Is John Piper a Calvinist?

AnewcreationinJesus

Soon and very soon ....
Another interesting thing I found about Calvinists is they don't really believe man has free will. As you said, the Holy Spirit must 'regenerate us' out of our 'total depravity' before God makes the faith decision through us to trust Christ for salvation. So he regenerates us so that he can make the faith decision??? We are basically robots with no choice. Of coarse this only happens if 'we are the elect.' With this being said, my mind instantly jumps to this question - If we have no free will and we are predetermined by God to make the decisions we make, what kind of god predestines some men to say yes and some to say no, then 'judges' the ones he made say no and gives them 'justice' and sends them to hell? Is this justice if there is no free will to choose???

So many things wrong with this theology. But of coarse, when you are looking through the Calvinist lens, you are blind to the Truth.
Fell into TULIP for a while myself brother so I know full well how they put the entire Bible through that lens **shudder**!!!!!!! Praise the Lord he got me out through one simple verse:

Christ died for the sins of THE WHOLE WORLD!!!!! TULIPers desperately have to add words and twist scripture to make THAT say different .....

The invitation to all in Revelation 22 ....to come, the invitation....the many uses of the verb "believe" in John's Gospel ....the entirety of the word shows man has a responsibility to believe and indeed can believe. .......TULIP has to add many many words to scripture ....for example. ...

For God so loved the world (of the elect while passing over others) that he gave his only begotten Son (who only died for the elect) that whosoever (of those God drags to himself through irresistible grace) believes (but man has no free will so cannot believe for himself so God has to regenerate him first to then believe) in him will not perish but have eternal life .. ...

It's frightening once a person falls into THAT! !!!!!

Last edited:

Mike Evans

Another interesting thing I found about Calvinists is they don't really believe man has free will. As you said, the Holy Spirit must 'regenerate us' out of our 'total depravity' before God makes the faith decision through us to trust Christ for salvation. So he regenerates us so that he can make the faith decision??? We are basically robots with no choice. Of coarse this only happens if 'we are the elect.' With this being said, my mind instantly jumps to this question - If we have no free will and we are predetermined by God to make the decisions we make, what kind of god predestines some men to say yes and some to say no, then 'judges' the ones he made say no and gives them 'justice' and sends them to hell? Is this justice if there is no free will to choose??? What kind of god would call this justice??? Only the god of this world, the father of lies, the deceiver, Satan.

So many things wrong with this theology. But of coarse, when you are looking through the Calvinist lens, you are blind to the Truth.
Yes, Calvinism is more insidious and dangerous than many think it to be. Because it teaches much that is fundamental and correct in OTHER areas, it is often regarded as having " just a different take on some inessentials".
Nothing could be farther from the truth. Preaching a 'different gospel' is serious. Those trapped in this mindset - some of whom are no doubt saved-need to be rescued from it. When I was deceived by WOF Pentecostalism, THAT is what I led people to, NOT the Christ of the gospel. I STARTED with the latter, but unwittingly was led to the wrong gospel/Christ.
What is interesting of late is that Calvinist "Discernment websites" such as Reformation Charlotte and Protestia (formerly Pulpit and Pen) are promoting Orthodox Catholics (actor Jim Caviezel) and NAR events (Sean Feucht of Bethel/Saturate 2020) simply because they are in agreement with defying US Covid restrictions. No warning of their doctrinal aberrations given. They are also on board with John MacArthur who proclaims only saved people would vote for Trump (a false convert surrounded by NAR prophets)! How truly bizarre. Next they will all be holding hands with Paula White and Rodney Howard-Browne in the White House (which Bethel leaders have also invaded-Trump is open to anyone, inc Rabbi Schneerson-worshipping Chabadists who HATE Jesus)

Last edited:

Matthew6:33

Withstand in the evil day. Eph 6:13
When I was deceived by WOF Pentecostalism, THAT is what I led people to, NOT the Christ of the gospel.
This is the boat that I am in with a relative. She is heavy WOF, divine healing, name it and claim it (that's the jesus that she preaches). She is elderly and sick and I am afraid that her "faith" in her "faith to be healed" may be a very bad thing for her (read about the deaths caused by Hagin and others who would not take medication and ignore side effects because it was the 'devil' trying to keep them from healing). I am still reading A Different Gospel, which you recommended. I fear it may just be a little too heavy and scholarly for her. I am planning on sending it to her anyway and writing her a letter and maybe having a phone call. I just don't want to come off abrasive and offensive to her. I guess its in God's hands, as He is the only one that can lift the scales from someone's eyes. It's a tough situation but I will just do my best.

Mike Evans

The gleefulness about predestination that these Calvinistic teachers espouse really gives me chills. Honestly, it's one of the more frightening doctrines out there that is in the "faith".
Yes. This doctrine puts them into a
"Catch 22" corner. On one hand, there is the spiritual pride attached to being one of the elect and having all this "deeper (Gnostic) knowledge" that poor, ignorant "Arminians" don't yet have. On the other hand, Satan often torments them with the doubt that they may NOT be among the elect but only think that they are. Even RC Sproul spoke of being paralysed with this fear on one occasion. Many Puritans died in panic that they were not really in the "elect club of Calvin".
Also, they conveniently excuse or explain away the brutality of Calvin's regime in Geneva. The slow, torturous execution of Servetus is just one of many. A child who struck one of his parents was beheaded. A woman who denied infant baptism was burned at the stake WITH HER INFANT CHILD. Jim Jones sounds kinder....
Why on earth think someone who can sanction such punishments has the best understanding of scripture? I have heard his name uttered in worshipful tones by cult members, I mean, Calvinists. They love Zwingli too, who DROWNED believers who denied infant baptism and taught believer's baptism for Christians. These men and Luther believed in Baptsimal Regeneration (another gospel according to Paul, who labelled any alteration which promoted a work as imperative for salvation under this category). Calvin even stated infant baptisms performed by Roman Catholic priests (eg. such as his own) were still valid.
What a fine interpreter of scripture... NOT!

Eric Nicholas

Yes. This doctrine puts them into a
"Catch 22" corner. On one hand, there is the spiritual pride attached to being one of the elect and having all this "deeper (Gnostic) knowledge" that poor, ignorant "Arminians" don't yet have. On the other hand, Satan often torments them with the doubt that they may NOT be among the elect but only think that they are. Even RC Sproul spoke of being paralysed with this fear on one occasion. Many Puritans died in panic that they were not really in the "elect club of Calvin".
Also, they conveniently excuse or explain away the brutality of Calvin's regime in Geneva. The slow, torturous execution of Servetus is just one of many. A child who struck one of his parents was beheaded. A woman who denied infant baptism was burned at the stake WITH HER INFANT CHILD. Jim Jones sounds kinder....
Why on earth think someone who can sanction such punishments has the best understanding of scripture? I have heard his name uttered in worshipful tones by cult members, I mean, Calvinists. They love Zwingli too, who DROWNED believers who denied infant baptism and taught believer's baptism for Christians. These men and Luther believed in Baptsimal Regeneration (another gospel according to Paul, who labelled any alteration which promoted a work as imperative for salvation under this category). Calvin even stated infant baptisms performed by Roman Catholic priests (eg. such as his own) were still valid.
What a fine interpreter of scripture... NOT!
I am in total agreement with this. I'm curious if this is the time of fear which you speak of regarding Sproul. I'll quote below:

"But one thing I know for sure—if I do, if I’ve deceived myself all these years, and if I’m one who says, “Lord, Lord, didn’t I do this and didn’t I do that,” and He looks at me and says, “Please leave. I don’t know you,” and He sends me to hell—one thing I can promise you is that I’ll be a weeper, not a gnasher. Because if I know anything about theology, I know that if He sent me to hell tonight, I could make no just complaint against Him.

I’ve been guilty of treason—cosmic treason. Every time I have sinned, I’ve asserted my will over the will of my Creator. I have declared that I am sovereign, not the Lord God. I’ve worked against His kingdom, not for it. I’ve sinned against the holy and infinitely righteous being who owes me nothing. And if I wake up in hell, I will realize I’ve only received what my life has merited: not cruelty, not injustice, but perfect justice."

I really cannot think of much more horrifying. I've never forgotten this since I heard it. So was that it or was it another time that he professed fear?

Mike Evans

I am in total agreement with this. I'm curious if this is the time of fear which you speak of regarding Sproul. I'll quote below:

"But one thing I know for sure—if I do, if I’ve deceived myself all these years, and if I’m one who says, “Lord, Lord, didn’t I do this and didn’t I do that,” and He looks at me and says, “Please leave. I don’t know you,” and He sends me to hell—one thing I can promise you is that I’ll be a weeper, not a gnasher. Because if I know anything about theology, I know that if He sent me to hell tonight, I could make no just complaint against Him.

I’ve been guilty of treason—cosmic treason. Every time I have sinned, I’ve asserted my will over the will of my Creator. I have declared that I am sovereign, not the Lord God. I’ve worked against His kingdom, not for it. I’ve sinned against the holy and infinitely righteous being who owes me nothing. And if I wake up in hell, I will realize I’ve only received what my life has merited: not cruelty, not injustice, but perfect justice."

I really cannot think of much more horrifying. I've never forgotten this since I heard it. So was that it or was it another time that he professed fear?
That sounds like it. I heard an audio clip a few weeks back. I forget the show and channel for the moment.

Mike Evans

@Mike Evans, can you recommend a good book that speaks of the abominations done by Calvin? I would like to add this to my reading list. I think we can learn so much by Church history because it does not just show theology, it shows how these followers actually WALKED!
I'm sure there must be books out there. I gathered my data on Calvin from the internet. Here are a couple of good articles/websites:

https://biblelife.org/calvinism.htm

This one has many good articles on Calvin and Calvinism:

https://www.discerningtheworld.com/2013/05/14/calvinists-justify-the-known-murderer-john-calvin/

I believe the best book to get exposing Calvin and his doctrines is WHAT LOVE IS THIS? by Dave Hunt. I plan to acquire it. He has produced excellent material and is on many good YouTube videos. His website is The Berean Call, now run by his partner in ministry, T. A. McMahon. Dave passed away in 2013.
Lighthouse Trails, a good discernment website, produced a book a few years ago NONE DARE CALL IT HERESY. They have printed excerpts from it online.

Last edited:

ragamuffin

Here's some resources that were very helpful for me to properly grasp Calvinism when I discovered I was unknowingly in a Calvinist church:

Professor Leighton Flowers site (an ex Calvinist): https://soteriology101.com/

Kevin Thompson's YouTube channel "Beyond the Fundamentals" (playlist: Calvinism Defeated) has many Calvinism related videos.

Dr. Randy White's series - What is Reformed Theology

ReadyOrNot

I didn’t know this about Sproul. What a sad level of self-flagellation.

JSTyler

@Mike Evans, can you recommend a good book that speaks of the abominations done by Calvin? I would like to add this to my reading list. I think we can learn so much by Church history because it does not just show theology, it shows how these followers actually WALKED!
You cannot go wrong with this one... https://davehunt.org/products/what-love-is-this-1

They offer the e-version for free even. David Hunt was out on the leading edge of the "battle" when the resurgence of extreme or "hyper" calvinism began to rise back in the 80's.

JSTyler

It's one of the sad and tragic pillars the five pointers stand upon, which they used to call "Perseverance of the Saints". The upshot is that the foundation of their soteriology upon which the rest of the pillars stand are set off balance by this one specifically, as it's one that teaches that there's no confidence to be had by the
"believer" in eternal security.

I know many wonderful Calvies personally. I find that pretty much all of them are very good at directing people's attention to Jesus Christ, in point of fact, Piper, MacArthur, Sproul, Pink and so many others do, too. There's no question in my mind that they love Jesus Christ and that we will serve alongside of them throughout eternity. I am always saddened however at the restrictions placed in the freedom Christ has won for us, the limitations their "equations" place upon God, His work and His Word and the consequential damage all of that does to new believers.

We have to love them back to the simple truth of the Gospel.

Eric Nicholas

It's one of the sad and tragic pillars the five pointers stand upon, which they used to call "Perseverance of the Saints". The upshot is that the foundation of their soteriology upon which the rest of the pillars stand are set off balance by this one specifically, as it's one that teaches that there's no confidence to be had by the
"believer" in eternal security.

I know many wonderful Calvies personally. I find that pretty much all of them are very good at directing people's attention to Jesus Christ, in point of fact, Piper, MacArthur, Sproul, Pink and so many others do, too. There's no question in my mind that they love Jesus Christ and that we will serve alongside of them throughout eternity. I am always saddened however at the restrictions placed in the freedom Christ has won for us, the limitations their "equations" place upon God, His work and His Word and the consequential damage all of that does to new believers.

We have to love them back to the simple truth of the Gospel.
Amen, brother. As much as I hate that professed aspect of the God they serve, I still hope that they are brothers. Besides some of that awful predestination and maybe a couple of other things, I like some of there sermons. I'd hate to think they are lost.