Is the book of revelation in chronological order in terms of how the end times is going to unfold ?

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I was watching a video from a pastor discussing the topic of the antichrist and china and he mentioned that revelation isn't really in chronological order, it's a book where God was revealing different revelations to John and that the timeline is going back and forth in history?

Now I was giving the benefit of the doubt to this guy, until he made mention of revelation not being in chronological order, then I kind of stopped the video because my gut feeling is tellin me that this pastor might be wrong because when I have read the book of revelation, I have taken it or it appears to me to be an order of chronological events leading into the millennium and then eventually eternity.

Is the book of revelation in chronological order or is the book going back and forth in history to future times ?

I'm of the belief that revelation is in chronological order but I guess I want to confirm with other whether this view is correct or not ?

RonJohnSilver

I think it is mostly, if not totally, in chronological order, however, the perspective often changes...from John's earthly view to a heavenly view. So, some things may happen concurrently in heaven and on earth, but on paper, John has to put one before the others. Some parts of Revelation are obvious....the letters come first, when the seals, trumpets and bowl judgments begin, they are consecutive, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7. Naturally, the last couple chapters wind things up.

antitox

Ok.....let's get everyone's angle on the 6th seal. Some say it's the end. If the people are saying to let the rocks fall upon them to hide them or cover them from the Lord what place are we at in the timeline? I understand you have the bowls of wrath later, but I'm trying to figger out just where we are on that 6th seal. We have the stars falling from heaven, etc.

InsuranceGuy

Ok.....let's get everyone's angle on the 6th seal. Some say it's the end. If the people are saying to let the rocks fall upon them to hide them or cover them from the Lord what place are we at in the timeline? I understand you have the bowls of wrath later, but I'm trying to figger out just where we are on that 6th seal. We have the stars falling from heaven, etc.

Some have said that could be a polar shift or a massive meteor storm. I've always found it interesting that many world governments have a military headquarters inside a mountain though. Maybe those men of renown are praying to die from the mountains falling in on them.

borrowedtime

The seals in my eyes are expanding across the tribulation time line.

We get their chronological order but they cover all of the 70th week.

Take the 5th seal regarding the martyred. There’s a lot going on for the front part of the AC reign but the MOB is what starts flat out war against the Jews and those refusing to accept the MOB and thus the 5th seal.

antitox

The seals in my eyes are expanding across the tribulation time line.

We get their chronological order but they cover all of the 70th week.

Take the 5th seal regarding the martyred. There’s a lot going on for the front part of the AC reign but the MOB is what starts flat out war against the Jews and those refusing to accept the MOB and thus the 5th seal.

Ok! I've always leaned that way. Good to get your angle.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
In my opinion, in reading the 3 sets of wraths {judgements), they are definitely presented as if they are given to us chronologically. For that portion of Revelation I believe it to be chronological. in some cases there is overlap, in some cases a pause, but they are sequentially presented in the order in which they will begin, in my opinion.

I asked the same question a great many years ago on another Christian Board. I asked it because some of the things that are popular in terms of what people say will be happening during Tribulation would only be possible if the wraths were not sequential in how they begin.

As a caveat, I have no doubt on this matter, but like everybody else, and I do mean everybody, I've been known to be wrong.

Last edited:

borrowedtime

There is an overarching, chronological order to the book of Revelation (Rev. 1:19), but that doesn't force the book's contents to 100% be in chronological order. For example, Revelation 12 is a compressed snapshot of history (vv. 1-5 necessarily take place before chapter 1 because it details the ascension of Christ).

God bless!

There are a lot of “zoom chapters” in the Good Book.

Like Exodus has different spots as well where it’s let’s focus in on the details regarding this, now this, now here’s how it all goes down and comes together.

Back