Is it necessary I attend a bible study with women I don't really enjoy being around?

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
They were just getting into it. so in-depth hasn’t come yet.
So I really don’t know if I would or not actually
Now you say that I wonder if He wants me to keep going to find out.
Angie, you've read the advice of several of us older women on this board. We all agreed that you need to leave the group and attend another one. The Community Bible study, evening class, sounds like a good place to land. You mentioned that it's coed, that's good, because of that, it will more likely have a balanced and appropriate social dynamic w/o cliques. Several years ago, I found myself in a BSF Bible study group that was not suitable for me, though cliques weren't the issue, location was. So, I was determined to find a different class. As it turned out, the new class was being held in a church building where I had attended many years earlier when our son was pastor there. It felt good to be in the building again. Angie, please don't feel like you have to 'push through' something that doesn't seem right for you. When God wants us to make a change in something, He will often stir up our eagle's nest so that we're uncomfortable and become willing to fly away.
(I read that many long years ago) Often, we discover that God has a better plan for us that He is yet to reveal.

crunchymama

Thank you, what is it about them you personally don't care for?
In my experience, I have found women's Bible studies to be pretty superficial and fluffy, not meat and potatoes. Women I think are less likely to be honest with their sins and struggles for various (and sometimes good) reasons, and therefore stick to "safe" issues. I also find it can get gossipy and clique-y over time. This is just my opinion and my experience, so no one throw tomatoes at me :lol :peek

athenasius

Angie, you've read the advice of several of us older women on this board. We all agreed that you need to leave the group and attend another one. The Community Bible study, evening class, sounds like a good place to land. You mentioned that it's coed, that's good, because of that, it will more likely have a balanced and appropriate social dynamic w/o cliques. Several years ago, I found myself in a BSF Bible study group that was not suitable for me, though cliques weren't the issue, location was. So, I was determined to find a different class. As it turned out, the new class was being held in a church building where I had attended many years earlier when our son was pastor there. It felt good to be in the building again. Angie, please don't feel like you have to 'push through' something that doesn't seem right for you. When God wants us to make a change in something, He will often stir up our eagle's nest so that we're uncomfortable and become willing to fly away.
(I read that many long years ago) Often, we discover that God has a better plan for us that He is yet to reveal.
I agree 100% with this.

Too often we act as if the saying "bloom where you're planted" came from the Bible. It doesn't. We have the freedom to move that God gives us. And He often does call us out of things so that we can go do things elsewhere that He calls us.

Like Elijah; called in 1 Kings 17 to live at the brook Cherith and be fed by ravens till the time God dried up his supplies and sent him to the widow at Zeraphath, which is over in southern Lebanon bordering northern Israel. She was about to die, and her son with her.

Her oil and the meal (grain) didn't fail, saving her life and the lives of her son and the whole household. Later he resurrected the boy who died.

This was over a period of 3 years as we learn in 1 Kings 18 when God instructs him to leave and go to meet Ahab and there is that wonderful encounter with the false prophets of Baal.

Each step of the way, (including running from Jezebel's threats into the wilderness after that) we see Elijah listening to God's voice, and moving where God says.

Paul's ministry is similar. If he had taken root in any of the churches he planted, his gigantic ministry to the church overall would have been lessened. Every step of the way for him was God ordained and results in blessing.

I say this not to push you into leaving but to consider that God may have a ministry for you to other people in that group you are going towards.

It's not enough to look at what we may yet learn in the place we are being led out of. Yes no doubt if we stay stuck, God will still be with us, teaching us till we are ready to obey and move on up into the ministry He has ahead of us.

But that focus is on what the church can do for us.

NOT on What we are called to do for the body of Christ around us. There is one church, one body with many parts. You aren't "leaving" the church to go to another so much as being moved by God from a ministry in one place, to another.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
You aren't "leaving" the church to go to another so much as being moved by God from a ministry in one place, to another.

Your post has described my own journey.

After about a year floating on my own, due to a situation that was becoming less edifying, God very distinctly called me to a different group in the body of Christ and then confirmed I was at the right place, to be used by Him in service. I wasn't necessarily looking for that but God did find a way to make this clear to me.

And, by the way, not all women's groups are gossipy or clickish. I know that's an issue for sure :sad but there are some good groups out there.

At any rate, yes Amethyst, God does lead us where He has plans and where He's working and it's good to be open to that. :)

heisable2

I feel guilty because of the verses that talk about coming together in 'sibling love.' And 'sacrificing' and 'serving' for the Lord.
We don't fight or anything, it's just not enjoyable on my end.
Versus talk about coming together...... Come together somewhere else just like one of the previous posts. You're unable to share the good news because you're being ignored. Ask the Lord where He wants you to be. He's waiting...... Let us know what you decided and where are you finally landed.

Sweetnsalty

So often I feel a lack of camaraderie with women but feel really comfortable within conversational groups of men. I say this not as a criticism of women but perhaps more of myself. It makes me feel so disconnected and a bit of an oddball.
This thread caught my eye because I feel sad about it
Going forward I plan to do studies with people I connect with. Feel I give so much to other people in my life and I don't want to continue to feel obligated to "get through" groups where after leaving I feel no more encouraged than when I started.

Carl

Not currently in my *radar* that is suitable for real bible study.
I just didnt know if it was un-Christlike to not desire to be involved with this one.
Tbh, sometimes I feel like if I don't like it then it's probably God's will that I push through it. Lol. But I know thats not always true.

And yea, I had to get over their exclusive closeness bothering me. I prayed about that months ago and now I just am not interested. :idunno And at the end of the day the last thing I want to talk about is how to make soap.or how to knit.No offense to anyone who likes that stuff!! :heh
Is it a Bible study or how to make soap? Sounds like the ladies rather talk about home tasks then getting closer to The Lord. How is Christ involved in their daily tasks? Is there a leader for the group?

Lord give this group some real spiritual topics to talk about. Something that really needs your insight to solve!

Bethlehem57

I feel guilty because of the verses that talk about coming together in 'sibling love.' And 'sacrificing' and 'serving' for the Lord.
We don't fight or anything, it's just not enjoyable on my end.
If you aren’t growing in your study, hanging out to please them, won’t be pleasing to God!

I just left a Bible Study like this and getting an assignment read, then meeting weekly to read over what we had read was awful! No discussion, no questions, nothing that helps others grow! Any type of conversation was hushed up in order to get through the reading because each lady could read through the bi in a year and get a certificate . But there was no studying, no discussion, no learning! I can do without the certificate! Sometimes I get so hungry for God’s Word I dig until I am full.

If you can’t find a local study, look at Blueletterbible.org, at the top under “Study” There are so many resources and verse by verse studies you’ll find yourself full!

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Yes
If you can’t find a local study, look at Blueletterbible.org, at the top under “Study” There are so many resources and verse by verse studies you’ll find yourself full!
BLB is great i use it all the time.

I think it’s beneficial to have an actual study to go to where to meet with fellow Christian’s who aren’t rushed after a sermon on Sunday mornings so thankfully this has been okay so far. I do wish there were a little more people between 25-40 but there are a few.