Is prepping wrong?

heisable2

10 years ago I lived in California. I belong to a Bible study and several of the people that were there were prepping and learning how to can food.

Because I lived in California there were a lot of things that could benefit from prepping. There were earthquakes, droughts, forest fires, power outages, and a whole lot of other things.

So it seemed the correct thing to do to learn how to can and start prepping for things that could happen down the line.

The question that I have is is it wrong to prep for disasters or for the future? I depend on the Lord for everything that I do and for everything that I have.

Canning has come in handy because I have food right there on the shelf ready to eat. It was there for my son to eat soup and beef stew when he came home from work. I had quart jars of soup that I was able to give to a friend who had lost his job and was in need of food for himself and his daughter. After he was finished, he left the 12 quart jars by my front door. He was very thankful for the food. And praise God that I had it to share.

I now live in Florida and even though where I live does not get a direct hit from a hurricane, they do happen.
When I moved here I started canning again, but not at the great length that I did in California. At the store where I shop, there are many sales for buy one get one. The Lord impressed upon my heart that I could use this to buy food for the food bank at my church. So in addition to find food for myself, I bought food for the Lord and his work.

I was reading something in the news that stated that people that prepped were liberals who were thinking they would need the food to get through hard times I.e the tribulation.

I am not a liberal. I am a Republican and a conservative. Is it wrong for me as a Christian to prepare for emergencies? I've always had an emergency box in my garage for such things as earthquakes or hurricanes. I always had a two-week supply of food to use in case I needed it.

I trust in the Lord completely. But does this make me a sinner or a person that does not trust the lord?

I'd be interested to hear if there are others that prep for emergencies. I realize that there are companies where you can buy food for emergencies. And I have purchased food like that and I have enough food for over a year in addition to what I purchased and canned.This past Christmas I even gave this type of food too my family.

Thanks.

Misty S

No. No it is not wrong. We are in a world where we have to interact with the curse. Thankfully, this will not persist. Who sets the time limit on how long you can store provisions for say 1 hour vs 1 day vs 1 week vs 1 month vs 1 year? No need to induce self-imposed headaches.

We have a stock and contigency as to not be a part of the problem, rather we prefer to be part of the solution and share with those in need if need be. I think intent is important. If you are hoarding to see after your own skin and only your own skin while depriving others? Not so on board with that.

We are not paranoid, we are not fearful. We have observed reality and history time and again and have adjusted accordingly. See Katrina. See COVID-19 Shortages. See winter power outages and so on and so forth.

Last edited:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
During the age when most people lived on farms, you preserved your own portion of the harvest and likely kept it in a root cellar to get you through until you could plant that crop again, or at least through the winter months and spring until you could harvest new crops. You slaughtered animals and smoked and canned the meat and you canned fruit and vegetables. You couldn't really can too much, as it was common to share with others.

Today, when most of us live in cities and don't grow our own food, we are extremely vulnerable to shortage. It may not seem like it, but we are. Most food now comes from large farms and when a large farm has problems with a crop a shortage of that item(s) can affect a large area. It's my opinion that just as we should build up a little savings for possible periods of unemployment, illness, unexpected expenses, etc., we should also keep a store of food. How much? However much we individually feel comfortable with.

By ensuring a store for yourself and your family, you're using the brains God gave you. You are depending upon the Lord to give you the wisdom for such things.

When there is too much month at the end of the money and or food, it isn't that God isn't providing, it's more likely we haven't been good stewards of all that God has given us.

GEOINTAnalyst

Prepping is a mindset and a way of living. Prepping is an understanding that preparing for tomorrow means you must put aside food, water and supplies today. It's knowing that knowledge weighs nothing and that the skills you acquire today might save your life tomorrow. Survival is a combination of skills, knowledge, prayer and hope. The prepper mindset is to prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. There is nothing wrong with Prepping but I would not tell to many people because when things go seriously bad and survivial is the rule of the day, they may turn on you and take what you stored. But we must be careful not to place extraordinary confidence in those preparations. But we must be careful not to place extraordinary confidence in those preparations.
Prov 21:20 The wise store up choice food and olive oil, but fools gulp theirs down (NIV)

Last edited:
As Expirion noted above, prepping is a mindset. Maybe 8-9 years ago, an unsaved friend of mine showed me 'Doomsday Preppers' on TV and they were really 'off the deep end'. I had never thought about prepping before then. I watched parts of maybe 5-6 episodes at home when I stumbled upon it. They were so off the deep end I couldn't stand more than 10-15 minutes at a time. I always get a laugh out of their having elaborate well stocked bunkers in the middle of nowhere and they figure they'll be able to simply drive there and be safe. Never mind that undetected submarines in the Atlantic could launch a strike against all major cities along the east coast with less 1 minute 'notice' before the bombs hit.

Here in western MA, we had a 2012 Halloween blizzard (very early in the season) that knocked out electricity for more than a week for some. I live on the same highway 1/2 mile from my local police & fire departments, so I got electricity after 2 days. Having an anthracite coal stoker stove that I had been heating with due to high cost of natural gas 2007-2011, I wasn't on the stoker then but I knew I needed a generator 'just in case' of another lengthy blackout. So I purchased a 2000w generator. I also have securement hooks embedded in the corner of the sidewalk adjacent to my back door to secure the generator as there were numerous reports of stolen generators during that blackout. The generator isn't big enough to run the whole house, but I can selectively run 2 extension cords for lights, TV (satellite), refrigerator, microwave, NG tankless water heater, space heater, cell phone charging, etc. I never needed it until this past spring and everything worked as expected. I only used 6-7 gallons of the 40 gallons of gas I have stored in 5 gallon cans in my garage. Being a senior citizen that lives alone, ie, prime target for home invasion, one of my friends at church suggested I get a gun. So after getting fully licensed in MA, I am now armed at home. I also started laying in canned food as well as some military MREs. It's a good thing I like peanut butter and jelly and canned soup. I figure I can use some to barter with. I also prepped a couple 'get away' bags in case looters and rioters are coming down the street or in case my house burns down. I have bags in my hall closet, 1 in my 2nd floor bedroom, and 2 in my car.

Although the signs of the times so clearly show that Jesus is about to call His bride any second, there's nothing in Gods' Word that I can find that indicates 'how bad will it get' moving towards the start of the tribulation before we are out of here. I doubt that believers thought it could get as bad as it is these days and we're still here. So, with all I have 'laid in', I could go 30 days or more with no electricity, grocery stores, etc. I had a stock of toilet paper long before Covid hit. I supplied a couple of friends during the TP shortage. It's obvious that the restrainer is holding back the flood of events that will start the final countdown in hours or days until the tribulation. The Arizona election audit, when released, will likely cause the extreme right to riot. (Is anyone surprised how its release keeps getting 'delayed'?) At the same time, the Democrats will be doing all they can to divert attention from their misdeeds. When Biden is removed and Harris takes over, 'hang on'! They'll be coming for our guns first. Then they will be coming with guns to force us to get the depopulation vaccine. Israel will soon 'clean out' the Gaza Strip, also, missiles will likely come their way about the same time. And Magog will soon be coming for their oil and whatever else they think they can take.

The tribulation is soooooo close! And we'll be GONE even sooner!!!

Umbrella Girl

Now we see through a glass, darkly; (1 Cor 13:12)
No, prepping is not sinful. In fact, it is a wise thing to do, according to Proverbs 6:6-11:

6 Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! 7 It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, 8 yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. 9How long will you lie there, you sluggard? When will you get up from your sleep? 10 A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest— 11 and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Prepping is a mindset and a way of living.

But there's a wide distance between people who try to be prepared. Some may put so much thought and work into preparing for tomorrow that they miss out on life today.

At the other end of the spectrum is someone who maybe has a couple extra cans of soup and an extra package of toilet paper but who don't really think overly much about tomorrow.

Many who have a pantry full of food don't see themselves as preppers, they're just being wise, and their most important day is today. Their mindset doesn't have much if any similarity with the prepper who has a desire to have their own fully stocked bunker that they can flee to when needed with their bugout bag.

TimeWarpWife

I can only attribute this "nagging" feeling I had to start stocking up on canned goods, toilet paper, medicines, soap, detergent, etc. starting in Feb. 2020 to the Holy Spirit. I've never been someone who puts aside extra supplies before, but something or rather Someone moved me to do this. Thankfully, we never ran out of anything during the lockdown that started the end of March 2020 and went through June of this year. And through God's blessing to us, we were able to bless one of our neighbors who ran out of things and couldn't find them in the store. In fact, I've kept it up because I live in a state run by Communist Democrats who are already rumbling about the possibility of coming lockdowns, my local grocery stores are starting to show signs of some empty shelves ~ which I have an idea is due to others who are "prepping" for what might be coming ~ and the possibility of my state mandating the jab passports in order to shop in the stores.

Lovin Jesus

I don't believe prepping is wrong if it is done in wisdom considering the facts that there are situations where it's always wide to prepare on case of an emergency. Being practical as to what would be of most essential to the meds of your family should natural disaster happen or if something would make it impossible to get to a food store or to not have access to medicine. When Jesus referred to not being anxious over "things" in Matthew chapter 6 he was pointing to what is of most importance between storing treasures on earth or in heaven and of course for a believer storing our treasures in heaven is most important. Yes God always provides but I think he would want us to be wise to assure we have what is needed

Last edited:

GEOINTAnalyst

But there's a wide distance between people who try to be prepared. Some may put so much thought and work into preparing for tomorrow that they miss out on life today.

At the other end of the spectrum is someone who maybe has a couple extra cans of soup and an extra package of toilet paper but who don't really think overly much about tomorrow.

Many who have a pantry full of food don't see themselves as preppers, they're just being wise, and their most important day is today. Their mindset doesn't have much if any similarity with the prepper who has a desire to have their own fully stocked bunker that they can flee to when needed with their bugout bag.
To be prepared is a way of thinking - define "plenty of food" - one week, one month, one year? How about getting "Fresh Water" do you have a filtration unit a make fresh water from a pond or river to remove bacteria and other harmful stuff such as Giardia, Salmonella, or Naeglaira which is an "Brain eating Amoeba" that thrives in fresh water and the like? Some people foolishly believe that a case of water is being prepared that may last a couple of days then what? It is different for people, me at least one month's worth - more would be preferable but like myself I do a little here and there

Dave

I don't feel it is. Just use common sense and I think you are good. If you are purchasing with the thought in mind of reselling to make a profit then yeah you are in the wrong. I always remember the tale of the Grasshopper and the Ants and how prepared they were for the Winter Storm and how lazy the grasshopper was. Its wise to stock up.