Is it Forum or My Computer???

Carl

For the last week or so when I first go to use the Smiles my computer locks up for about 5 or 10 minutes. Then it returns to normal and I can then use the Smiles.

Carl

I tried rebooting and it made no difference Chris. Is it my internet connection? I don't know. I have doen speed checks and I get about 16Mb down and 2.5 Mb up. But my computer has been getting slower and slower establishing an internet connection. Wonder if it is XP operating system. I have run malware bytes, Rouge Killer, Comodo anti virus, and run defrag. Nothing seems to speed it up. Have turned Comodo, and Malware bytes and Sygate fire wall off and doesn't seem to make any difference.
I keep getting invitations from Wowway to sign up for faster internet connection.

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I'm not sure Carl. You should be able to access the forums with those speeds. I sometimes have a problem with my computer in that everything including checking email takes forever. I will turn off the computer and restart and usually that will fix the problem. I don't know if it is my 6 year old desktop issue or what, but I tend to think it is my computer on it's last legs. How old is your computer?

JSTyler

I tried rebooting and it made no difference Chris. Is it my internet connection? I don't know. I have doen speed checks and I get about 16Mb down and 2.5 Mb up. But my computer has been getting slower and slower establishing an internet connection. Wonder if it is XP operating system. I have run malware bytes, Rouge Killer, Comodo anti virus, and run defrag. Nothing seems to speed it up. Have turned Comodo, and Malware bytes and Sygate fire wall off and doesn't seem to make any difference.
I keep getting invitations from Wowway to sign up for faster internet connection.
Yikes! It's more than likely this. Support for XP was ended in 2014. Even with firewalls, virus scanners...the whole works, your OS is a wide open target saying to the wide digital world "HERE I AM, COME AND GET ME!"

Your slowdowns could also be innocuous but I wouldn't rest easy on that assumption. You need to make a change to something more secure that's updated regularly.

Your only safe and sound solution is to install a new OS. This would mean that you'd have to learn to operate within something not entirely unfamiliar but still and all new. Think of it as navigating a new town, a bit strange at first but second nature in no time. I can recommend from personal experience a free and easy to use Linux based option. I was not a Linux user until fairly recently but can say from experience that the transition was easy and went smoothly. And now that I'm entirely out of the windows enclave, I'm not looking back.

If it's okay with @Chris and or @mattfivefour I'd be happy to put together a thread that points to sites and links that will walk you, (like me) through the process. If you have an 8-16 gig thumb/jump drive you could give it a test run without losing what you currently have. Now that's assuming that your PC is compatible, and most are.

Carl

Apparently Firefox's last update for XP is the culprit so it is now in :jail. Just trying Pale Moon and it works. So something in Firefox goes hunting when try to access the smiles.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Apparently Firefox's last update for XP is the culprit so it is now in :jail. Just trying Pale Moon and it works. So something in Firefox goes hunting when try to access the smiles.
That's great that you figured it out. Meanwhile, your computer is quite vulnerable these days with XP as the operating system.

Carl

I keep XP because it is the newest version of windows that my drafting program will work with. I tried windows 7 and it didn't work. Been thinking of seeing if it will work with the new version of Unix - -Linux or ebuntu. I think that both of them have a subroutine that allows windows programs.
My son has Windows 10 on a couple computers and I really struggle to find what I am looking for on it.

I have not had any trouble with hacking my computer. Wife's computer with windows 10 has been hacked a number of times. They charged $6,000 one time. Fortunately she caught it right away and the bank got the money back.