Isaiah 65:17

Dave

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

So basically we won't remember the old Earth after the New one is made. Will it be the same for our past life here on Earth? Me and my Dad had this discussion sometime back on rather it would upset any of us if we saw violent criminals in Heaven like Evil Dictators that may make a last moment choice to accept Jesus before passing or a serial killer that may have come to accept Jesus while on Death Row. I said I would not have a problem with it but may ask them how they made their choice if I was to come across them like Jeffrey Dahmer. My Dad told me we would not remember our past lives. Thats when I started to google search and found this.

Andy C

Good question, not much detail given on this subject in the bible.

From Jack

Question: In the New Jerusalem, we will have perfected bodies with pure minds like Jesus. On Earth now, our minds and works are imperfect (filthy rags). Will our perfected minds in the New Jerusalem even allow us to remember and look at the sins that we have done while on the old Earth? When God says that he will wipe away the tears from our eyes, does that mean he will remove our memory of this life on earth? Perhaps we will be so busy and excited exploring the New Jerusalem and Heaven that we won’t have the time or even care to think about our past life on earth.

Answer: Isaiah 65:17-19 says in the Millennium Israel will no longer remember the past and the sound of weeping and crying will no longer be heard in Jerusalem. The Bible doesn’t say for sure how this will work for the Church, but it could be very similar. Either we won’t remember our past life at all or if we do it will be with the complete understanding that it wasn’t us but the sin nature within us that produced such behavior. Paul said this is the way the Lord sees us now (Romans 7:20) and that’s why there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/will-we-remember-the-past/

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Either we won’t remember our past life at all or if we do it will be with the complete understanding that it wasn’t us but the sin nature within us that produced such behavior. Paul said this is the way the Lord sees us now (Romans 7:20) and that’s why there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

My thoughts on this is that we'll see our previous selves as Jesus sees us, which will be a whole different way of seeing. We'll see how everything was used for good in our lives. It'll all be positive in that way. I think we need to remember everything we've been through in the sense that all those experiences will be what helps fashion us into the unique creation that each of us will be in eternity. We won't be able to see as we do now, that will be lost and gone forever. Those are just my thoughts, nothing more.

Andy C

Word up! God is not going to replace this Earth.
Revelation 21
1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; andthere was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city,new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven,prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell withthem, and they shall be his people, and God himselfshall be with them, and be their God.

Dave

Good question, not much detail given on this subject in the bible.

From Jack

Question: In the New Jerusalem, we will have perfected bodies with pure minds like Jesus. On Earth now, our minds and works are imperfect (filthy rags). Will our perfected minds in the New Jerusalem even allow us to remember and look at the sins that we have done while on the old Earth? When God says that he will wipe away the tears from our eyes, does that mean he will remove our memory of this life on earth? Perhaps we will be so busy and excited exploring the New Jerusalem and Heaven that we won’t have the time or even care to think about our past life on earth.

Answer: Isaiah 65:17-19 says in the Millennium Israel will no longer remember the past and the sound of weeping and crying will no longer be heard in Jerusalem. The Bible doesn’t say for sure how this will work for the Church, but it could be very similar. Either we won’t remember our past life at all or if we do it will be with the complete understanding that it wasn’t us but the sin nature within us that produced such behavior. Paul said this is the way the Lord sees us now (Romans 7:20) and that’s why there is no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:1).

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/will-we-remember-the-past/

Thanks Andy!

Dave

My thoughts on this is that we'll see our previous selves as Jesus sees us, which will be a whole different way of seeing. We'll see how everything was used for good in our lives. It'll all be positive in that way. I think we need to remember everything we've been through in the sense that all those experiences will be what helps fashion us into the unique creation that each of us will be in eternity. We won't be able to see as we do now, that will be lost and gone forever. Those are just my thoughts, nothing more.

Thanks Tall Timbers! I agree with both of you.

RonJohnSilver

Just idle thoughts now but, ... if the scars of Jesus are in Heaven, then, in order for them to have any meaning we would have to know what caused them, so we would remember untruths, dishonesty, hatred, etc. We could, I suppose, view them in a kind of 'clinical' sense, that is without any emotion attached, just interesting things to see, but again, what would be the point of that? We can't appreciate and value something, like salvation, if we have no understanding of what the opposite is. This is going to make my head hurt, so I'll leave it to others to sort out. G'nite.

For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

So basically we won't remember the old Earth after the New one is made. Will it be the same for our past life here on Earth? Me and my Dad had this discussion sometime back on rather it would upset any of us if we saw violent criminals in Heaven like Evil Dictators that may make a last moment choice to accept Jesus before passing or a serial killer that may have come to accept Jesus while on Death Row. I said I would not have a problem with it but may ask them how they made their choice if I was to come across them like Jeffrey Dahmer. My Dad told me we would not remember our past lives. Thats when I started to google search and found this.
Your Dad is right Revelation 21:1 says the same as Isaiah 65:17 but it goes further in verse 4 4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
When that happens all bad, hurtful or painful thoughts will be erased.
Praise the Lord because just like most people I have things in my past that make me sad when I think about them

Dave

Your Dad is right Revelation 21:1 says the same as Isaiah 65:17 but it goes further in verse 4 4And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
When that happens all bad, hurtful or painful thoughts will be erased.
Praise the Lord because just like most people I have things in my past that make me sad when I think about them

Thanks John! I think that pretty much answers quite abit.

Batman

I've never read anything separately or as a whole overall of the Bible that would make me think we no longer remember the pre-eternal state world once we are there and eternity is fully ushered in.

UntilTheWholeWorldHears

He will wipe away our tears. I have often meditated on that part of the verse. Wondering what it means?
Perhaps, we will weep after He shows us the plans he had for us. The blessing we miss out on. All the beautiful things we forfeited because of our rebellion???
He will wipe away our tears!!!

Back