Is Jesus Who He Claimed To Be?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Is Jesus Who He Claimed To Be?
By Grant Phillips

First of all, who did Jesus claim to be? It is without argument that He claimed to be the second person of the triune Godhead; i.e., God the Son. In other words, He claimed to be God, by His actions and His very words.

In John 14:6-11 Jesus said, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him. Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” Jesus said to him, Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.”

If that isn’t strong enough for you, consider what Jesus says in John 10:27-30, “My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me. And I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; neither shall anyone snatch them out of My hand. My Father, who has given them to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch them out of My Father’s hand. I and My Father are one.” (emphasis mine)

In John 8:58 Jesus says, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

If you recall, when God told Moses that he was to go to Egypt and bring God’s people out of Egypt, Moses said, “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?” (Exodus 3:13)

Do you remember God’s reply to Moses in the very next two verses? “And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”Moreover God said to Moses, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: ‘The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.” (Exodus 3:14-15)

Jesus claimed equality with God in forgiving sins and raising the dead. He actually did raise the dead if you recall: Lazarus, the daughter of Jairus, and the son of the widow at Nain. By the way, these are the only three mentioned, but I personally feel there were probably many more. (John 21:25)

Jesus followers recognized Him as God and worshiped Him as God. Stephen called out His name while dying (Acts 7:59). The demon-possessed man in Mark 5, the Canaanite woman in Matthew 15, the ruler in Matthew 9, and James and John’s mother in Matthew 20 all worshiped Him, just to name a few.

These are only a few brief examples of Jesus definitely claiming to be the one and only God by His words and His actions. Is Jesus God? Is He now in Heaven as the Bridegroom preparing to return for His bride, the Church? All who have ever put their faith in Him knows He really is God. I know Jesus is God because He is my God, my Lord and my Savior. Millions of others can echo these same words today.

Jesus does not need me to defend Him. The only thing that can change a person’s thinking is to have a change of heart, and that can only come through coming to Jesus with a repentant heart and asking Him to save them.

That being said, I would like to provide something to think about for those who are “riding the fence,” so to speak.

There were over 300 prophecies (some say 375) that Jesus fulfilled in relation to His first coming when He paid our sins upon the cross of Calvary. Obviously, I cannot list that many and comment on them in a short article such as this. So, consider the few shown below if you please.

OLD TESTAMENT PROPHECIES FULFILLED BY JESUS:

Genesis 12:1-3, 7; 17:19; Numbers 24:17 (Galatians 3:15-18) prophecy that Jesus will be of the seed of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. This is fulfilled in Matthew 1:1-2.

Genesis 49:10 prophesies that Jesus will come from the tribe of Judah. Fulfilled in Luke 3:33.

Isaiah 9:6-7 says that Jesus will be heir to David’s throne. Fulfilled in Luke 1:32-33.

Micah 5:2 states that Jesus will be born in Bethlehem Ephrathah. Fulfilled in Luke 2:4, 5, 7.

Note: There were two towns named Bethlehem at that time. One was in the region of Judea (Bethlehem Ephrathah) and the other was to the north in the region occupied by the tribe of Zebulun. Matthew 2:1 and Luke 2:4, 5, 7 fulfill Micah 5:2 to the letter.

Daniel 9:25 prophesies the time of Jesus birth, and it is fulfilled in Luke 2:1-2 (a historical fact).

Isaiah 7:14 says that Jesus would be born of a virgin, and that is fulfilled in Luke 1:26-27, 30-31.

Hosea 11:1 tells of the flight to Egypt. Fulfilled in Matthew 2:14-15.

Zechariah 11:12 informs us that Jesus would be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver. Fulfilled in Matthew 26:14-15.

Psalm 34:20 says that Jesus would have no bones broken. John 19:32-33, 36 fulfills this prophecy.

After reading just these eleven prophecies out of over 300 that were prophesied, if Jesus was not God, how did they all come true? They all have been fulfilled to the letter because Jesus is exactly who He claimed to be. He is God. Think about the following questions.

Have you ever known anyone who could determine:

– Who would be included in his bloodline,

– Which tribe he would be born in,

– Which king’s throne he would sit on,

– Which locale he would be born in,

– When he would be born,

– That his mother would be a virgin (ever known anyone else born of a virgin?), and

– His parents’ flight to Egypt?

When Judas betrayed Jesus, he made that deal on his own [30 pieces of silver], and when Jesus was hanging on the cross, He was at the mercy of His executioners [no bones broken].

When Jesus came to earth the first time, He came to die for the sins of the world and offer eternal life to any who would believe upon Him. When He returns, He will be coming as Judge. If you have not put your faith in Him, now is the time to do so. It will be too late after He returns, or if death takes you to the grave beforehand.

If Jesus was not God, but just an ordinary man, there is absolutely no way he could have fulfilled the outcome of the prophecies I mentioned, much less all the other prophecies that are recorded of Him.

Also, ask yourself why would His followers die for a lie? His apostles and other followers died horrible deaths, except the apostle John. All they had to do was keep quiet and go back to fishing, or other trade, and they would not have suffered. Why didn’t they do that? Why did they choose to suffer and die for their belief in Jesus? It is because they all knew that Jesus was exactly who He claimed to be.

Jesus is God.

https://www.raptureforums.com/jesus/is-jesus-who-he-claimed-to-be/

Back