Is this the year for the big one?

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, & Natural Disasters' started by Endangered, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Endangered

Endangered Well-Known Member

cchsm: There is a Caribbean fault line that runs along the north Caribbean. Damages in Haiti can be greater than Puerto Rico and the DR because building codes in Haiti are almost non-existent. When you ride thru a neighborhood you see houses under construction by owner and not by contractor. Concrete does not come from a plant but comes from a neighbor. Most houses in Haiti are concrete but have very poor construction.

2. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

3. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

4. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
  5. caligal

caligal Well-Known Member

I have been wondering when the north american plate was going to start reacting to the pressures all of the Asian quakes have put on these faults. Maybe this is the start.

6. athenasius

athenasius Well-Known Member

There was a cluster of 6.5, 6.8 and 6.something I can't remember then a series of aftershocks. The news had it in the morning and again at noon. It's an underwater fault in the Pacific off the far western shores of Vanccouver Island, and the fault did a slip thing where some part is on top and slides over another part underneath. No Tsunami or even warning so it's not the big one yet, but there was a corresponding series in Oregon I think they said????

Basically Ring of Fire activity. Ramping up if you ask me.

Totally agree caligal, probably letting pressure off from activity in other spots along the Ring.

7. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

8. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

9. SonSeeker

SonSeeker Well-Known Member

A 6.1 yesterday evening near El Salvador. then a 6.3 only 11 hours later off the southern coast of South America. Sure glad I don't live on the US west coast anymore. They are overdue.:sad

10. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

11. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

12. Endangered

Endangered Well-Known Member

This is sourced from earthquake.usgs.gov.
    During October there were 13 quakes of magnitude 6 or greater worldwide. This is an annual rate of
    13 x 12 = 156.
    Of these 13 quakes, 2 were in Russia, 2 in New Caledonia and 3 were SW of Port Hardy, Canada. There was also a 5.9 in Haiti.

13. DanLMP

DanLMP Well-Known Member

I have been feeling a lot of quakes in the Philly area, of all places.
    But then, maybe it's just all the cheese steaks that get eaten. ;)

14. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

Definitely an upswing in activity that's stronger than 5.0

15. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

16. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

17. Kaatje

Kaatje Well-Known Member

Thank you for your updates, Chaser, really appreciate it.

By the looks of it they’re coming closer to Europe.

ShilohRose, Kem, athenasius and 4 others like this.
  18. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

:thumbup gives me something to do when I have a couple minutes down time.

ShilohRose, Kem, John Romans and 3 others like this.
  19. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member

20. chaser

chaser Well-Known Member