesn't seem to use some people's names. Thanks for the help everyone!

I agree Caesar is a title but I think satan is actually the word adversary.

One of the things I hear a lot of Christians and people mention is that they don't want to hear from Jesus:

I've always found this interesting so I started doing some research. In the parable of the rich man and Lazarus, he calls Lazarus by name but never says the name of the rich man. During the night he is betrayed he refers to Judas by names like, "one of the twelve, son of destruction, etc." but doesn't seem to use his name. I can't find anywhere in Scripture where Jesus personally uses the name of someone who isn't saved. I could be wrong of course? I found it fascinating that his very words seem to line up with, "I never knew you."

Interesting question.

I am reminded of John 21:25, where John mentions a great deal was not written down. It is a little like proving something by a lack of evidence, it can't be done. The lack of Christ not addressing the unsaved by name is impossible to know.

But then it also makes sense, so I don't really have any answer. :lol

I would think if you are standing in front of the Creator, your name seems frivolous. You certainly know He is talking to you! And He knows who He is talking to.

Rocky R.

With regard to the rich man and Lazarus, of course Jesus knew what the man's name was. However, in refusing to say his name, Jesus may have been driving the point home to His listeners that the formerly rich man (now in Hell) has no need of his name any more. In Hell, an individual is totally alone and left in unlimited misery, but without the company that misery loves. There's no new names there, not even the old names. There is nothing to distinguish a damned soul from anybody else because every one else is gone...either in Heaven, still on Earth, or confined to their own private Hell-cells at distances immeasurable. The formerly rich man has lost everything, even his own soul. That's because in Hell, a damned human soul no longer reflects God's attributes and probably doesn't bear His image any more. Therefore, without the God-image in that man, could you call him a human being? That's why Christ doesn't use his name, it reflects his damned state.

RonJohnSilver

I have always thought that when Jesus used a persons name, that He was referring to that actual person. When Jesus used a descriptor (a rich man or a certain man or a householder), He was using a fictional story to illustrate some truth.

DanLMP

I have always thought that when Jesus used a persons name, that He was referring to that actual person. When Jesus used a descriptor (a rich man or a certain man or a householder), He was using a fictional story to illustrate some truth.

If I recall correctly, the context of Lazarus and the rich man implies an actual event?

ByGod'sGrace

Isaiah 43:1...? God calls us by our name if we are His. My human name given by my parents is Melissa, but I'm not sure if we will have new names in heaven...?

RonJohnSilver

If I recall correctly, the context of Lazarus and the rich man implies an actual event?

You are correct, I was not clear. The story of the rich man is an actual event. The rich man is not a specific person but is meant to symbolize any unbeliever.

Back