Israeli Scientists Find Combined Weight of All Bugs on Earth - Study

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I wouldn't want to be accused of not being green and upsetting the balance, so I'll forego my share of bug additive :biggrin

Israeli Scientists Find Combined Weight of All Bugs on Earth - Study​

The collective weight of terrestrial arthropods is about 1 billion tons, which is roughly the same as the weight of all people and farm animals on Earth combined.

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH
Published: FEBRUARY 3, 2023 21:15
Updated: FEBRUARY 4, 2023 04:02

"Researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot have now taken a significant step toward answering these questions. In a study published in the journal Science Advances, a team headed by Prof. Ron Milo has calculated that the total biomass (collective weight) of terrestrial arthropods is about one billion tons, which is roughly the same as that of all people (about 400 million tons) and all farm animals (about 600 million tons) on earth when combined."

More
https://www.jpost.com/environment-and-climate-change/article-730523

Carl

I wouldn't want to be accused of not being green and upsetting the balance, so I'll forego my share of bug additive :biggrin

Israeli Scientists Find Combined Weight of All Bugs on Earth - Study​

The collective weight of terrestrial arthropods is about 1 billion tons, which is roughly the same as the weight of all people and farm animals on Earth combined.

By JUDY SIEGEL-ITZKOVICH
Published: FEBRUARY 3, 2023 21:15
Updated: FEBRUARY 4, 2023 04:02

"Researchers at the Weizmann Institute of Science in Rehovot have now taken a significant step toward answering these questions. In a study published in the journal Science Advances, a team headed by Prof. Ron Milo has calculated that the total biomass (collective weight) of terrestrial arthropods is about one billion tons, which is roughly the same as that of all people (about 400 million tons) and all farm animals (about 600 million tons) on earth when combined."

More
https://www.jpost.com/environment-and-climate-change/article-730523
For those of us who didn't know.
From the britannica, Dec 2, 2022arthropod, (phylum Arthropoda), any member of the phylum Arthropoda, the largest phylum in the animal kingdom, which includes such familiar forms as lobsters, crabs, spiders, mites, insects, centipedes, and millipedes. About 84 percent of all known species of animals are members of this phylum.
Interesting that crabs and lobsters are included!

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Bugs float, so their weight number must be off....

Unless the crab and lobster shells make up the bulk of the weight.

I will gladly reduce the crabs and lobsters to maintain even weight distribution on earth. Old Bay and some clairified butter please!

RedRx

In a follow-up study the same researchers calculated that the hot air produced by the hosts of The View in one episode was enough to carry all of those bugs to the moon and back…….twice! It’s really not surprising when you think about it.

Back