Is Roman Catholicism the One True Church?

SkyRider

SkyRider, excellent contrast of some Catholic beliefs to the Truth of the Scriptures. I spent some time last week with some old friends who are devout Roman Catholics and I tried my best to show them the errors in their belief system, but it is so hard to de-program decades of brainwashing by the RCC! I asked them if they believed that Jesus was Lord, crucified to pay the penalty for our sins and then raised from the dead and they agreed with me. At least they believe in the Gospel message, but I got tired of listening to stories of Marian apparitions and supposed divine revelations from Catholic saints. It was making my head spin. Next time I see them I will try a different approach. I forgot how stubborn they can be.
It is extremely difficult to witness to Roman Catholics and to attempt to persuade them that most of Rome's teachings are unbiblical. It took me 10 years to finally break free of their bonds before I was finally convinced that they had deceived me for 35 years up until that point. The indoctrination and brainwashing, as you put it, is so pervasive in their system, that even after reading the Bible for a decade, it was still difficult to break free from their ranks. I knew that what I was reading in Scripture didn't line up to what they were duping their followers into believing, but still, all the "One True Church" business, the supposed "marian apparitions'. the "Mother of God" nonsense and everything else Roman Catholic made it hard to convince myself that they were not true biblical Christianity. The devil was very clever in devising this ruse of a false religious system. It wasn't until 1991 during a period of unemployment - the Lord used a couple of "timeout" periods of unemployment to get my attention [the first one got me into reading the Bible for the first time] - that I'm sitting in a Catholic mass and the priest tells the congregation 'that we are now going to sing songs of praise to the "Holy Mother", that I finally broke free of their clutches. I couldn't sit there and do that, and it was almost like the Holy Spirit yanking me out of my pew to get me out of there.

SkyRider

Another good article from Got Questions.org. They have a lot of good material on a lot of subjects.

Witnessing to Roman Catholics - what is the key?

To know best how to witness to Catholics, it is good to know some of the things that make Catholics resistant to the idea of being “born again.”

Catholics are indoctrinated from an early age, and a barrier to biblical truth is carefully erected in their minds. Catholics are taught that everything that comes from Rome takes precedence over the Bible. “If the Pope says it, it must be true” is a cultivated mindset. Unfortunately, Catholics are not taught to think for themselves, and many do not know why they believe what they do. Many Catholics have no concept of what is written in the Bible, other than the two or three passages that are read during Mass.

Also, human nature being what it is, any threat to one’s belief system is automatically resisted. Apologetic confrontation tends to make Catholics defensive and to put up walls. To directly attack the apostasy of Catholic teaching is the wrong way; Catholics have been told to expect this from “Protestants,” so most of them are prepared for confrontation or simply cut off communication. Therefore, generally speaking, confronting a Catholic friend with the unbiblical doctrines of his church is self-defeating. It is usually better to gently point him to Scripture and its authority as God’s Word. Never underestimate the power of God’s Word to change a person’s heart (Hebrews 4:12).

The simplicity of the gospel is what will speak to Catholics the most. That’s the “key” in witnessing to them. In many ways, the Catholic Church insulates people from God, who can only be approached through priests and saints, and then only with the proper prayers, penance, and piety. The Bible teaches us “the simplicity and purity of devotion to Christ” (2 Corinthians 11:3, NASB). Jesus extends the invitation to all: “Let the one who wishes take the free gift of the water of life” (Revelation 22:17). “Whoever has the Son has life” (1 John 5:12). Such simplicity appeals to those laboring under a merit-based system of religious works.

Reaching the heart of a Catholic is a gradual process. The armor he wears must be chinked, piece by piece, as doubts arise in his mind about what he has been taught. The idea is to “draw him out” and cause him to ask questions about his own faith. Catholics have to be “spiritually thirsty” in order to search for valid answers. When their questions arise, we want to be in a position to answer them from the Bible. It’s easy to simply condemn what someone believes, but that can easily lead to a lost opportunity for further witness. A Catholic must see the truth for himself.

Of course, it goes without saying that we who witness to Catholics must be in the Word and “prayed up.” We must be compassionate, not antagonistic, and we must let the Holy Spirit guide us. Our prayer should be along these lines: “Lord, You know the heart and the motives of this person. Give me the words she needs to hear.”

As an encouragement, here is a testimony from a former Catholic: “I recall what ministered to me was first hearing the Word several times and then the awesome realization that I could know the Lord personally. For me, all the other Catholic doctrines that were wrong fell away gradually after I was born again and continued to read the Word.”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can echo that last paragraph. It wasn't until the Lord gave me the desire to read His Word, that I could finally see for myself - with the Holy Spirit's guidance - that the RCC was false. As the Bible says, "Faith comes from hearing, and hearing from the Word of God" Romans 10:17. I witnessed that firsthand. Little by little, I could finally see all the errors contained in the religion that held me captive.

Last edited:

paul289

What I've found gets their attention is asking them if they believe that God isn't powerful enough to pay the penalty of our sins. After all, Jesus on the cross said "it is finished," but Catholics believe they must go to Purgatory to pay the rest. If Jesus' sacrifice isn't enough to pay all of our sins, then why did he even bother?

Jaybird

Skyrider, you make some excellent points. I will see my friends again in the near future and I will be better prepared for the "battle." It hurts to see such nice people believe the malarkey the RCC feeds them. At the very least I hope to plant a seed of doubt in their belief system.

SkyRider

Skyrider, you make some excellent points. I will see my friends again in the near future and I will be better prepared for the "battle." It hurts to see such nice people believe the malarkey the RCC feeds them. At the very least I hope to plant a seed of doubt in their belief system.
Last week I got motivated again to send some materials to my Roman Catholic mother, uncle and even an old girlfriend that are still steeped in the RCC system, in a last-ditch effort to see them saved and to possibly avoid what is soon coming - the Trib. I have tried for over 30 years to witness to parents (Dad is deceased now) and to siblings, but they have all been resistant to pay attention to any of my efforts. The Popes have to be right, I have no idea what I'm talking about, is their mindset. I think the time that we are out of here is extremely close, so wanted to give it one more shot. Hopefully, some of what I included will resonate with them when the final seven years are underway, and they will get saved under trying circumstances. I think a lot of Catholics will finally realize how phony Catholicism is during the Trib and will turn to Christ for their salvation. That is the hope anyway.

I don't know what kind of rewards we will receive during the Bema Seat ceremony of Christ after we are Raptured, but I would gladly forfeit any of those if they are coming, and instead would rather see loved ones walking the streets of glory than to receive something else. That would be reward enough. And who knows, maybe that will be part of the reward ceremony. Would like to think so anyway.

Jaybird

I hear what you are saying. I tried to explain the concept of the Rapture to my friends because I know the RCC doesn't teach or believe in it as they promote Replacement Theology, but I think it fell on deaf ears. It's difficult to get through to them for sure, but there is always hope. There are a few ex-Catholics in my present Church so it's possible. As we know there isn't much time left and at the very least if we can show them the concept of the Rapture they might realize this in the Tribulation. I would hate to see them get to that point.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
They were all started by Apostles and can trace their lineages back to the Apostles who originally started them.

I think it would be good to be careful of what the Pharisees struggled with. They rested in heritage and traditions rather than in the truth of Jesus before them.

When we are before God in answer to our lives, He's not going to ask us whether we stayed with heritage or traditions but rather whether we responded to the truth of His Word, particularly with resting faith in Jesus Christ, alone.

Today we have several church denominations, who started very well in God's biblical truth but have now strayed so very far from God's truth that those who follow what God's Word says, rather than trusting in heritage and traditions, which is having nothing to do with the evil that these once Godly churches have morphed into.

In the same way that each generation has to come to their own personal faith in Jesus Christ rather than inadequately depending on the faith of their parents, so too a church, in each generation must have their own personal faith in Jesus Christ rather than inadequately depending on the faith of the Church Fathers. The example of the Apostles should be followed only in respect to their availing themselves personally to salvation through faith in Jesus Christ and following Him alone. However, where it is clear that a church, once a true Christ following church, has strayed from biblical truth, God's Word clearly says to stay away from them if they will not repent.

And now I make one more appeal, my dear brothers and sisters. Watch out for people who cause divisions and upset people’s faith by teaching things contrary to what you have been taught. Stay away from them. Such people are not serving Christ our Lord; they are serving their own personal interests. By smooth talk and glowing words they deceive innocent people.

Romans 16:17-18

You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!......... These teachers oppose the truth just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses. They have depraved minds and a counterfeit faith. But they won’t get away with this for long. Someday everyone will recognize what fools they are, just as with Jannes and Jambres.

2 Timothy 3:1-5, 8-9

What's the power that makes a person Godly?

The message of the cross is foolish to those who are headed for destruction! But we who are being saved know it is the very power of God.

1 Corinthians 1:18

But to those called by God to salvation, both Jews and Gentiles, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God.

1 Corinthians 1:24

So, in rejecting faith alone in Christ alone by grace alone..........the very power of God is being rejected.

This is very important to understand, for by rejecting salvation through faith in Jesus Christ, exclusively, one is actually rejecting eternal life:

But these are written so that you may continue to believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and that by believing in him you will have life by the power of his name.

John 20:31

Our salvation hinges only on whether one believes in and has faith in Jesus Christ alone:

God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him.

“There is no judgment against anyone who believes in him.
But anyone who does not believe in him has already been judged for not believing in God’s one and only Son.

John 3:17-18

In all the salvation passages of the Bible, God's Word, it's all about faith in Jesus. Mary is never mentioned is any sort of source to depend on for salvation, let alone being any sort of mediator.

It's all about Jesus Christ, who willingly died on the cross for the payment of all of our sins to the uttermost. As a result of this, when one places faith in Jesus Christ:

Now you have every spiritual gift you need as you eagerly wait for the return of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will keep you strong to the end so that you will be free from all blame on the day when our Lord Jesus Christ returns. God will do this, for he is faithful to do what he says, and he has invited you into partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.

1 Corinthians 1:7-9

God has united you with Christ Jesus. For our benefit God made him to be wisdom itself. Christ made us right with God; he made us pure and holy, and he freed us from sin. Therefore, as the Scriptures say, “If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord.”

1 Corinthians 1:30-31

SkyRider

Roman Catholicism – The One True Church?

Stephen Meehan​

For years, growing up as a Roman Catholic, we were taught that we were members of the “One True Church”. It was impressed upon us regularly by the parish priest during Mass, while giving his homily, and by the nuns all throughout my Catholic parochial school years of second through seventh grade. All adherents of Roman Catholicism believe this doctrine and the veracity of this belief was never questioned.

That doctrine was reinforced upon us during our preparation to receive for the first time the sacraments of Penance, Communion and Confirmation. All throughout the Catholic education system by attendance in CCD classes - CCD is the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine, an association established at Rome in 1562 for the purpose of giving religious education, normally designed for children – we were comforted by the fact that we belonged to the only true Church.

So, it was received proudly as an established fact, and we never felt the need to check the validity of this doctrine that we embraced. It was a matter of pride, that we were privileged enough to be members of the correct church, while all others had belonged to something else that didn’t quite measure up to the status of the Roman Catholic Church.

After all, how could it be possible that Roman Catholicism is not the One True Church?

Look at what Rome has to offer: It has the priests; the nuns; the bishops; the cardinals; and of course, the Pope. They have the Sacraments; the statues; the holy water; the incense; the Stations of the Cross; the Eucharist – in which Christ supposedly physically manifests Himself into the wafer after the consecration by the priest during the Mass; the “Mother of God”; and the Marian apparitions, which appear mainly to Roman Catholics. How could it be wrong?

And they have the Vatican, where the Vicar of Christ – the Pope - (who they believe is Christ’s representative on earth and is a stand-in for Christ), governs the faithful and makes infallible proclamations and doctrine. How can this not be the One True Church? No other organization on the face of the earth comes close to offering to its flock what Rome provides for its faithful.

But, of course, to be true, one must adhere to what has been established as truth and not teach or practice what is contrary to the truth. We read in Scripture a few passages that declare what is truth and what is not. Jesus proclaimed in John 14:6:

“I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life: no man comes to the Father, but by me.”

He also professed in John 8:31-32:

“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, ‘If you continue in my word, then are you my disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.’”

It is clear then, by just these two verses, that Jesus Christ has described Himself as Truth, and that those who adhere to His Word and practice what He taught will be living and worshipping truthfully. And that only His truth will set us free; not in anything else that detracts or subtracts from His truth.

In fact, the verse is worded in a way (“you shall know the truth”) that suggests that it is imperative to know His Word, to know His Truth, by studying the Scriptures in order to avoid any false doctrine being taught by some other source that may later try to establish itself as the bearer of truth - but is actually offering a false truth. No one wants to worship in a false church.

Jesus also proclaimed that it is only possible to worship Him correctly in spirit and in truth:

“But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeks such to worship him. God is a Spirit, and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth” - John 4:23, 24.

So, for a person or an organization to call themselves true, they must teach his Word correctly and abide by His Word. Unless one is doing that, the above verse says, that they are not true worshippers.

Another purveyor of Truth is the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised His disciples, that when He would depart from them and return to Heaven, that He would send in His stead the Comforter—the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit’s role in the world - and who indwells those who have accepted Christ’s free gift of salvation - is to point us to Jesus Christ and not to anything or anyone else as the sole means of salvation. The Holy Spirit then is the true representative of Christ in the world.

“Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it sees him not, neither knows him: but you know him; for he dwells within you and shall be in you” (John 14:17).

It takes the indwelling of the Holy Spirit into the believer to be able to discern what is written in God’s Word, and to be able to understand and to apply His truth in our Christian walk. Without His assistance, it is too easy to be lead astray and to accept false doctrine. The Holy Spirit, after all, inspired the Jewish scribes and later the Apostles, to write the books of the Holy Bible and it takes His discernment in our lives for us to properly comprehend the Word and understand it correctly.

It also stands to reason, that if one is not aware of what is contained in the Scriptures, that they are then in a position to be easily deceived and accept doctrines of men that may be inspired by another source, other than the Holy Spirit. Our adversary, Satan, is all about deception and uses many varied agencies to keep people from knowing the Truth.

Growing up as a Roman Catholic, I was completely ignorant of what was contained in the Bible, regarding Jesus, salvation, and His gospel of grace. Like most Catholics, the Holy Bible was in the home, but just collected dust and was never read. We accepted all that was taught to us by the priests, the nuns, the lay teachers in the CCD classes, and in their catechism.

Whatever they told us had to be correct, as they assured us that we were members of the One True Church. Why would they ever steer us wrong? This was the mindset of my siblings, my parents, grandparents, and going back generations of all past family members who trusted in and were raised in the Roman Catholic system. We were ignorant of anything else but their plan of salvation. Who needs self-study of the Bible, when we have them to guide us?

The Roman Catholic Church tells their members that only they, through their Magisterium - the teaching authority of the Catholic Church, as exercised by the bishops or the Pope - can properly interpret Scripture for their faithful. So, while they say they encourage the reading of the Holy Writ, it is only by their guidance and authority that one can fully understand what the verses are meant to convey. Everything that we may read in God’s Word has to be filtered through their leadership, so that we don’t get tripped up.

Why bother reading then? Just leave our destiny in their hands, as they would prefer it. The Scriptures are not open to private interpretations anyway, so Roman Catholicism and its hierarchy are needed to understand their version of the truth, as they would lead us to believe.

It wasn’t until my early 20s, that the Lord led me to start reading His Word - the Bible. At that point of my life, I wasn’t even a marginal Catholic. I stopped going to Mass, stopped going to the normally required weekly confessions to a priest, and had pretty much given up on their version of the faith. Plus, I got tired of the repetitiveness of the Mass.

The rote prayers; genuflecting before the figure on the cross; the lighting of votive candles before a statue - usually of “Mary”, or their version of her; dipping my hand in the “Holy Water” and making the “sign of the cross”; receiving the Eucharist wafer and giving my assent when the priest said, “The body of Christ” that I was consuming the physical body of Jesus; and the whole bit. It was all very ritualistic, legalistic, lacking any real passion and completely devoid of the presence of Christ.

But, in reading the Word for the first time, I began to see that what God has revealed to us through the Scriptures doesn’t completely mirror the teachings of Rome. In fact, most of it doesn’t. You would think that the One True Church would certainly follow what Christ and the Apostles taught.

Why would they teach something different, if they are in fact the One True Church? Wouldn’t they follow and teach all that Scripture reveals to us and that they shouldn’t deviate from the Truth? Have they got the ultimate authority to change God’s Word or trump His commandments?

For instance, Exodus 20:4, the second commandment, forbids us from worshipping graven images, and yet Rome has deleted this commandment and subdivided the last one, which tells us not to covet our neighbor’s belongings. How can they delete a commandment? Christ said “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” not delete them - John 14:15.

Is it that important for Rome to disregard a commandment, so that the parishioners can dress up, light candles before, and parade behind statues or graven images, as the Bible calls them? Was the prohibition of worshipping before a graven image only meant for the Jews, but Christians are free to do so? Over and over throughout the Word, we are told that God detests that kind of activity. He abhors praying before statues or to anyone or anything other than God.

Rome calls the Pope the Vicar of Christ (Christ’s representative on earth) but that title is more befitting the Holy Spirit: He is the Comforter that Christ promised; He is the one who indwells each believer; and He is the one who seals us, points us to Jesus Christ, and gives us discernment in reading the Word. Why would we call a mere man Christ’s representative in the world? The Holy Spirit is God – the third member of the Trinity – and who is better qualified to be the “Vicar of Christ”? God, who indwells all believers or a man sitting in Rome or riding around in a popemobile?

Rome calls the Pope the Holy Father, but Jesus used this term only once in Scripture referring to God the Father as the Holy Father:

“And now I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through your own name those whom thou has given me, that they may be one, as we are” -John 17:14.

Neither Jesus, nor the Apostles would ever use that term in addressing a man; only God the Father is the Holy Father. In fact, Christ even told His followers not to refer to any man as our father (spiritual father):

And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven” Matthew 23:9

If Christ told us not to do it, why does Rome give that title to their priests? Is this something that a One True Church should be doing—flaunting God’s Word? Are they exempt from this restriction and can override Christ’s teachings? It doesn’t add up. Are they really true or false?

If we are truly Christians, we should be following Christ’s examples and His admonitions. If they are truly the one true church, shouldn’t they be abiding by His Word instead of disregarding it? If their priests are true Christians, wouldn’t they be our brothers and not supposed fathers? If we are indeed Christians and following after Christ, do we have a license to ignore His teachings and instead are free to worship after the dictates of one governing from Rome, instead of Heaven?

There are countless other examples of where the teachings of Rome fly in direct contrast to the teachings of Jesus and His disciples. Perhaps the biggest is the question of our salvation.

Repeatedly in the gospels and in the other books of the New Testament are verses telling us that Christ’s Gospel is a gospel of grace and is freely given to all those who would accept it. It is not by works and it cannot be earned.

Grace is God’s unmerited favor; it is impossible to work for it, neither can one ever be good enough to attain it:

“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God Not of works, lest any man should boast” (Ephesians 2:8, 9).

“Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost” (Titus 3:5).

“For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord” (Romans 6:23).

“Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shall be saved…” (Acts 16:31-32).

Why would Rome insist that we have to work along with God’s grace - what they refer to as “cooperating grace” - in order to be saved? The very expression of cooperating grace or cooperating with grace is a contradiction in terms. Grace is free, works are not.

If grace is unmerited favor and is freely given by God, how can one then co-operate or work alongside with it to receive it? Co-operating with grace would nullify grace; it wouldn’t be freely received.

Their works for attaining salvation include: Going to weekly Mass; partaking of the sacraments; paying a penalty or penance for one’s sins - which denies the sufficiency of Christ’s death on the cross to cover all sins; and then finally spending time in a fictitious place called Purgatory, to purge away any leftover sins that Christ’s blood couldn’t cover, or not enough penance was performed.

Purgatory is just another means of denying the sufficiency of Christ’s atonement for our sins; it is the ultimate declaration that His agonizing crucifixion on a wooden cross - the plan of salvation that was established before the foundation of the world was laid - was not enough to pay the cost of all of our sins. These teachings do not come from God but instead have Satan’s fingerprints all over them.

In other words, when Christ uttered those final words, “It is finished” it signified that He had satisfied the wrath of God against us for the sins we have committed and that all our sins were “paid in full.” Rome declares that no, it is not finished and the paying of penances and time spent in Purgatory is required. It is a rejection of what Christ accomplished and what the Holy inspired Word of God confirms to us about Jesus paying the penalty for ALL our sins. A true Church does not deny the sufficiency of what Jesus suffered for us. It is blasphemous and heretical.

Their gospel is a complete distortion of the gospel of grace, and is in fact another gospel—as the apostle Paul warned against:

“I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel. Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed” (Galatians 1:6-9).

Why would Rome teach another gospel? They are leading their followers astray and the gospel they teach can’t possibly save anyone. A gospel of works nullifies God’s free gift of grace:

“And if by grace, then is it no more of works: otherwise, grace is no more grace. But if it be of works, then is it no more grace: otherwise, work is no more work” (Romans 11:6).

“Who has saved us, and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to his own purpose and grace, which was given us in Christ Jesus before the world began” (2 Timothy 1:9).

It should be clear that a true church would never teach a false gospel. Along with the aforementioned false teachings – and there are many others - Rome has taken upon itself to invent new teachings over the centuries that neither Jesus nor the Apostles ever taught. Here is a brief list of some of their “infallible” doctrines that they have implemented:

* Prayers for the Dead and the Sign of the Cross. 300AD

* Veneration of Angels and Dead Saints. 375AD

* The Mass, as a daily celebration adopted. 394AD

* The worship of Mary, and the use of the term “Mother of God.” 431AD

* Priests begin to dress differently from the laity. 500AD

* Extreme Unction or Last Rites as a sacrament. 526AD

* Doctrine of Purgatory established (denies Christ’s sufficiency). 593AD

* Latin language used in prayer and worship in churches (not all Catholics understood Latin, rendering the words meaningless). 600AD

* Prayers directed to Mary (even though Jesus taught to pray only to the Father Matthew 6:9). 600AD

* Title of Pope bestowed upon the Bishop of Rome. 610AD

* Kissing of the Pope’s feet. 709AD

* Temporal power of the Popes. 750AD

* Worship of the Cross, Images and Relics (idolatry). 788AD

* Holy Water instituted. 850AD

* Veneration of St. Joseph begins. 890AD

* Baptism of Bells. 965AD

* Canonization of Dead Saints ALL Christians are saints!). 995AD

* Fasting on Fridays and during Lent. 998AD

* The Mass is an ongoing sacrifice of Jesus and attendance mandatory. 1079AD

* Celibacy of Priesthood. 1079AD

* Praying the Rosary introduced (vain repetitions, Christ warns against Matthew 6:7). 1090AD

* Inquisition of Heretics (Bible believing Christians who didn’t bend the knee to Rome). 1184AD

* Selling of Indulgences to lessen time spent in Purgatory (denies Christ’s full atonement). 1190AD

* Transubstantiation priest can transform a wafer into Jesus Christ. 1215AD

* Confession of sin to a priest. 1215AD

* Adoration of the wafer (blasphemy, idolatry). 1220AD

* Bible forbidden to be read or owned by laymen (Bibles deny Rome’s teachings). 1229AD

* Scapular of Mary worn frees a person from Purgatory (nonsense). 1287AD

* Cup of Blood of Christ forbidden to be touched by laymen. 1414AD

* Doctrine of Purgatory proclaimed to be Dogma of the Faith. 1439AD

* Doctrine of 7 Sacraments affirmed (works that must be done along with grace). 1439AD

* Ava Maria instituted (Prayer/hymn to Mary). 1508AD

* Tradition of Rome equal with Scripture (free license for popes in false declarations). 1545AD

* Apocryphal books added to Rome’s Bible. 1546AD

* Immaculate Conception of Mary (they declare she was born without sin Romans 3:23). 1834AD

* Papal Infallibility (pope can declare anything and their faithful must believe). 1870AD

* Modern Science “Modernism” condemned by pope. 1907AD

* Condemnation of public schools (Rome couldn’t teach kids their doctrines). 1930AD

* “Mother of God” title to Mary reaffirmed. 1931AD

* Assumption of the Virgin Mary (Mary bodily arose to Heaven – not in Bible). 1950AD

Along with these doctrines that Rome has established over the years for their faithful to adhere to and further one’s bondage to their system, they have also leveled condemnations or “anathemas’ on all bible believing Christians who would not submit to the papacy or their system. Here is a sampling of 100 or so anathemas that the papacy has declared over the years:

– If anyone says that the sinner is justified by faith alone, meaning that nothing else is required to cooperate in order to obtain the grace of justification…let him be anathema.

– If anyone says that justifying faith is nothing else than confidence in divine mercy which remits sins for Christ’s sake, or that it is this confidence alone that justifies us, let him be anathema.

– If anyone says that he will for certain, with an absolute and infallible certainty, have that great gift of perseverance even to the end, unless he shall have learned this by special revelation, let him be anathema. (1 John 5:13 tells us that we can be assured of our salvation. Either John, through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit is lying to us, or Rome is.)

– If anyone says that the Catholic doctrine of justification as set forth by the holy council in the present decree, derogates in some respect from the glory of God or the merits of our Lord Jesus Christ, and does not rather illustrate the truth of our faith and no less the glory of God and of Jesus Christ, let him be anathema. (The Bible declares that Rome’s doctrine is in error.)

– If anyone says that the sacraments of the New Law were not all instituted by our Lord Jesus Christ, or that there are more or less than seven, or that any one of these seven is not truly and intrinsically a sacrament, let him be anathema. (The sacraments are works and nullify grace.)

– If anyone…denies that wonderful and singular change of the whole substance of the bread into the body and the whole substance of the wine into the blood – which change the Catholic Church most aptly calls transubstantiation, let him be anathema. (Worshipping a wafer is both idolatrous and blasphemous.)

Whether they realize it or not, they have not only bestowed these condemnations on all Bible believing Christians, but on Christ and His Apostles as well – including Peter, who they claim was the first pope. Neither Jesus nor the Apostles would never teach the things that Rome claims nor would they have any part in their false religious system.

Is Roman Catholicism, as they contend, the One True Church? Not hardly, if they teach doctrines of men – and most likely Satan - instead of the Word of God:

“Why do ye also transgress the commandment of God by your tradition?” (Matthew 15:3).

“Thus have you made the commandment of God of none effect by your tradition” (Matthew 15:6).

“But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men” (Matthew 15:9).

“And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition” (Mark 7:9).

Dear Roman Catholic, there is no way that the church of Rome can be the One True Church. They offer a false gospel and there is no truth in it. The true church of Christ is the Body of all believers who have put their complete faith and trust in the finished work of Christ on the cross – it is not just a particular denomination or any other manmade religious system.

Works are not a part of His salvation; neither is paying a penance for your own sins, or going to a purging place called Purgatory, or any of the other means of attaining salvation that Rome concocts.

As a matter of fact, after a lifetime of being active in their system, being baptized as an infant; attending mandatory weekly mass (and should you miss one Sunday purposely), they claim you have committed a “mortal sin” and would go to hell if the mortal sin is not confessed to a priest. So, you confessed your sins to a priest and paid a penalty or Penance for those sins; you received Jesus Christ physically (instead of spiritually as the Bible attests) through their Eucharistic service, yet salvation is still not guaranteed.

After performing the other sacraments; and then ultimately, after death, spending an undetermined amount of time suffering in Purgatory to purge away any remaining sins that Christ couldn’t cover because His plan of redemption obviously came up short, one can still never claim that they have any assurance of salvation.

According to Rome, one commits the “sin of Presumption” if they believe they can claim to know for sure that they have secured salvation through Christ; an anathema will be directed your way if you claim that you know that you are saved. Even though the apostle John—the one whom Christ entrusted with the care of His earthly mother after His death on the cross, assured us regarding salvation:

“These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God” (1 John 5:13).

All of the so-called works that the Catholic must do to try to attain salvation only furthers one’s commitment to their religion to try to appease God and ends up increasing their bondage to this false system: that only the “Holy Mother Church” can save us; the priests are needed for absolving our sins; their Mass has to be attended; the sacraments are needed; and on and on it goes.

Even the erroneous doctrine of Purgatory is presented with the caveat that one’s time can be lessened there by buying Mass cards, donating money to the Roman Catholic Church, etc. It is all about their system and not Christ. It is clearly a system of bondage.

The Roman Catholic Church is not the One True Church.

Their system offers really no hope. It is a counterfeit Christianity and they present a corrupted version of the truth. On the surface, they appeal to the flesh in all their displays of piety, ritualism, relics, images, incense, candles, acts of contrition, shrines usually dedicated to Mary mainly, as well as other dead saints. And for the most part, Christ is left out in all of their regalia, unless, of course, He is depicted as a baby or still hanging on the cross.

All of that is a bad substitute for the real thing but is attractive to those who have no clue as to what God’s Word says about sin, atonement, salvation or a gospel of grace.

They don’t waste an opportunity to diminish what Christ has performed for us on the cross, or who Christ really is. Instead of rightly pointing to the Creator for salvation, they point to the created: the priests; the popes; the statues; the wafer; “Mary” (or their version of Mary); the dead saints; the “Holy Mother Church” as they refer to the Catholic Church; and anything else other than Jesus Christ.

They really do teach another gospel and have another Jesus—who is received via “Transubstantiation”, but is powerless to cover all of our sins; and another Mary. The Mary of the Bible doesn’t reflect any of the attributes that Rome has ascribed to her. She wasn’t sinless, didn’t remain a virgin after the birth of Christ, she had other children, she is not a co-redeemer or co-mediator and doesn’t hear or answer prayer. She is not deity or a stand-in for God. By placing Mary before Jesus or God in our worship, one is in fact breaking the first commandment which commands us not to have any gods before the real God. And yes, they do worship her like a god.

They emphatically are not the true church, despite their proclamations otherwise. One day, we will all stand before Christ at His judgment. If you die as a Roman Catholic, Rome will not be there to defend you.

If they can’t even be entrusted with the safeguarding of its members’ children (speaking of the decades, maybe centuries long molestation and raping of children by their clergy, and the cover-up and relocation of these criminals to other parishes by their bishops, cardinals and popes), how can you possibly trust them with your eternal security and salvation? The bottom line is this: You can’t…and you must not. They are not what they try to portray. They are false and evil.

Instead, accept the One who WILL be there in front of you at His judgment. Don’t be beguiled by the enemy and accept a false substitute plan of salvation. Accept His free gift of salvation, believe in Him and His Word, and His Truth will indeed set you free!

“Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ” (Colossians 2:8).

“There is a way which seems right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death” (Proverbs 14:12).

[email protected]

Jaybird

SkyRider - great article about the RCC and its duplicity. Another forum member (UntilTheWholeWorldHears) likes to call the RCC "Satan's Masterpiece" and this describes them to a tee. It all looks so "religious" from the outside with there priestly garments, statues and rituals, but when it is all said and done it ultimately denies the simple message of the Gospel. We can only pray that our family members and friends see the light of the true Gospel!!!!

Set free 47

The true church is the church of the first born or the church of the new born. (Heb 12:23) This is the only church that counts for everlasting life. It is composed of all who have trusted in Christ as their Savior. All who are members have been baptized and sealed by Spirit of God. (1 Cor 12:12,13; Eph 1:13,14). It is not an institution or a brick and mortar building; it is a body of all who have believed the gospel of their salvation thru the Lord Jesus Christ who was put to death for our sins and raised for our justification (Rom 4:24,25).
Many people are deceived into trying to find which denomination or church is the "true church." I once heard an RCC priest say something like, "there are many churches in this city, but only one true church, meaning the RCC." Please, do not be deceived by this!

Set free 47

As I remember during their mass, they will sometimes sing something like, "Lamb of God you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us." Confusing? if He took away their sins, why are they asking for mercy?

Here's another from their mass, it goes something like this, they will sometimes sing, "In dying You destroyed our death and in rising You restored our life. Lord Jesus"
If they actually believed this then what is the problem?

Set free 47

As I remember during their mass, they will sometimes sing something like, "Lamb of God you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us." Confusing? if He took away their sins, why are they asking for mercy?

Here's another from their mass, it goes something like this, they will sometimes sing, "In dying You destroyed our death and in rising You restored our life. Lord Jesus"
If they actually believed this then what is the problem?
Just to clarify what I said above: Catholics sing songs that would seem to make you think they actually believed in salvation by grace alone thru faith alone, but they actually don't believe this. The RCC does not teach that the Lamb of God has literally taken away the sins of the world, and they add other requirements. And they don't really believe Christ's dying for our sins and rising from the dead completes their salvation.

Jaybird

The RCC condemned the notion of salvation by faith alone at the Council of Trent. According to the RCC it is by faith and Church traditions.

I guess the Pope has never read this passage from Galatians 1: 6-9.

"I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting him who called you in the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel— not that there is another one, but there are some who trouble you and want to distort the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach to you a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be accursed. As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be accursed.

Perhaps he has read this verse and chooses a different interpretation!!!!

Back