Jesus image, hidden in plain sight at Negev church, is one of earliest in Israel

Almost Heaven

An early depiction of Jesus was recently discovered in a circa 6th century Byzantine church deep in Israel’s Negev Desert. Dr. Emma Maayan-Fanar identified the Christian Messiah’s portrait from a few faint outlines with the help of a combination of conditions that was almost miraculous.

Alongside Haifa University archaeologists and conservationists Prof. Guy Bar-Oz, Yotam Tepper, and Ravit Linn, art historian Maayan-Fanar is participating in a multi-year interdisciplinary research project called the Negev Byzantine Bio-Archaeology Research Program at the UNESCO World Heritage Site, Shivta. Its self-stated goal is to look into “the reasons for the collapse of a complex society in an environmentally marginal region 1,500 years ago.”

Maayan-Fanar told The Times of Israel this week that during a recent visit to the North Church, one of three at the site, she glanced at the baptistery apse above her and immediately saw the face of Jesus staring down at her.

“I was under the apse at the right place at the right time. It’s just so hidden — it’s impossible to see — but the conditions of the light were just right,” said Maayan-Fanar.

In an article in the August edition of the journal Antiquity, the research team writes that the face, set in a larger depiction of Jesus’ baptism, is “the first pre-iconoclastic baptism-of-Christ scene to be found in the Holy Land.”

In the Antiquity report, the researchers write, “Despite its fragmentary condition, it reveals a youth’s face depicted on the apse’s upper section. The figure has short curly hair, a prolonged face, large eyes and an elongated nose.”

“Christ’s face in this painting is an important discovery in itself. It belongs to the iconographic scheme of a short-haired Christ, which was especially widespread in Egypt and Syro-Palestine, but gone from later Byzantine art. Early sixth-century texts include polemics concerning the authenticity of Christ’s visual appearance, including his hairstyle. Based on iconography, we estimate that this scene was also painted in the sixth century AD,” write the authors.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/jesus...at-negev-church-is-one-of-earliest-in-israel/

maryrae

Well, no one knows for sure what he looks like except that he would look like the rest of the Jewish population of that time....definitely NOT European/Anglo-Saxon. That's not real easy for me to "get my head around" because most of the artist depictions I've seen- both present decades and earlier centuries- are just that, European.

HeIsRisen

Second Commandment. Word Origin. noun. “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them nor serve them”: second of the Ten Commandments.

I don't care for all of the graven images our society continuously makes of angels, Christ, satan, fallen angels, etc. I believe the second commandment is pretty straight forward, and it says we aren't to make these things. Our society has done this for so long, I actually have been nearly cussed out by Christians who argue that all these "cute" ceramic angels and pictures of these things are "perfectly acceptable" and I am wrong for trying to be so "sticky" on this subject....but I challenge Christians to really consider the 2nd commandment and reconsider, fwiw.

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
Second Commandment. Word Origin. noun. “Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them nor serve them”: second of the Ten Commandments.

I don't care for all of the graven images our society continuously makes of angels, Christ, satan, fallen angels, etc. I believe the second commandment is pretty straight forward, and it says we aren't to make these things. Our society has done this for so long, I actually have been nearly cussed out by Christians who argue that all these "cute" ceramic angels and pictures of these things are "perfectly acceptable" and I am wrong for trying to be so "sticky" on this subject....but I challenge Christians to really consider the 2nd commandment and reconsider, fwiw.
Agree totally with you, HeIsRisen.

maryrae

If we take the second commandment as written, then we shouldn't have pictures on our walls, or any part of furnishings such as wall hangings, rugs, beautiful carvings, dishes, etc etc. .... at least the way I read it..... "any likeness of any thing in heaven above... earth beneath...in the water....."
Am I wrong in my understanding?

HeIsRisen

If we take the second commandment as written, then we shouldn't have pictures on our walls, or any part of furnishings such as wall hangings, rugs, beautiful carvings, dishes, etc etc. .... at least the way I read it..... "any likeness of any thing in heaven above... earth beneath...in the water....."
Am I wrong in my understanding?
Maryrae: My understanding of this scripture is that is speaks in reference to angels, Christ and the Lord. We are not to have these images as people are deemed to worship those things (remember the golden calves?). I don't know that there are pictures in heaven, rugs, beautiful carvings, and dishes. I know that Christ is there and angels are there and demons are cast out and even in the earth beneath....and as far as I know, this is what the verse is in reference to. I think of all the churches and places elsewhere that have pictures of images of Christ, but these are images and not actually His image....same with angels.
Anyway, I try to follow this best I can as best I understand it.

Almost Heaven

This all hinges on the words "graven image" this means an object made by man to represent God and made for the purpose of worship. The over arching meaning is idol worship. I see no problem unless people are worshiping, praying to, etc. their bric-a-brac.

Back