Is it necessary I attend a bible study with women I don't really enjoy being around?

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Kind of an odd question, I guess.
But I have been at a church plant (since 1 1/2 years ago) and the pastors wife and another [married] woman, and an older lady [who is much more comfortable to talk to] have been gathering for a bible study at pastors home weekly. They split off into men/women study.
I really don't have much to talk to them about (almost none of the same interests) and so naturally they talk to each other more. I dont enjoy my time, basically.
I tried at one point to develop a better camaraderie with two of the ladies my age, and it didn't work and I kind of swung the other way and became tired of trying at some point. Now I dont care because we are very different people anyway.

I know this is for bible study but i don't look forward to it at all. Naturally I would like one with people i DO have connection with but until then, does God frown on me not wanting to attend this one? Is it something I should just "get over" ?

Amethyst

Angie ... †
Agree, don't let the joy of studying the Bible be taken away all because you are finding it hard to get along, find a new Bible study group and find the joy in studying together as a group.
I feel guilty because of the verses that talk about coming together in 'sibling love.' And 'sacrificing' and 'serving' for the Lord.
We don't fight or anything, it's just not enjoyable on my end.

cheeky200386

I feel guilty because of the verses that talk about coming together in 'sibling love.' And 'sacrificing' and 'serving' for the Lord.
We don't fight or anything, it's just not enjoyable on my end.
I'm sorry to hear that. Are there other Bible studies you could attend or is that the only one?

I find it frustrating when I don't get along with sisters in Christ since you would think we automatically would. Yet, we're all different and it doesn't mean we all have to be best friends. That wouldn't be realistic anyways.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I'm sorry to hear that. Are there other Bible studies you could attend or is that the only one?
Not currently in my *radar* that is suitable for real bible study.
I just didnt know if it was un-Christlike to not desire to be involved with this one.
Tbh, sometimes I feel like if I don't like it then it's probably God's will that I push through it. Lol. But I know thats not always true.

And yea, I had to get over their exclusive closeness bothering me. I prayed about that months ago and now I just am not interested. :idunno And at the end of the day the last thing I want to talk about is how to make soap.or how to knit.No offense to anyone who likes that stuff!! :heh

Katie8758

I just didnt know if it was un-Christlike to not desire to be involved with this one.
Tbh, sometimes I feel like if I don't like it then it's probably God's will that I push through it. Lol. But I know thats not always true.

And yea, I had to get over their exclusive closeness bothering me. I prayed about that months ago and now I just am not interested. :idunno And at the end of the day the last thing I want to talk about is how to make soap.or how to knit.No offense to anyone who likes that stuff!! :heh
Go with your intuition. It is a tool that is used to help guide us. It is quite possible you are feeling uninterested in attending because you are meant to be elsewhere.

GotGrace

Kind of an odd question, I guess.
But I have been at a church plant (since 1 1/2 years ago) and the pastors wife and another [married] woman, and an older lady [who is much more comfortable to talk to] have been gathering for a bible study at pastors home weekly. They split off into men/women study.
I really don't have much to talk to them about (almost none of the same interests) and so naturally they talk to each other more. I dont enjoy my time, basically.
I tried at one point to develop a better camaraderie with two of the ladies my age, and it didn't work and I kind of swung the other way and became tired of trying at some point. Now I dont care because we are very different people anyway.

I know this is for bible study but i don't look forward to it at all. Naturally I would like one with people i DO have connection with but until then, does God frown on me not wanting to attend this one? Is it something I should just "get over" ?
Ya gotta get a different Bible study. God maybe making you uncomfortable to move you on.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Are there other Bible studies you could attend or is that the only one?
I agree. I'd look at Bible Study Fellowship online and see if there is a class for women that's not too far to drive. If that doesn't happen, look up other churches onlinr, and see what ministries they have for women. I found a great class by doing this. After first seeing the class offered at a particular church (not where I attended), I called the church office to see if anyone could attend or was it just for their own church members. They said come ahead. We're glad for you to come. Still good friends with the teacher of that class about seven years later.
PS: I think a good, well taught Bible study includes godly fellowship with other people we enjoy and see their Christ-like behavior. God isn't up in heaven taking names of His children when they disappoint Him. He knows that we long for Christian fellowship with those whose company we enjoy. Nothing wrong with your wanting to make friends, you're just swimming in the wrong fish bowl.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I have been attending Community Bible Study for the past 7 years, and I really like it. These meetings are all over the country, and in every state. You can look on their website to see if there is a meeting near you…
Yes they do I attended one for a year when I worked at night. :) it is great.
In my area it is convenient if you don’t work during the day.
I’ll look into the one in the evening , looks like it’s coed

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I wonder if it would be better to attend a coed group led by a Pastor. I often find women groups fall prey to gossip and superficiality. Men tend to be more real.
The night one is co-ed. [looking back over it looks like they do spilt off during actual study]
For some reason I thought they did away with the night one but apparently not

I used to go to church with a son of the couple who teach it. Interesting.

In the daytime one there were at least a few women who were definitely genuine.
But in these type of Bible studies you’re going to come across many different denominational differences. That can bother some people.

Last edited:

athenasius

Chiming in late but I totally agree with the above advice.

It's often God nudging us to move along to another place He has prepared for us to serve.

Elijah was doing fine at the brook Cherith. The brook had water in spite of the drought everywhere, the ravens brought him food, and it was good. Then God dried up the brook and things changed. It was time for Elijah to move forward in his ministry.

I always think of that when I get stuck in a dry place. Because it's usually God nudging me forward out of where He previously led me.

I think maybe you did what God wanted by getting past their exclusive cliquish behaviour. You did the work and it's time to move on. God no doubt is working on them too, perhaps in some areas only He is aware of. If you stay you might get in the way.

I don't think you are wrong to be movin' on! Cue the clip clop sounds of a horse trotting off into the distant sunset and sad cowboy music as you say fare thee well and part ways.

:hug

yeshua'sbride

♥ Standing with Israel

I agree with you moving on, because the fellowship is important too, but I wonder... If you take "the people stuff" out of the situation, do you get anything good out of the Bible study itself? If so, it might make you more able to overlook what's lacking in the fellowship part of it. ♥

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I agree with you moving on, because the fellowship is important too, but I wonder... If you take "the people stuff" out of the situation, do you get anything good out of the Bible study itself? If so, it might make you more able to overlook what's lacking in the fellowship part of it. ♥
They were just getting into it. so in-depth hasn’t come yet.
So I really don’t know if I would or not actually
Now you say that I wonder if He wants me to keep going to find out.