Is common sense a Biblical concept?

Ducati

"Common sense" is just that.....common sense. I think braking things down to much makes them more complicated. Its not a "Biblical" thing or not. Learned behavior is one thing and has nothing to do with common sense.
Some folk are just clueless in things that are just....common sense. Its not judging, its pointing out the obvious. I think people confuse opinions with common sense. Ones opinion can be very condescending and judgmental but common sense is just that...common sense.

Common sense says :
1. You don't walk over wet paint.
2. You don't eat dog poop.
3. Putting your hand in fire will burn you........etc.

:smack

mattfivefour

I think the answer to the question depends on what one's basis for common sense is. For the unregenerate (unsaved person) common sense can only be derived from what "feels natural or correct" and can be quite dangerous vs a saved person deriving their common sense from a spiritual/biblical perspective as Paul describes in Romans 8.

“For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. For the mind that is set on the flesh is hostile to God, for it does not submit to God’s law; indeed, it cannot. Those who are in the flesh cannot please God.”
‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:5-8‬
A very perceptive answer. Common sense indeed depends of what is logical according to your world view. A natural world view and a biblical world view are clearly not the same thing; so, common sense cannot be the same for those who hold to one or the other.

For example, for the unsaved hating your enemy is common sense. Refusing to allow yourself to be insulted or harmed is common sense. Arming yourself to prevent someone from taking what is yours is just common sense. Getting as much as you can for yourself when hard times are on the horizon is just common sense. In other words, looking out for yourself before others is common sense.

But for the truly saved, common sense is listening to God, seeking His wisdom in the Word, and asking Him to help them walk His way. Love your neighbor as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for her. Esteem others as better than yourself. Take no thought for your own welfare. Love and forgive your enemies. Pray for those who despitefully use you. Turn the other cheek. All of these run against common sense to those in the natural. But to us who are in the Spirit they are indeed common sense.

Batman

Just to go with all the great comments above and ask the question from this basic level.............is the term common sense really just the term for what commonly should/would be done by the common/typical person if in the shoes of the person needing to make a decision or action, etc.? We can't take polls on what is common sense or what is the common/typical decision or action that others would do b/c the term "others" is most assuredly loaded with many types of others that think in many diverse ways; especially in hedonistic reckless 2021.

J Dub

A very perceptive answer. Common sense indeed depends of what is logical according to your world view. A natural world view and a biblical world view are clearly not the same thing; so, common sense cannot be the same for those who hold to one or the other.

For example, for the unsaved using your enemy is common sense. Refusing to allow yourself to be insulted or harmed is common sense. Arming yourself to prevent someone from taking what is yours is just common seemed. Getting as much as you can for yourself when hard times are on the horizon is just common sense. In other words, looking out for yourself before others is common sense.

But for the truly saved, common sense is listening to God, seeking His wisdom in the Word, and asking Him to help them walk His way. Love your neighbor as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself for her. Esteem others as better than yourself. Take no thought for your own welfare. Love and forgive your enemies. Pray for those who despitefully use you. Turn the other cheek. All of these run against common sense to those in the natural. But to us who are in the Spirit they are indeed common sense.
I love your examples...you said it better than me lol.

anath

I Love the Lord
I don't know about y'all but my common sense and faith war against each other. I don't care a hill of beans about common sense. Never have had much anyway.
My faith tells me with God ALL things are possible. My common sense tells me to trust in myself.
the Bible tells me to trust in the Lord with all thy heart and lean not unto thine own understanding

Jojo4124

I think "common sense " the way the world uses it comes from whatever is common, or whatever is acceptable in the majority. In other words, if it's common to slap yourself in the face after you brush your teeth then it makes sense to slap your face after you brush your teeth because it's the common thing to do. Sounds ridiculous huh? No, I don't think common sense is biblical.

If someone is to tell you to use godly wisdom, then that is biblical. Using godly wisdom Always gets everything done right, always with a good outcome, because you are using wisdom coming from God.

There are far too many sayings that come from human concept, and look where humans are today. They still can't figure out how to not get sick, get old, and die. No common sense can give that answer. But godly wisdom on the other hand tells you that you can believe in Jesus and God has all of those things already remedied through His Son Jesus.

I'm sorry for your past hurts. Thanks be to God who heals our hearts and loves us more than enough to cover all of our hurts like the ones you had. You are a child of God and you are of great worth to Him, so much so that He gave His only begotten Son so that you may have every lasting life by just believing in Him.

The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will save; he will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing.
Zephaniah 3:17

I love you brother. You are in a loving family of believers who love one another in the same love Jesus loves us. He taught us this way of love and this is how we know we are His disciples if we love one another.
Ty Lovin Jesus! 'sept I'm a "sister" lol xo!

katt

Common sense...there are those with PHD's that don't have enough sense to come in out of the rain..there are those that can't function in the world unless they have someone there to tell them what to do and how to do it every minute of the day...my bible teacher once said these people do well in a regimented type environment such as the military.... some literally cannot walk...talk and chew gum at the same time..some of us are good at managing things but couldn't tell you where North is if they have a compass in their hand..that would be me by the way..unless I see a sigh or the sun is in my face or at my back I couldn't tell you which way I was going if my life depended on it..so..maybe..just maybe.. common sense means one is smart in some areas..but not others...

Back