It's Why They Call Us Hypocrites

Pat

WHAT mATTERS? Quit Striving to be a Good Christian
“There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works,” Hebrews 4:9-10

Religion has convinced the church that once we are saved, we must now show the world how holy we have become. Immediately we are born again, we see a contrast between being a new creation in Christ, brought about by the work of God, and the old selfish creature we were, brought about by having the nature of Adam. The battle between the flesh and the spirit begins. Satan desires us to do religious works in the flesh and God desires us to rest and let Him do His work through us. All that we have that is useful to God comes from Him. We are not to do anything for God, we are simply to let Him work in us by faith. Think of the various gifts and ministries we see operating through the people in the church. Paul told the Corinthians not to be proud about what they had been gifted with as if they, or their gifts were something special of themselves. “For who makes thee to differ from another? And what hast thou that thou didst not receive? Now if thou didst receive it, why dost thou glory, as if thou had not received it?” 1 Corinthians 4:7 They had fallen into the trap of religion, thinking that God wanted them to do good things to please Him, instead of listening to, and then agreeing with Him to walk by faith, “For without faith it is impossible to please Him.” Hebrews 11:6

The churches in the region of Galatia had fallen into the same trap, even to the point of changing the Gospel from trusting by faith the completed work of Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection for salvation to a false Gospel of adding “good works” to be saved. Though many in those churches were saved, they were teaching that to be “spiritual” you must also be keeping Jewish law. In the church today we do the same, judging each other by our outward behavior as a standard of what a “good” Christian is, (don’t smoke, don’t drink, don’t go to movies, don’t gamble, do read the Bible more, pray more, smile more, sing louder, etc.) Here is how Paul rebuked them for that, “O foolish Galatians, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you? This only would I learn of you, received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? Are ye so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?” Galatians 3:1-3 The answer is, no, they were not.

What matters is that God doesn’t need our help, our money, our evangelistic effort, our talents. He does want our acknowledgement of when being outside of His control and leading, we have nothing to offer. But when we by faith acknowledge the indwelling power of Him, the supernatural works of God are manifested, and miracles happen. Jesus walked this way and understood it was His Father that worked in Him when He said, “Believe thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwells in me, He does the works. John 14:10 We need to do likewise. The world will then see true Christianity, not Christian religion.

mattfivefour

What matters is that God doesn’t need our help, our money, our evangelistic effort, our talents. He does want our acknowledgement of when being outside of His control and leading, we have nothing to offer. But when we by faith acknowledge the indwelling power of Him, the supernatural works of God are manifested, and miracles happen. Jesus walked this way and understood it was His Father that worked in Him when He said, “Believe thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwells in me, He does the works. John 14:10 We need to do likewise. The world will then see true Christianity, not Christian religion.
This is the brilliant conclusion to a great article! Thanks for posting this, Pat. You have given sound teaching ... which I hope will translate into actual practice on the part of those who read it. In fact, they only need to read this last paragraph to get the entire point. Great job!