Is God giving new revelations today?

Psalm37v4

Hi there, I have a question in which the answer should be obvious, But it’s not to me. I basically want to know if God is giving new revelations today via “prophets.” I was under the impression he is not, for the canon of Scripture is closed and everything we need to know comes from the Bible. Which leads me to my other questions… Are there any “prophets“ today who are giving genuine prophecies or revelations in line with God‘s word? And isn’t it true that a true prophet must be 100% accurate?

I prefer to ask here because I believe the people here know their Bibles inside & out, and have sound doctrine or beliefs.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Because I've personally encountered too many false 'prophets' and grew up in a false 'prophet' oriented religious group, I personally steer clear of anyone claiming to be a prophet. And in our world of too many claiming they are a prophet but are false, I've decided to really source everything from God's word and then from trusted pastors, who in a sense would fill that role as they are faithfully preaching from God's Word.

However, we do know that in Acts there were those who prophesied in the Church, but this was well before the bible in it's totality was available, so there seemed to be a real need for this. Now we have God's full word and it really can be trusted for direction.

That being said, I don't discount that there may be those prophesying as truly led by God (perhaps in some extreme situations and as God has determined is best), but I have found personally, that as I ask God to open my mind in understanding to His Word or ask Him to help me with this or that question He is faithful to show me. Most often through His word. I believe He understands my extreme hesitancy and is gracious in using His word to direct....which really, in my humble opinion is a very dependable way to learn and seek His will.

And, when there are things that the bible may not directly address I pray for God's guidance and He's been faithful to bring information to me or just the right people to help, in a more natural way but in a way that answers my needs and that I know it was God behind it. :)

Here's an article by Jack Kelly on the subject you might find helpful:

https://gracethrufaith.com/ask-a-bible-teacher/prophets-of-today/

Q
I just read the three part article “Seven Things You Have To Know To Understand End Times” by Jack Kelley. I thought it was the best article I ever read explaining the end times.

I was wondering if you might consider writing an article on the role of the prophet in today’s church as described in Ephesians 4.
What is the role of the prophet in today’s church? How prevalent are they? How do we discern a false prophet from true prophet of God? How do we discern false, deceiving signs and wonders from the true miracles of God?

When I witness to people this comes up and I don’t have a good explanation. My only explanation is: If the prophecy or signs and wonders do not line up with scripture or if the prophet is not 100% right, then it is not from God.

A
The Lord Himself has answered your question. Here’s what He said.
A prophet who presumes to speak in my name anything I have not commanded him to say, or a prophet who speaks in the name of other gods, must be put to death.

You may say to yourselves, “How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD ?” If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him. (Deut. 18:20-22)

For a New Testament illustration, Hebrews 1:1-2 says that while in the past God spoke through the prophets at different times and in different ways, in these last days He has spoken through His Son. That tells us that everything God has to say to us has already been said by Jesus. Anything that a so-called prophet says today has to be consistent with what Jesus told us, and can only serve to explain it more fully.
I make it a practice to wait until I’ve heard the same prophetic message from two independent sources before considering that it might be from the Lord.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Oh, by the way, yes, the canon is closed.

That being said, I don't discount that there may be those prophesying as truly led by God (perhaps in some extreme situations and as God has determined is best),

What I mean by this is one who may have a word of knowledge from the Lord about a situation or person. but nothing adding to God's Word. I like how Jack says,

Anything that a so-called prophet says today has to be consistent with what Jesus told us, and can only serve to explain it more fully.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I make it a practice to wait until I’ve heard the same prophetic message from two independent sources before considering that it might be from the Lord.

In the above scenario, in the apostate church the false prophets could regurgitate what other false prophets are prophesying. In fact, that may be a common occurrence. In the old testament days false prophets did that exact thing.

Belle of Grace

Longing for Home
Three years ago, I turned down an appointment for orthopedic surgery from an outstanding medical center. I did not want to have the surgery that they knew would fix my problem. On the evening of that very same day, we were at Wednesday night service at church. For the first time, my joint began to be rather painful & I really wanted to go home. After church, I spoke with a friend who told me about a situation with her son. I shared with her about the phone call that day. She said, 'I think you should have the surgery.' On the way home from church, we made a quick stop at the grocery store. As I crossed the parking lot to enter the store, two very dear friends were coming out. I told them about the earlier phone call, too. They both agreed with one another that I should call them back and schedule the surgery. The next morning, we called and they had not filled the time slot offered to me the day before. I was wise enough to take it this time, after hearing from 3 other Christians. I'm glad I did, because the following spring, everything shut down due to Covid. God knew it was coming. I didn't. He convinced me through my friends to go ahead with the surgery. So very thankful I listened to Him through them. :pray

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
Three years ago, I turned down an appointment for orthopedic surgery from an outstanding medical center. I did not want to have the surgery that they knew would fix my problem. On the evening of that very same day, we were at Wednesday night service at church. For the first time, my joint began to be rather painful & I really wanted to go home. After church, I spoke with a friend who told me about a situation with her son. I shared with her about the phone call that day. She said, 'I think you should have the surgery.' On the way home from church, we made a quick stop at the grocery store. As I crossed the parking lot to enter the store, two very dear friends were coming out. I told them about the earlier phone call, too. They both agreed with one another that I should call them back and schedule the surgery. The next morning, we called and they had not filled the time slot offered to me the day before. I was wise enough to take it this time, after hearing from 3 other Christians. I'm glad I did, because the following spring, everything shut down due to Covid. God knew it was coming. I didn't. He convinced me through my friends to go ahead with the surgery. So very thankful I listened to Him through them. :pray

Great story! Yes, I think that Good often works this way. :nod

Flavius Sabinus

Romans 8:28 in action. So happy it worked out for the best.

RonJohnSilver

1 In the past God spoke to our ancestors through the prophets at many times and in various ways, 2 but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom also he made the universe. Heb. 1:1-2.

Note v1 ... "In the past"
v2 ... "...in these last days"

From these verses, my understanding is that after the end of the canon, there were no more 'prophets'. Certainly Godly men and women who taught Biblical truth, but no prophets in the biblical sense. All we need to know for salvation is what we already have ... Jesus and the Bible.

daygo

Hi there, I have a question in which the answer should be obvious, But it’s not to me. I basically want to know if God is giving new revelations today via “prophets.” I was under the impression he is not, for the canon of Scripture is closed and everything we need to know comes from the Bible. Which leads me to my other questions… Are there any “prophets“ today who are giving genuine prophecies or revelations in line with God‘s word? And isn’t it true that a true prophet must be 100% accurate?

I prefer to ask here because I believe the people here know their Bibles inside & out, and have sound doctrine or beliefs.
No don't think so, there's a difference between office of prophecy and the gift of prophecy, former has gone the latter is to do with encouragement.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I do wonder if perhaps the things the two witnesses or the 144,000 sealed evangelists during the tribulation say/write will be compiled. But that isn't during the church age.
I think about the *Books* mentioned in the Bible...Book of Life...
I think on the Bible itself.
It seems record keeping is acceptable and practiced.
Maybe one day we will have access to some of those records.
Honestly, if my entire life has been chronicled, I would be ashamed for others to read it...too much sin and shameful thoughts/actions. Maybe I won't be ashamed in Heaven????

Epieikes

Another huge giveaway is in the nature of message. For example, Hananiah in the book of Jeremiah kept prophesying to Judah "all will be well...no captivity." Well we all know what happened. Much like the NAR/Kingdom Now "prophets" yell, "America shall be saved!" People who follow them and assert, "I stand with the prophets" (i.e. deceptive "Elijah Streams", IMO) seem unaware that there are OTHER "prophetic voices" saying exactly the opposite...and as far as I can tell, are Biblically grounded and watching Bible prophecy unfold literally as the Second Coming unfolds... just as surely as the First Coming did.

Yahweh never intended for it to be complicated, but the heart is deceitful beyond all cure...also Jeremiah...17:9. ❤

mattfivefour

The Word of God --the Bible-- is our sole source of doctrinal knowledge of God and His will. Anything else they purports to reveal something new about those two subjects us a lie of Satan. That said, God can --and does-- occasionally speak into or individual lives to guide us ... just as others have recounted had happened to them. This is in full accord with His Word. God guides ministries in this way. And sometimes He gives words of warning to a nation through His ministers. But if they are speaking for God, every single thing they utter will be in full agreement with the Bible and will only be an opening up of it, not an addition to it. And that is an inviolable fact. If someone claims a new revelation or a new understanding, run away. They are not of God.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
The Word of God --the Bible-- is our sole source of doctrinal knowledge of God and His will. Anything else they purports to reveal something new about those two subjects us a lie of Satan. That said, God can --and does-- occasionally speak into or individual lives to guide us ... just as others have recounted had happened to them. This is in full accord with His Word. God guides ministries in this way. And sometimes He gives words of warning to a nation through His ministers. But if they are speaking for God, every single thing they utter will be in full agreement with the Bible and will only be an opening up of it, not an addition to it. And that is an inviolable fact. If someone claims a new revelation or a new understanding, run away. They are not of God.
I agree we are not to add or take away from the word :bible of God. There were people in the :bible who claimed to be prophets of God, but they were actually false prophets because what they said did not line up with the word :bible of God.