Israel declares coronavirus lockdown for Passover holiday feast

Almost Heaven

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced on Monday a national lockdown would begin on Tuesday and end on Friday to try to stem the spread of the new coronavirus during the Jewish holiday of Passover.

In a televised address, he said travel restrictions would be tightened on Tuesday and that Israelis will be banned from leaving their homes on Wednesday evening, when families traditionally travel to festive Passover “seder” meals.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...down-for-passover-holiday-feast-idUSKBN21O2NT

kathymendel

In my late husband's family, the seder meal was always held on Friday or Saturday evenings, during the Passover week.
They never had it on a weeknight, that I recall. Of course, they were in California and not Israel. In L.A, rules, and even tradition,
get tweaked in the name of convenience. (There was one year, just recently, I have heard, when they postponed it by an extra week!!!) ????
.......... because one family member was out of town) :doh

Almost Heaven

With 3 hours until proposed lockdown, no word from government on regulations
With just three hours remaining until a nationwide lockdown is meant to take effect across Israel, preventing Israelis from leaving their city of residence, there is still no word from the government on the regulations or what exactly they entail.
The cabinet is set to approve a closure and curfew over the Passover holiday to stem the outbreak of the coronavirus, but there is uncertainty over when it will take effect and how long it will last. The Prime Minister’s Office has not yet released any official communication on the measures.
Yesterday Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said that, beginning at 4 p.m. today, Israelis will not be able to leave the cities where they live until Friday at 7 a.m.
However, on Monday Hebrew media, citing a draft of the measures to be approved by ministers, said the lockdown would end on Saturday evening at 8 p.m. The reports also said restrictions on traffic would begin at Tuesday at 2 p.m., two hours earlier than cited by Netanyahu.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/liveb...kdown-no-word-from-government-on-regulations/

Kaatje

My soul waits for the Lord, and in His Word I hope
The government approved a set of new restrictions on Tuesday based on those laid out the day before by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: The quarantine will begin Tuesday at 7 p.m., limiting traffic from city to city until this Friday at 7 p.m. Specifically, from Tuesday at 7 p.m. to Friday at 6 a.m., a person is prohibited from leaving the area of his local municipality except to get food, medicine or other essential products or to obtain essential services. Moreover, from Tuesday at 8 p.m. until April 12 at 8 a.m. there will be no public transportation, including international flights. From Wednesday at 3 p.m. until Thursday at 7 a.m., all food stores in the Jewish sector must be closed. Moreover, Jerusalem will be divided into seven boroughs, and traffic between them will be restricted, unless this is an essential need. Police will be allowed to enforce these regulations and can prevent vehicles from traveling, as well as asking people to supply ID and information about their comings and goings.Children of divorced parents can be transported between homes.

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Coronavirus-closure-could-last-past-Passover-reports-623856

Almost Heaven

The cabinet also approved a temporary curfew that will begin on Wednesday from 3 p.m. and last until Thursday morning. The curfew is designed to restrict movement and prevent Israelis from being more than 100 meters from their home.

In addition, public transportation will cease at 8 p.m. Tuesday evening until Friday morning, when services will be available only for a few hours until the start of Shabbat.

Fears over the resurgent spread of COVID-19 have led the government to impose severe restrictions over the Passover holiday, which includes barring travel between cities and municipalities, shuttering the use of public transportation, and imposing curfews on virtually all citizens.

https://www.i24news.tv/en/news/isra...proves-nation-wide-lockdown-ahead-of-passover

SkyRider

I didn't read the original account of the Passover before replying, but weren't the Israeli's given instructions to remain in their houses - with the blood splashed on the lintel and sides of the doors of their houses - during the original Passover while the angel of death passed over Egypt? So these current instructions seem rather fitting.

daygo

I didn't read the original account of the Passover before replying, but weren't the Israeli's given instructions to remain in their houses - with the blood splashed on the lintel and sides of the doors of their houses - during the original Passover while the angel of death passed over Egypt? So these current instructions seem rather fitting.
Does make you think.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
The government approved a set of new restrictions on Tuesday based on those laid out the day before by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu: The quarantine will begin Tuesday at 7 p.m., limiting traffic from city to city until this Friday at 7 p.m. Specifically, from Tuesday at 7 p.m. to Friday at 6 a.m., a person is prohibited from leaving the area of his local municipality except to get food, medicine or other essential products or to obtain essential services. Moreover, from Tuesday at 8 p.m. until April 12 at 8 a.m. there will be no public transportation, including international flights. From Wednesday at 3 p.m. until Thursday at 7 a.m., all food stores in the Jewish sector must be closed. Moreover, Jerusalem will be divided into seven boroughs, and traffic between them will be restricted, unless this is an essential need. Police will be allowed to enforce these regulations and can prevent vehicles from traveling, as well as asking people to supply ID and information about their comings and goings.Children of divorced parents can be transported between homes.

https://m.jpost.com/HEALTH-SCIENCE/Coronavirus-closure-could-last-past-Passover-reports-623856
KAatje you're doing a better job than the Israeli government being up to date on this AHAHAHAHAHAH.
You truly have a gift for detail !!!

kathymendel

This is certainly NOT the norm for the Jewish Passover observance! I hope it does mean something big.
I hope the people, themselves, find the meaning and importance of Passover in their hearts this year.
It was so sad to host seder in our home and have the younger kids saying, "There is no God"........... and getting
their kicks out of being able to drink wine. The older they got, the more they drank, and more than once got snockered.
It was only a ritual of reading the hagadah (sp?) and they paid no attention to the words and meanings. Passover meant more to me and my husband, as Christians at that table than it did to any of them. I pray for them still.............