Jerusalem District Court Reimposes Prohibition on Jewish Prayer at Temple Mount

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Jerusalem District Court Reimposes Prohibition on Jewish Prayer at Temple Mount
Caving in to Arab threats in order to “safeguard the public order.”
By Hugh Fitzgerald

In 1967, Israel’s Minister of Defense Moshe Dayan made a fateful decision. Just after Israel, through force of arms, took possession of east Jerusalem, including the Old City and the Temple Mount, Dayan declared that Jewish visitors to the Mount would not be allowed to pray, either aloud or silently, at the site. You read that right: At the holiest site in Judaism, Jews would not be allowed to pray. Dayan, himself completely secular and insufficiently appreciative of the rights of religious Jews, thought that such a prohibition would be a way of winning favor with the Arabs. Fifty-five years later, we see that it did not. Instead, at that point in time, when the Arabs were still reeling from their defeat, Dayan could have insisted that “at Temple Mount both Muslims and Jews will have their rights to pray guaranteed,” and the Arabs would have had to accept it. And the world, not then poisoned with anti-Israel sentiments, would have applauded: Freedom of religion for everyone. Who, except for the Arabs and Muslims, could object? In June of 1967, when support for Israel in the Western world was at its zenith, no one.

Over the last few years, the Israeli police on the Temple Mount, who are charged with the task of preventing Jews from praying, have loosened up a bit on their rigorous enforcement of the prohibition. They have begun to allow — by looking the other way — Jews to mouth silent prayers. And just weeks ago, three Israeli boys wanting to challenge the prohibition, said the “Shema” prayer aloud on the Temple Mount and then bowed, before the police took them away and charged them with violating the prohibition. The presiding judge at the Jerusalem Magistrate’s Court decided in favor of the boys, and against the Israeli enforcement of that longstanding prohibition on Jewish prayer.

The Arabs then erupted in fury, threating all kinds of violence, and accusing Israel of, inter alia, planning to take over the Al-Aqsa Mosque and turning it into a synagogue. In other words, the Israelis were faced with the unhinged anger of Palestinians and Israeli Arabs. The Israeli government promptly appealed the decision, and the Jerusalem District Court reversed the lower court’s decision, not out of any appeal to justice – justice would have demanded, rather, that Jews should be allowed to say prayers at the holiest site in Judaism – but only in order to avoid the violence that the Arabs threatened would be the result if Jews started praying aloud on the Temple Mount.

The full report on the Israeli court’s decision is here: “Israeli Appeal Court Quashes Ruling on Jewish Prayer at Temple Mount,” Algemeiner, May 25, 2022:

…Three Jewish youths who received a restraining order after praying at the site successfully challenged the police decision at Jerusalem Magistrates Court, which ruled on Sunday that their actions had not constituted a breach of the peace.

That prompted protests from the Palestinian leadership, threats from Palestinian militants and a pledge from Israel that the status quo would be preserved.

The state filed a counter-appeal on Wednesday with Jerusalem District Court, which found in favor after nightfall.

“The special sensitivity of the Temple Mount cannot be overstated,” Judge Einat Avman-Moller said in her ruling.

A right to freedom of Jewish worship there “is not absolute, and should be superseded by other interests, among them the safeguarding of public order,” she said.

In other words, whenever Arabs offer a credible threat of violence, their wishes must be respected in order to “safeguard the public order.” This is the so-called “heckler’s veto” on stilts.

In a statement to Reuters before Wednesday’s ruling, Nati Rom, a lawyer for the defendants, said: “It is strange and regrettable that, in the 21st century, in a Jewish and democratic country, the basic human rights of Jews would be so harmed.”…

“Strange and regrettable” indeed, that in the Jewish state, while Muslims on the Mount – sometimes numbering in the hundreds of thousands – can pray at any time and on any day, inside Al-Aqsa and on the 35-acre Al-Aqsa Compound –Jewish visitors on the Mount can visit only during four hours each day, and only on five days in the week and what is far worse, are prohibited from saying prayers at the holiest site in Judaism, lest Muslims be offended.

The overturning of the Jerusalem Magistrate Court’s ruling that gave Jews the right to pray is one more example of that weakness of Israeli leaders, who keep thinking that they can satisfy the Arabs by showing good will, by bending over backwards, by not doing anything to annoy them. It doesn’t work. The Arabs pocket every Israeli concession as theirs by right. Dayan’s fateful ruling in 1967, prohibiting Jews from praying on the Temple Mount, has prevented the exercise of religious freedom by Jews alone, and done nothing to mollify the Arabs. So Dayan’s 1967 Temple Mount Mistake still stands. What will it take, one wonders, how many more years of Israel yielding on the rules applied to the Temple Mount must pass, until the prohibition on Jewish prayer is finally revoked?

https://www.raptureforums.com/israe...prohibition-on-jewish-prayer-at-temple-mount/

daygo

Stufff like this makes me think the Rapture is still far, far off. Israel is the real testament to where we are on the prophetic calendar and every advancement seems to be knocked back before you even get the chance to be excited.
Know what you mean, but imo it's meant to happen could be wrong however Israel are spiritual blind so these things are going to happen till the ezekiel war, then everything will change again it's just my opinion I can be wrong.

MapleLeaf

Know what you mean, but imo it's meant to happen could be wrong however Israel are spiritual blind so these things are going to happen till the ezekiel war, then everything will change again it's just my opinion I can be wrong.
I know it will happen one day. Just seems to be no signs it is happening soon. I guess if you subscribe to the gap theory then I guess it could all happen after the Rapture. I don't think there will be much of a gap (maybe days? weeks? months at most?) so I think we'd see something building before that. And yeah, Israel is still spiritually blind right now. Maybe the Ezekiel War could be a trigger. Such an event would embolden them to not care what the muslims think.

daygo

I know it will happen one day. Just seems to be no signs it is happening soon. I guess if you subscribe to the gap theory then I guess it could all happen after the Rapture. I don't think there will be much of a gap (maybe days? weeks? months at most?) so I think we'd see something building before that. And yeah, Israel is still spiritually blind right now. Maybe the Ezekiel War could be a trigger. Such an event would embolden them to not care what the muslims think.
I think they'll be a gap, not sure how long, ezekiel war would start to make things happen but then something else that's significant will have to happen don't know what, just a feeling I have about these things, to me everything is nonsensical at the moment with Israel, eg being the six day war then allowing Jordan to have part control, thereby letting the Muslims have their way.

athenasius

Thing is, stuff in the Middle East tends to happen suddenly. They go on for so many years and suddenly-- on God's timetable the nation is born in a day, and it survived that day -- when the surrounding nations tried to wipe them out, and took what Jordan then called the West Bank which is Judea and Samaria.

Years go by, and then the 1967 war when the neighbourhood again tries to wipe Israel off the map and take the land. They regain the Temple Mount, Jerusalem and the West Bank but in a strange twist, they give control back to the Arabs who shoved them out in 1948. In spite of the fact the area called "TransJordan" was taken from the area promised to the Jews (along with Israel) and given to the Arabs as their own homeland.

Other wars for survival, the Jews winning back bits such as the Golan Heights in piecemeal fashion. Bits trade back and forth as America and the UN encourage "land for peace" and what happens is Gaza in a nutshell. Any land the Arabs are given is used as a beachhead for attacks on Israel from within and close by.

When the Temple is rebuilt this may happen AFTER the Gog Magog war, and for that matter after the Rapture.

A lot of good theologians experienced in prophecy think that the way Daniel mentions the covenant (that begins the Trib) and the Temple in the same breath might indicate it is the price for the covenant with the Antichrist.

He somehow guarantees them the right to build that Temple (and as Katt mentions here)
I believe the Al-aqsa mosque may be in the part of the temple grounds that God tells John not to measure for it has been given over to the gentiles for a time...

It would explain the spiritual reason for why the Islamics keep winning this particular battle...
the site may be offset from the mosques or perhaps God removes the mosques during the Gog Magog war which mentions a huge earthquake.

Since he then desecrates the Temple midway thru the Trib, it has to be built early in the Tribulation period because the sacrificial system is fully underway.

The fact that the Temple Institute has prefabbed the instruments, woven the curtains, made the priestly garments and has been conducting practice sacrifices offsite with the newly trained priests does speak to this happening "soon"-- soon being in relative terms, Biblical terms for soon.

It could be built, up and running in a very short time after getting permission to build. That's all I'm saying.

I don't think the Red Heifer breeding program or waiting for the Temple to be built will happen while we are still here. That Red Heifer program serves only to see how God slows them down by ensuring each Red Heifer is disqualified.

(for those who don't know, the ashes of the Red Heifer are necessary for the cleansing rituals, however there are some indicators that the Temple Institute may know where some ancient burial site is with the ashes from antiquity-- that goes along with the Copper Scroll stuff which some view as Jeremiah's map to the temple stuff buried before the army of King Nebuchadnezzar invaded and looted the Temple. Kind of interesting but a little bit speculative)

So if we see Temple prefab work (we have) and practice sacrifices (we do) then we know that at some point in the not too distant future, there will be a Temple.

But it may be restrained, just as I think The Restrainer is acting today to restrain evil and impose GODS Timetable on the events around us. That's what I think is happening with the Red Heifer program and it's why I think Moshe Dayan gave the Temple Mount over to Jordanian control (the WAQF) in 1967. It wasn't time yet.

But when God lets things out, they tend to go FAST. 1948, 1967 etc. Just think back to the Trump peace plan on Jan 23, 2020-- and how fast the world changed and how suddenly it was shelved for the Abraham Accords. All very sudden changes. Abrupt.

daygo

Well said athanasius, I think with all the preparations made in regard to the 3rd temple it could be fully operational in a few months if not weeks. I do think things are being restrained in regards to the temple.