Isaiah 17 – An Oracle Concerning Damascus

RonJohnSilver

The president of Syria resides in Damascus and it's rumoured that chemical weapons are also stored in that city, i'm still not 100% sold on Andy's point of view on this one as good as a bible teacher that he is
Yeah, it seems like it could go either way. Maybe it's a double prophecy, fulfilled then and now. I guess my point is that I'm not waiting in expectation for it's today fulfillment. If it happens, fine, if not, that's o.k. too.

Hol

Worships Him
As I mentioned in a reply below, the verse doesn't say that every single person is dead or gone. It seems to mean that Damascus has ceased to be or function as a city, that is, its business or normal activities are ended. Verse 2 says that it's good for only grazing.
I agree with you Ron, and Isaiah 17 does not state that Damascus is ‘forever’ no longer a city, only that they cease in capacity to wield a significant threat. I agree with Pastor Woods that this is a past fulfilled prophecy.

We look at the Lord drawing Israel back to Himself in these last days. They will have the sense of security that the AC takes advantage of. To me that seems to rule out this continual warfare. It seems to me that God allows Ezekiel’s war to pressure Israel to turn to Him. He never pressures me with too much spiritual warfare to make me repent, but only as little as possible. Israel would be exhausted if they had to fight & destroy Damascus THEN battle Gog/Magog.

The objective is to pressure Israel to call on the Name of the Lord, not to make her so hyper-vigilant that she’s too paranoid to stop and remember that God loves her, IMO.

SkyRider

It is really difficult to get a handle on exactly when these prophesies (Isaiah 17 and Ezekiel 38/39) will play out and whether or not they are linked. The more I read the verses in Isaiah 17, it becomes more of an enigma than the Gog/Magog invasion. Is it a separate prophecy that leads up to the Ezekiel 38/39 response by the irate invading nations or is it a part of the initial phase of this massive attack? It could be more of the latter that leads the surrounding countries to launch an all out assault.

We are told in Ezekiel that these invading forces are coming in to take a spoil, not to seek revenge because of an Israeli attack on a capitol city. There is no mention of this being a factor in launching an all out war. Instead, God is shown to be dragging these peoples on to the mountains of Israel by hooks in the jaws, as if they were not contemplating such an action because of the leveling of Damascus - even though we are told Gog will have an evil thought, like coming into Israel for just the booty. Russia will or is definitely coveting the natural gas fields that Israel has in their possessions and will crave those even more as the Ukraine fiasco lingers on and Europe will seek other options for fuel than to feed the hungry Russian bear. That would definitely classify as an evil agenda, rather than to seek repercussions from a destroyed Damascus scenario.

The Isaiah 17 prophecy evens says that what happens to Damascus is the result of outside forces coming into the land to loot the spoils of Israel. The same motive for Ezekiel 38/39 seems to be at play for the destruction of Syria's capitol city. Isaiah talks about how lean Jacob is and how stripped the olive trees are - except for the top boughs - because of these peoples seeking to strip Israel of her wealth. At first, I thought this verbiage was implying something along the lines of a chemical attack upon the Jewish state by a rogue group north of Israel for the resulting leveling of Damascus (and it still may!) when it talks of the glory of Jacob fading away and waxing lean, but it could just mean the land is being stripped clean. So both Ezekiel and Isaiah speak of looting.

Secondly, they both speak of many people groups coming into the land like rushing waters - with rapidity and a great noise. These two prophecies could be talking of the same event, with the only difference being is that Damascus gets destroyed in the process. It could be that Israel is the one that brings that city down with their nukes? but then God is the one who destroys 5/6th of the invading forces and sends a fire upon the land of Magog and other regions, something that Israel could not possibly do - it has to be a sure sign of Divine intervention; Israel can not take credit for this.

And what is God's purpose for all this? He is again revealing Himself to the nation of Israel and to whole region/world that there is a God in Heaven and a God who watches out and takes revenge on those who seek to steal from His land and those bent on destroying His Chosen People. This is another reason why I believe that this all happens post Rapture. Christ's church is out of the world, the restraining influence has been lifted to allow for such an invasion, Israel is squarely in the Time of Jacob's Trouble and God is seeking to spiritually awaken the Jewish nation. They are a largely secular country right now, only being revived thus far in a purely physical state and still need to be revived in a spiritual condition as well.

This is where also that I believe Psalm 83 comes into play. Unlike others, I don't believe that this speaks of a war separate from Ezekiel's account. The Israeli's, for the most part, right now are not looking to God for its protection but relying more on their military's capabilities; are not crying out to God to protect them as Psalm 83 implies. They fought against the immediate surrounding countries back in 1948, 1967 and 1973, when those peoples sought their destruction. Israel may have recognized God's protection over them during phases of those battles, but were not in large part calling out to Him to save them during those campaigns. I believe that will change when this massive horde of invading forces will come upon them, seek to strip them clean of wealth, will look to eradicate the Jewish state and they will realize that they cannot handle this mass influx of groups without the Maker's protection. They will, finally, again, look to the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob to save them from this soon crushing, overwhelming force which they know they will be unable to fend off, left to their own devices. God will hear their prayer (Psalm 83) and answer in a huge way! There will be no doubt who is responsible for this victory! They will be spiritually reborn as a result of this, then the demand for the rebuilding of the Temple will begin in earnest.

So, that is just my take on it - today. It could change tomorrow but I see all three of these prophecies maybe? tied in together. An overwhelming force begins to enter their land - brought on by God dragging these peoples into Israel to get the Israelis to turn to Him post Rapture - they cry out to the Lord for protection as Psalm 83 describes, Israel may or may not level Damascus ( maybe God does this as well?) as mentioned in Isaiah 17, then the Lord obliterates the invading armies and sends fire on Magog and the nations “carelessly living in the isles” ( maybe the ones like America who don't lift a finger to help out the Jewish state in their greatest time of need but only lodge a mild protest?, and all for the express purpose of getting Israel and the world to know that God will be sanctified by these occurrences and “they shall know that I am the Lord”.

Hol

Worships Him
This is where also that I believe Psalm 83 comes into play. Unlike others, I don't believe that this speaks of a war separate from Ezekiel's account. The Israeli's, for the most part, right now are not looking to God for its protection but relying more on their military's capabilities; are not crying out to God to protect them as Psalm 83 implies.
Good thoughts and I especially like your insight that Israel is currently trusting militaries, not crying out to God.

cshere

Good thoughts and I especially like your insight that Israel is currently trusting militaries, not crying out to God.
Yes, just like David when he initiated a census.

Also, when David did the census, the Bible says that satan stood up against Israel and David then succumbed to the temptation to do the census....I, interestingly enough, just re-read this account in Chronicles. I think it is very interesting in parallels. Perhaps the Lord allows just such a scenario with Gog. Perhaps Gog just wakes up with no real clues beforehand, and is enticed to take the spoil? We won't know just when that thought enters his head, and may not know a good reason, but, God has allowed the thought and the timing, and, like a flash, it happens.

I would have supposed this thing in Ukraine would have put us into a current timeframe for what is being discussed here, but, suddenly, Russia seems to be withdrawing, even out or Syria...so, I guess I don't know much, lol.

But, the last thought I have: I think prophecy is overlapping and that is why it is hard to say, "oh, this was totally fulfilled at such and such a point." I think we cannot distinguish sometimes, as the prophecies may be fulfilled at different times from the same passage....just consider how when Jesus stood up and read from Isaiah. He quit reading in the midst of a prophecy, as the prophecy has more to be fulfilled than just one part. Especially when you think of God existing outside of time. However, of course, the prophecies re: Christ's birth were definitely forever fulfilled. So, just rambling, but, maybe that is why it is so tough to sort of pinpoint what we may see a bit differently when we read prophecy and try to determine if this is what it is specifically at this point in the history of the world.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
First off, I pray Russia looses in Ukraine and there is peace with a buffer-zone respected by both.

My expectation is USSR will be humiliated which results in a coup. This then festers into an new military regime with a desire to reclaim Honor and USSR starts a new war allied with Turkey and Iran aimed at controlling all gas sources. And yes I expect nukes to fly, but in a very limited zone.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
“See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins. The cities of Aroer will be deserted and left to flocks, which will lie down, with no one to make them afraid.” – (Isaiah 17:1-2)

Because of the language of these verses, many scholars believe that this prophecy was only partially fulfilled when the Assyrians defeated the Arameans and overran their capital, Damascus, in 732 BC. To this day Damascus is thought to be the world’s oldest continuously inhabited city with a 5000-year history and a population close to 2 million, yet Isaiah 17:1 indicates that it will one day cease to exist.

more............ https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-prophecy/isaiah-17-oracle-concerning-damascus/

Jack has a very good article at the above link. You can find more articles here on the main site from other writers:

https://www.raptureforums.com/?s=isaiah+17

I'm of the opinion that the fulfillment of Isaiah 17 will be in the future. The terrorists that are making Damascus their headquarters and Assad doing anything to stay in power will likely be the reason she pays the ultimate price. :sad

Keep watching!

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
“See, Damascus will no longer be a city but will become a heap of ruins. The cities of Aroer will be deserted and left to flocks, which will lie down, with no one to make them afraid.” – (Isaiah 17:1-2)

Because of the language of these verses, many scholars believe that this prophecy was only partially fulfilled when the Assyrians defeated the Arameans and overran their capital, Damascus, in 732 BC. To this day Damascus is thought to be the world’s oldest continuously inhabited city with a 5000-year history and a population close to 2 million, yet Isaiah 17:1 indicates that it will one day cease to exist.

more............ https://www.raptureforums.com/bible-prophecy/isaiah-17-oracle-concerning-damascus/

Jack has a very good article at the above link. You can find more articles here on the main site from other writers:

https://www.raptureforums.com/?s=isaiah+17

I'm of the opinion that the fulfillment of Isaiah 17 will be in the future. The terrorists that are making Damascus their headquarters and Assad doing anything to stay in power will likely be the reason she pays the ultimate price. :sad

Yep and they also have an airport as well, seems to be functioning as a city still to me

Endangered

It is possible Damascus will be wiped out during Gog/Magog. The bombers from Russia will be knocked out of the sky by hailstones from God. They will be coming from the north headed to Israel. If they pass directly over Damascus they could do extensive damage when planes crash with bombs on board.

ItIsFinished!

Blood bought child of the King of kings.
It is possible Damascus will be wiped out during Gog/Magog. The bombers from Russia will be knocked out of the sky by hailstones from God. They will be coming from the north headed to Israel. If they pass directly over Damascus they could do extensive damage when planes crash with bombs on board.
Absolutely.
I've thought about that for years that could be how Damascus comes to complete ruins.

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
I am no expert, just someone who enjoys studying the Bible. I am also in the partial historical fulfillment/future fulfillment camp. I do love Andy and I think he is a great Bible teacher but there is no way I can buy that Damascus is a "ruin heap" today.

One thing that I think is interesting with prophecy is that it is "already done." God saw it happen already because He is outside the dimension of time. So when the prophets wrote by the Holy Spirit, this is the "general perspective" of prophecy. It makes it hard for us to grasp these "double/major/minor fulfillments" because we are finite, time burdened men yet on God's infinite timetable it makes perfect sense. Just my thoughts.

katt

The prophecy may have two meanings, many verses do, but to say a passage, inspired by The Holy Spirit, doesn't mean what it says is not only saying The Holy Spirit didn't know what he was talking about but it is also calling God a lyer. Not my idea of a good idea.

SkyRider

With things ramping up everywhere, one must keep their head on a swivel and look in all directions to see what happens next: what is Russia up to?; what movements is the Chinese dragon making in their swing of their tail towards Taiwan?; how close is Iran to tipping a missile with a nuclear payload?; when will the repeated Israeli strikes in and around Damascus lead to something of a far more lethal reprisal by all concerned?; how explosive and how far reaching will the currently lit fuse of the powder keg of war taking place in Israel become and who else will be drawn into that conflagration? Hard to know in which direction to look.

katt

I am no expert, just someone who enjoys studying the Bible. I am also in the partial historical fulfillment/future fulfillment camp. I do love Andy and I think he is a great Bible teacher but there is no way I can buy that Damascus is a "ruin heap" today.

One thing that I think is interesting with prophecy is that it is "already done." God saw it happen already because He is outside the dimension of time. So when the prophets wrote by the Holy Spirit, this is the "general perspective" of prophecy. It makes it hard for us to grasp these "double/major/minor fulfillments" because we are finite, time burdened men yet on God's infinite timetable it makes perfect sense. Just my thoughts.
The deepest thing I ever read was a book about this very thing, don't remember the name of said book or the author, I was a teenager when I read it. He actually said the equivalent of the same thing, he said, it is all done and we are already in heaven and when it is all said and done on earth we will look at God and be amazed at everything he brought us through. I never talk about this to anyone, it is so deep and it's impossible for me to wrap my around. But since God is in eternity and we are not it isn't hard to imagine him high fiving all of us personally, right now this very minute. Crazy isn't it?

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
The deepest thing I ever read was a book about this very thing, don't remember the name of said book or the author, I was a teenager when I read it. He actually said the equivalent of the same thing, he said, it is all done and we are already in heaven and when it is all said and done on earth we will look at God and be amazed at everything he brought us through. I never talk about this to anyone, it is so deep and it's impossible for me to wrap my around. But since God is in eternity and we are not it isn't hard to imagine him high fiving all of us personally, right now this very minute. Crazy isn't it?
Maybe Chuck Missler? I haven't listened to him that much but from what I have, he seemed to have a mind that was good at explaining this type of thing. He had background and experience in engineering and computer science, as well as theology.

Back