ISIS Is About to Destroy Biblical History in Iraq

Barbasol

PARIS — More than two and a half millennia ago, the Assyrian King Senaccherib descended on his enemies “like the wolf on the fold,” as the Bible tells us—and as Lord Byron wrote in cantering cadences memorized by countless Victorian schoolchildren: “His cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold; And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea.”

The Assyrian and Babylonian empires appear throughout the Old Testament as examples of ruthless grandeur and godless decadence. The Bible says Sennacherib’s army was destroyed by the Angel of the Lord. The Israelites were carried off to Babylon, where they wept by the waters. And since the middle of the 19th century, archeologists have labored mightily to unearth the mythical and the verifiable past in the extraordinary cradle of civilizations they used to call Mesopotamia and now call Iraq.

No trace ever has been found of the Garden of Eden, said to have lain near the confluence of the Tigris and Euphrates, but one of the great prizes the excavators did discover was Senaccherib’s capital, Nineveh, which the biblical prophet Nahum called “the city of blood, full of lies, full of plunder, never without victims!”

Last month, a new marauder descended on Nineveh and the nearby city of Mosul. He, too, came down like the wolf on the fold, but his cohorts brandished Kalashnikovs from pickup trucks, not shining spears; their banners were the black flags of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Sham.

ISIS Is About to Destroy Biblical History in Iraq - The Daily Beast

brethorn56

Even Darwin Believes Now!!!
It sounds like they destroyed Jonah's tomb which I guess was at some mosque.

Now they have ordered the female genital mutilation of 4 million women Iraq.

Really, this is from a loving God???

maryrae

As sad as it is to hear of Biblical history being erased in Iraq, I need to remind myself that ALL material things will one day be destroyed by fire from God, when He renews/remakes the old Earth into the New Earth.
I would LOVE to be able to walk where Jesus and a number of His ancient servants walked, to touch artifacts that they may have handled of like objects, etc. That would be wonderful, however I must remember it is just temporary. It is enough for now to know that His Word which contains all these marvelous characters and the story of our redemption, is forever settled in Heaven and is preserved for us. Who knows what God has and will preserve for us yet to "Oo" and "aw" over! (I can always hope!)

railfan727

Speaking of which. .. Do you suppose this might be because Satan knows their prophecies are about to be fulfilled and this is his futile attempt to thwart God's plans?

He might destroy the tombs but he can't erase the words... They will be fulfilled whether Satan likes it or not. And Satan is going to LOSE!!!!!

ShilohRose

I think our Father takes a dim view of the desecration of the graves of his saints. I know that our world is going to be renovated, but malicious destruction to try to destroy the memory of God's people and to dishonor them must surely anger Him.

maryrae

I think our Father takes a dim view of the desecration of the graves of his saints. I know that our world is going to be renovated, but malicious destruction to try to destroy the memory of God's people and to dishonor them must surely anger Him.
Amen!:preach Preach it sista'. I agree. Verse 9 in Jude is a good case in point of just how much God cares for the bodies of His saints.
9 But even the archangel Michael, when he was disputing with the devil about the body of Moses, did not himself dare to condemn him for slander but said, “The Lord rebuke you!”

mikhen7

Freed By Christ to Serve Christ
I have a sneaking suspicion that the desecration of Biblical artifacts is Satan's attempt to erase any vestige of the remembrance of the mighty works of God that he can. Yes the tombs are meaningless as far as corpses go. But they are a reminder to some of the historicity of the Bible and it's characters. Islam has always painted over or desecrated anything that is Christian or Jewish. I think what angers people is the thought of what they are doing.

mattfivefour

I agree with Mike. That said, no man, no organization, no nation, no force, no ideology, no power on earth can destroy history. Especially God's history! They can destroy the physical symbols of it that exist, but they cannot—CAN NOT—destroy the truth of that history.

Back