Is the Rapture really that easy to explain away?

usoutpost31

I admit that I find the idea that Satan could plausibly explain away or worse, take credit for an obvious act of God, troublesome. The Resurrection, of all things, and the catching away of all who belong to Him. He is coming like a thief in the night, but if a thief came in the night, from what he takes from you, you'd still know a thief came, right? Even if you weren't prepared for it.

UFOs and aliens are commonly floated as an alternative explanation, but....is there any precedent? Alien abductees don't just vanish into thin air and never come back. (That's assuming the Rapture will look like what is shown in the movies). They're still here on earth, telling us their stories. There's never been a mass abduction either. Doesn't seem to jibe with peace and safety either. If an alien civilization could take a large group of people undetected; shouldn't the Earth be on guard against their return?

There are only a few Biblical instances I could think of when Satan tried to discredit an act of God; when Jannes and Jambres went up against Moses and Aaron, and failed miserably. Or the 'disciples stole the body' explanation for the empty Tomb. Which, is not a very persuasive explanation, considering the giant stone and Roman soldiers guarding it. Or when the Pharisees argued that Jesus was casting out demons by the power of Beelzebub. And Jesus quickly pointed out the flaw in that argument-it didn't take.

It's not that the devil didn't try to explain these things....but when God reveals Himself so dramatically.....what exactly can you say that people would believe? Even the prophets of Baal knew that it was the Lord who sent down fire at Mt. Carmel....because they witnessed it. Even Pharaoh and Egypt knew God was sending the plagues against them. All the Israelites knew that God parted the Red Sea....even if they forgot soon after.

I know the Rapture isn't well known in many parts of the world, but Revelation 7 indicates that people from every corner of the earth come to faith in Jesus. That probably includes those who didn't know about it beforehand, but they become convinced of the truth of the Gospel somehow. Power of preaching, maybe, but maybe because they witness Revelation coming to life. It's the same with the battle of Gog and Magog; God intervenes there and all of Israel(along with other nations of the earth) knows that He is the Lord. And from that point on, they don't forget it.

I guess my point is, when God performs a miracle, those who witness it know that He was responsible. And the Resurrection/Rapture might be his most overt manifestation of His power, that the unbelieving world will see this side of eternity.

Hsmommy

I don’t think it’s quite as easy as Satan just explains it away. The people he’s deceiving are already deceived & in that respect ripe for the picking. Also, people will be scared & looking for any explanation. Any explanation that doesn’t include God.

Jaybird

I agree with you in that I find it difficult to believe that an event like the Rapture would not convince the entire world of God's power, but it does say in 2TH2:11-12: "Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness." their hearts are so hardened they don't want to believe it."

daygo

I agree with you in that I find it difficult to believe that an event like the Rapture would not convince the entire world of God's power, but it does say in 2TH2:11-12: "Therefore God sends them a strong delusion, so that they may believe what is false, in order that all may be condemned who did not believe the truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness." their hearts are so hardened they don't want to believe it."
I don’t find it difficult especially in UK, people will probably want to believe anything as not face the truth.

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
UFOs and aliens are commonly floated as an alternative explanation, but....is there any precedent? Alien
I have to ask: does your screen name have anything to do with that horror movie from 1982, “The Thing”? For some inexplicable reason, an oddball high school science teacher showed us that movie, and being the extremely sensitive individual that I am, it basically scarred me for life…:oops:o_O:eek:

Dave_97

It’s practically impossible to explain the rapture away.

Yes initially, Satan might try to use the UFO argument. But honestly as we read in scripture, by the time the seal judgements start rolling, people clearly know it’s God. In my option the UFO tactic from Satan will be very short lived. People will start to put pieces together really quick.

Satans attempt/tactic to hide the existence of God from humanity will finally come to an end. At that point Satan will probably shift gears and try to paint God as the evil being, and that him (Satan), the antichrsit, and false prophet are infact here to “unite the earth”, and anyone who is not on their side is against them. This will explain people complying with the Mark of the Beast. Those who don’t are seen as evil and killed off.

Ever ask yourself, during the tribulation how are people around the entire globe okay with letting the one world government execute people (by probably thousands to millions) who don’t take the mark? How do family members end up turning each other to the government? (As Jesus described).

It’s because the enemy would have succeed in convincing many people God is evil, and any of his supporters are to be killed as a threat to society and progress of mankind.

The big spiritual battle in the last few years has been trying to convince to people of Gods existence. The enemy’s tactic has been to remove the spiritual component of mankind so they don’t buy into any “Jesus” idea. In the tribulation, the rapture and all the following plagues will destroy the idea that mankind came into existence from absolutely nothing and evolved via monkeys. People will have to make a decision. God or Satan?

Aiyanna

Your question brought to mind a conversation I recently had with a young man who isn't a Christian, but believes there has to be a higher being or something because he's deep into science, mathematics, and a very logical thinker. I was blessed with the chance to share my faith in God and Jesus Christ with him.
The next day we were in a different conversation, I was telling him about how I was in a rollover accident last year. We had gotten freezing rain the night before. The roads were covered in solid black ice. I was starting to swerve as another vehicle was coming my way in the opposing lane. I knew I couldn't get control of my car in time. I knew I was going to hit them. I did not want to hit them. With all my being, I made up my mind I was not going to hit them. I prayed and begged God, I told Him I didn't care what happened to me. I honestly didn't. I told God, no matter what, I am not taking those people out with me. I looked off to the right towards the thick forest telling God, that's where I'm heading. I over-steered just enough it threw me into a spin that got me off the road and away from the other vehicle. But my front tires caught on something and the force threw the car into a roll.... I had absolutely no fear. None. Complete peace as the world flew around me. My left hand flew through the broken driver's side window hitting the ground mid-roll... I saw it happen. But the only thing that came to mind was: I'm going to be ok. Not a bone will be broken... My hand was banged up... But the ex-ray showed there were no broken bones.
I was sharing all of this with this young man (every bit of it true). He was in complete shock. He couldn't believe I wasn't scared. He said (without any promoting from me) "That had to be God. There's no way you experienced that kind of peace rolling in a car like that on your own."

In that same light, I have a hard time believing people won't even subconsciously know God pulled His people out.... They might feel relief afterwards. A kind of "YES finally those self-righteous Christians are gone! They won't interfere anymore!" But there won't be anyway to explain away a mass dissappearing like that. They will know it was God. But their hearts will be hardened.

RedRx

Imagine all the parents freaking out when their children are suddenly gone because they were under the age of accountability. Good luck working in the school system when the Rapture occurs. Not that there won’t be a thousand other things to worry about but I can definitely picture a bunch of upset parents showing up at all of these schools. And if you aren’t a believer honestly what explanation will you have for them? I’m guessing that “Well, they just all disappeared“ will not suffice.

Bedra1958

Imagine all the parents freaking out when their children are suddenly gone because they were under the age of accountability. Good luck working in the school system when the Rapture occurs. Not that there won’t be a thousand other things to worry about but I can definitely picture a bunch of upset parents showing up at all of these schools. And if you aren’t a believer honestly what explanation will you have for them? I’m guessing that “Well, they just all disappeared“ will not suffice.
And what about the pregnant women who are suddenly without child? Oh, and maybe air traffic suddenly falling from the sky because the believing pilots were taken home? World-wide car accidents will take place also...

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Many will know any explination of the rapture is a lie, but will believe it anyway.

Hardened hearts EVEN while experiencing the Divine, will chose to deny and believe something else. That is the power of delusion.

Consider the tribulation
A quarter straight out dies from the 4 horsemen.
More die from Wormwood, fire, sea disasters
More want to die from the demons who torment men
6th Trumpet: Another group of angels now kills a third of mankind... Rev 9:20 hints that all those not killed were unrepentant...

The beast government kills all who do not worship the image or receive the mark, and its stated the AC and those who take the mark are damned

At this point there are precious few left alive. Saints have been slain. The world is destroyed and those alive, unmarked, will be on the edge of survival.
The Gospel will be preached by an angel, so one would expect some recipients who would believe.

The Bowl judgments continue with Hail, destruction of islands and mountains - this pretty much destroys any hiding place,
babylon is destroyed that great city.... and all living in it

and yet the 6th Bowl signals the collection of a vast army.... to be destroyed by Christ at Armageddon.

All this doesn't leave many left, but God is able to preserve, and under Christ's rule the earth is repopulated.

And 1000 years later, the final revolt and destruction of countless men who would not worship the One true God takes place.

I guess we should never be surprised by the depravity of men, their willing to disbelieve even the obvious,
for even in the presence of Jesus, men will forsake Him and be consumed with pride and promote self.

Last edited:

DWB

I honestly believe there are people in think tanks working on explanations for things such as the rapture. The left are smart and devious, usually two or three steps ahead conservatives. Reason being conservatives usually don't have to, nor try to hide the truth.

JSTyler

Many will know any explination of the rapture is a lie, but will believe it anyway.

Hardened hearts EVEN while experiencing the Devine, will chose to deny and believe something else. That is the power of delusion.

Consider the tribulation
A quarter straight out dies from the 4 horsemen.
More die from Wormwood, fire, sea disasters
More want to die from the demons who torment men
6th Trumpet Another group of angels now kill a third of mankind... Rev 9:20 hints that all those not killed were unrepentant...

The beast government kills all who do not worship the image or receive the mark if the AC and those who take the mark are damned

At this point there are precious few left alive. Saints have been slain. The world is destroyed and those alive, unmarked, will be on the edge of survival.
The Gospel will be preached by an angel, so one would expect some recipients who would believe.

The Bowl judgments continue with Hail, destruction of islands and mountains - this pretty much destroys any hiding place,
babylon is destroyed that great city.... and all living in it

and yet the 6th Bowl signals the collection of a vast army.... to be destroyed by Christ at Armageddon.

All this doesn't leave many left, but God is able to preserve, and under Christ's rule the earth is repopulated.

And 1000 years later, the final revolt and destruction of countless men who would not worship the One true God takes place.

I guess we should never be surprised by the depravity of men, their willing to disbelieve even the obvious,
for even in the presence of Jesus, will men forsake Him and be consumed with pride and promote self.
I'll go ya' one further (while agreeing 100% with your excellent post) and state that what I see in scriptures is that the remaining survivors through each successive stage of God's wrath will know what it was, what it is and who is bringing it and they will still curse Him with fully opened eyes and hardened hearts.

Wally

Choose Your Words Carefully...
Echoes of Pharaoh.

Men would rather curse God's Justice, before considering their own wicked sin.

Truly we need to ponder God's GRACE and Salvation, even the ability to know it is there is evidence of His Love and Mercy.

And He is willing to give it to us, just by humbly asking for it.

I pray we all treasure the gift of Grace in Jesus Christ a little more this year.

usoutpost31

I have to ask: does your screen name have anything to do with that horror movie from 1982, “The Thing”? For some inexplicable reason, an oddball high school science teacher showed us that movie, and being the extremely sensitive individual that I am, it basically scarred me for life…:oops:o_O:eek:
My SN is an old standby of mine, when I first joined here, I wasn't quite imaginative enough to come up with a new one. But yes, it is referencing the research station from that movie.

Back