I've been thrown a curve

Cloud Watcher

Last month I posted a thread asking about Texas. My son was planning to buy property and move there. He talked about wanting a 5 acre place so his 2 Mastiffs (which I refer to as the Hounds of the Baskervilles) would have a place to run. I was supposed to go with him. I've been sharing his house here for several years. I can't afford to live on my own on the little I get from Social Security. Monday through Thursday he lives in housing up at the dam where he works in the northern part of the state. Then he comes down for the weekend. I look after his house down here, do the yard work, collect his mail, keep squatters from moving in, and look after the 2 dogs when he takes vacation trips or during the weeks that he is sent to do special projects at a couple other dams in the state. It also gave me the comfort of knowing that if I died in my sleep it wouldn't take weeks or months for someone to find my body if they hadn't heard from me in awhile.

In the past week or so, his girlfriend, the real estate investor, bought a house in Texas. My son has suddenly informed me that he is selling this house and will be moving in with her. And there's no room for me. What happened to buying his own place? I can't believe he is now going to abandon me. He claims there is housing here in the state for low income people where you only pay a percentage of your income. Maybe so, but the waiting lists to get in one are over a year long. What am I supposed to do, put my stuff in storage and go live in a homeless camp?

My daughter doesn't have room for me. Five of her eight children still live with her. She made a passing comment about the cost of living, which gave me an idea. I did a search online for states with the highest to lowest cost of living. It turns out Washington ranks #8. I was surprised to see Oregon is #5. Idaho is #35, one state lower than Texas. So I am seriously considering Idaho. I did a search for the rankings there, and the least expensive places were in the southern part of the state. I would have preferred the north. I would actually like to see the state before I make any kind of decision.

So life has turned topsy turvy. For the first time in my life I would be utterly alone, far from family, no one to help me if I was sick or injured. No hugs. How will I live without hugs?

So, does anyone here know anything about Idaho?

Cloud Watcher

I'm sorry if you have discussed this before, but are your kids believers?

Yes, but my son isn't walking in it. He does ask for prayer when he is in serious need of something to go well for him. He's been divorced for 20 years, and has had a series of girlfriends. He can't seem to live without a woman in his life, but he hasn't trusted any of them enough to get married again.

My daughter is very involved in her church, and is involved in their church school/homeschool. Her youngest child is 13. She divorced her husband after she found out he cheated on her. He doesn't pay support since he is now disabled from not taking care of his diabetes after he was first diagnosed.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
My daughter doesn't have room for me. Five of her eight children still live with her. She made a passing comment about the cost of living, which gave me an idea. I did a search online for states with the highest to lowest cost of living. It turns out Washington ranks #8. I was surprised to see Oregon is #5. Idaho is #35, one state lower than Texas. So I am seriously considering Idaho. I did a search for the rankings there, and the least expensive places were in the southern part of the state. I would have preferred the north. I would actually like to see the state before I make any kind of decision.

Cost of living is relative to one's individual situation. When I first started looking I didn't realize I was looking at clickbait until all 50 states had been presented as low cost of living/good to retire to... Then I found Kiplingers and you can analyze at least the different tax situations for the different states that you're interested in. Here's the link to the site that proved to be quite helpful for me: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/reti...by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees/index.php

In income is non-existent then housing, food prices and quality medical care availablity are probably more important than the stuff that Kiplinger analyzes...

Andy C

Cost of living is relative to one's individual situation. When I first started looking I didn't realize I was looking at clickbait until all 50 states had been presented as low cost of living/good to retire to... Then I found Kiplingers and you can analyze at least the different tax situations for the different states that you're interested in. Here's the link to the site that proved to be quite helpful for me: https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/reti...by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees/index.php

In income is non-existent then housing, food prices and quality medical care availablity are probably more important than the stuff that Kiplinger analyzes...
Good info on your link, thanks for posting it.

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel
He claims there is housing here in the state for low income people where you only pay a percentage of your income. Maybe so, but the waiting lists to get in one are over a year long.
I'm sorry to hear how things are going, but with God in charge, He can move you up to the top of the list as soon as you need a place. My mother was told the same thing and it only took two months for her to move into a one bedroom apartment, which was perfect provision and timing in her situation. Praying for you! :pray

Lynn

Longing for Home
So I am seriously considering Idaho. I did a search for the rankings there, and the least expensive places were in the southern part of the state. I would have preferred the north. I would actually like to see the state before I make any kind of decision.
CW, is the state of Idaho a long way from where you currently live?
Also, just a thought, people pay 'big bucks' for overnight care for their pets. If you could get situated in a place that would make overnight pet care an option for you, it might be enough to make up the difference in costs between south/north Idaho.

Cloud Watcher

CW, is the state of Idaho a long way from where you currently live?
Also, just a thought, people pay 'big bucks' for overnight care for their pets. If you could get situated in a place that would make overnight pet care an option for you, it might be enough to make up the difference in costs between south/north Idaho.

I currently live in the south Puget Sound region of Washington, not far from JBLM, the joint army/air force military base. Idaho is the next state to the east. Probably about 350 miles away. Less, as the crow flies, and perhaps more, depending on the route.

sawas

I currently live in the south Puget Sound region of Washington, not far from JBLM, the joint army/air force military base. Idaho is the next state to the east. Probably about 350 miles away. Less, as the crow flies, and perhaps more, depending on the route.
Hey CW - Housing isn't cheap throughout most of the Puget Sound Region, but you can find some deals if you poke around areas like Chehalis, Shelton, Aberdeen, Port Angeles, etc. Some of these smaller burgs are well off the beaten path and will also have some more affordable RV spaces if you're inclined toward that. I'd be scoping out older studios in those cities, most of which will stay well below current apartment levels, especially in Pierce Co or north.

I'd also (strongly) recommend that you look into general affordable and 55+ housing options, many of which have income-driven affordable rents for some or all of their units, depending on the program to which they are associated. Pierce Co. has a low-income housing webpage (here) that can get you started closer to home. Many of the outlying counties provide something similar. Hope that helps.

Lynn

Longing for Home
My daughter doesn't have room for me. Five of her eight children still live with her.
CW, does your daughter and her family live in WA state area? Now that I'm a lot older, ('way older than you, most likely), I realize how 'very' important it is to one's well being to be near family (grandchildren). Two of our grandsons are coming to see us this week. I'm overjoyed as I anticipate their visit. :yeah
We'll make such sweet memories like we did in their younger years when they lived closer to us.
Final thought: even though you can't live with your daughter, have you thought about perhaps trying to live nearby? Grandchildren need their grandparents.