JEHOVAH TSIDKENU

Pat

WHAT mATTERS – The LORD our RIGHTEOUSNESS​

The unsaved have little, if any, understanding of God's righteousness. They tend to think of religious people or good people or famous missionaries as being righteous. People like Billy Graham, or Mother Teresa, or nineteenth-century missionary George Muller. People who have given their lives over to selfless ministry to others. But are these the ones God recognizes as righteous people? No. Nothing that these people did or could have done made them righteous in God's eyes. There has never been and never will be a righteous man that attained righteousness by doing good works or keeping the laws of God.[1] Every man from Adam on, was born spiritually dead in unrighteousness.[2] Romans 3:10 tells us, There is none righteous, no not one. The Pharisees, the most holy, religious, spiritual leaders of Jesus' day, claimed to be the most righteous of all people, and yet Jesus said, unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.[3] So what does it take to be righteous enough to enter heaven?

Referencing Abraham as an example, the book of Romans tells us, …to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.[4] Notice that God’s righteousness comes by faith, not by doing good works. Whatever we do in our own efforts to please God comes up woefully short of His standards, But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags.[5] Paul went on in the New Testament describing man’s efforts to be righteous like this, For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God. He then describes God's method of bestowing righteousness to mankind, For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. [6]

God's righteousness is a perfect righteousness which He gives to anyone who receives it by faith, i.e. when someone believes the Gospel. Jesus himself becomes our substitutionary righteousness before God. He is known from eternity past and is described in the Old Testament as, Jehovah Tsidkenu, the Lord our Righteousness.[7] Paul fully understood this when he said, (That I) be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:[8] What matters is, what are you counting on for righteousness? Your own efforts, or Him.

[1] Galatians 2:16
[2] Romans 5:12-21; 1 Corinthians 15:22; Ecclesiastes 7:20
[3] Matthew 5:20
[4] Romans 4:5
[5] Isaiah 64:6
[6] Romans 10:3,4
[7] Jeremiah 23:6
[8] Philippians 3:9

Andy C

Referencing Abraham as an example, the book of Romans tells us, …to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.[4] Notice that God’s righteousness comes by faith, not by doing good works. Whatever we do in our own efforts to please God comes up woefully short of His standards,
Amen, and points not completely understood by many Christians to include some pastors.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Great post, as usual! :)

I'm so thankful for God providing me His righteousness through faith in Jesus Christ! When first understanding this, it was a blessing and incredible relief! That Christ lovingly and willingly paid it all for me and the whole world, if they so choose, is an incredible gift of salvation.

The deal of an eternal lifetime!!

• 100%
Reactions: Pat