Isaiah 17...

katt

It occurred to me just recently..could the prophecy be coming close to frutation? Why else would God be evacuating the city? It occurred to me when the war in Syria started that this might be what causes the distruction of Damascus then I remembered that Israel takes out Damascus..now we have what's happening in current events..and I'm revisiting my thoughts..maybe the whole war was God's way of getting people out of said city..thoughts?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
It occurred to me just recently..could the prophecy be coming close to frutation? Why else would God be evacuating the city? It occurred to me when the war in Syria started that this might be what causes the distruction of Damascus then I remembered that Israel takes out Damascus..now we have what's happening in current events..and I'm revisiting my thoughts..maybe the whole war was God's way of getting people out of said city..thoughts?
It very well could be , the frequency of attacks from Israel seem to be increasing near Damascus and their urgency to be proactive against Iran is also increasing.

Iran has proxies operating in Damascus and i also remember someone mentioning on here ( Cold have been Athenasius or TT) that this may be where Sadam Hussein may have hid his weapons of mass destruction, so if Israel was to bomb Damascus , it could very well cease to exist.

athenasius

The ongoing strikes from Israel take out munitions depots and other buildings set up by Iran. Some are on or around Damascus. A lot of the destruction though comes from Syria on their own people. Several suburbs of Damascus were home to enemies of Assad's regime so he himself targeted those areas. Russia helped him with a lot of those types of attacks.

What this means is that Damascus is being destroyed little by little. But not in the areas that have the WMD's.

What Isaiah 17 talks about is a sudden massive destruction in one night. The last verse says this:
14 In the evening, sudden terror!
Before the morning, they are gone!

During the war in Iraq there were a LOT of WMD's (weapons of mass destruction) that were transferred from Iraq by Saddam Hussein, and given to Bashir al Assad of Syria. Much of those are stored in and around the "good" areas of Damascus, under Assad's control.

So those aren't in the neighbourhoods where Assad could lose them to his enemies among the Syrians and chances are he has them well away from his current friends the Iranians too, because he likes to use them-- he has used Sarin gas on his own people with Russia's help.

But if the IDF targets ASSAD's neighbourhood, where those things are stored, there are some WMD's in there that would ensure Damascus is fully destroyed, never to rise again as a city.

That tells us a couple of things when you think about it.

1: The destruction of Damascus can't continue much longer or there won't be a Damascus to destroy in one night. Since Isaiah 17:1a says
“See, Damascus will no longer be a city
but will become a heap of ruins.

Damascus is the longest continuously inhabited city in the world-- but the Bible says it will no longer be a city, this is still an upcoming prophecy. Some argue that it was briefly overrun long ago but the fact is it remained an inhabited city and Bible prophecy often times has an earlier partial fulfillment pointing to a later, complete fulfillment.

2: Since Damascus is destroyed in one night we aren't talking about these little raids on Iranian outposts and weapons depots, nor are we talking about Assad and the Russians targeting Syrians who hate Assad and are trying to overthrow him. Their neighbourhoods have gone up in dust and ashes over the last few years, but it's a long process.

Back