Is Babylon once again rising from the ashes?

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
I came across this article just now about Babylon. It seems were just talking about Babylon here not long ago. If they start making major strides in Babylon that will just be another sign that the time is at hand. :thumbup

----------------------------------------------------------

Is Babylon once again rising from the ashes?
First-person: There is growing evidence the Iraqi government is serious about rebuilding this ancient wonder of the world.
By JOEL C. ROSENBERG / ALL ISRAEL NEWS
Published: FEBRUARY 16, 2022

A fascinating story is being written in the shifting sands of Arabia.

A story that will confound atheists and agnostics.

And should thrill Jews and Christians.

Yet few are paying attention.

In 2006, I wrote my first non-fiction book, “Epicenter,” in which I explained that according to Bible prophecy, the ancient and long-forgotten city of Babylon will one day be literally rebuilt.

I also explained that the once-so-powerful nation of Babylon — the country which we now call Iraq — will one day rise to become the most wealthy and powerful nation in the world, according to Old and New Testament prophets and apostles.

Few believed me at the time. Fewer still cared.

But things are changing and it’s time for an update.

SKEPTICS AND CYNICS ABOUND

I should acknowledge up front that those who reject the teachings of the Bible understandably have a difficult time imagining a season of peace and prosperity emerging in Iraq.

They certainly have long had a difficult time imagining the rebuilding of the ancient Iraqi city of Babylon, at least on the scale described in the Left Behind novels about the end times written by Evangelicals Tim LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins, which sold more than 60 million books in the 1990s - or any of my novels or non-fiction books.

Kevin Phillips, the best-selling author and former Republican strategist, was one such skeptic.

“Evil Babylon, the antithesis of Jerusalem, the good city, prompted its own literature in the 1990s, and [Tim] LaHaye’s tens of millions of readers praised his series as making the Bible and its supposed predictions ‘come alive,’” sniped Phillips in his own 2006 book, American Theocracy, in which he mocked “prophecy believers” who accept the biblical view that Babylon will one day actually be rebuilt “on its ancient ruins.”

Slowly but surely, we are seeing the Bible prophecies regarding Babylon come to pass.

True, neither the city nor the country is what they will one day be.

Nevertheless, top Iraqi officials are determined to rebuild both, even though as Muslims they don’t believe in the Bible, or know much about the prophecies it contains.

Indeed, as I was doing research for “Epicenter,” I interviewed then-Iraqi Finance Minister Ali Abdul-Amir Allawi.

He told me he absolutely loved the idea of rebuilding Babylon.

“Cultural, religious, archeological, and biblical tourism is a big opportunity for Iraq,” Allawi told me.

“I think rebuilding Babylon is a wonderful idea, as long as it is not done at the expense of the antiquities themselves.”

He even added that “a theme park” built near Babylon to draw more tourists would be a good idea, “as long as it’s done outside of Babylon, away from the archeological sites.”

Still, since the publication of “Epicenter” 16 years ago, the skeptics and cynics certainly seem to have had the upper hand.

Iraq has been a basket case.

War. Terrorist insurgencies. ISIS-led genocide. Crumbling infrastructure. High poverty. And these are just a few of the nation’s myriad of troubles.

No wonder so many Iraqis fled to other Arab countries, to Europe, and even to the United States, if they could.

If this weren’t bad enough, record low oil prices in recent years – as low as $20 a barrel in 2020 — severely hampered any chance at a true and lasting recovery.

“Over the last decade, oil revenues have accounted for more than 99% of [Iraq’s] exports, 85% of the government’s budget, and 42% of GDP,” according to the World Bank.

So, terribly low oil revenues – along with COVID-related lockdowns and travel restrictions – flatlined economic growth and caused unemployment to spike.

A CHANGE IN THE WIND

Suddenly, however, we are seeing a change in the wind.

With the war and insurgencies finally finished, and the ISIS caliphate destroyed, Iraq is finally turning itself around.

With 148 billion barrels of proven oil reserves, Iraq is now the fifth largest producer of oil in the world.

And oil prices are now skyrocketing, hitting $90 a barrel this month for the first time since 2014.

Should the trend continue, and security continue to improve, Iraq will be awash with petrodollars. Growth will surge. Unemployment will plummet. And Iraq will become vastly more attractive for investors and even for tourists.

Now Iraqi officials are hoping to get back to the ambitious construction and investment plans they were hoping to pursue soon after the country was liberated from Saddam Hussein in the spring of 2003, and rebuilding Babylon is one of their most intriguing priorities.

WILL BABYLON REALLY RISE AGAIN?

Once the wealthiest and most powerful cities in the world — indeed, a wonder of the ancient world – Babylon’s empire was defeated by the Persian monarch, Cyrus the Great, in 539 B.C.

Later, the Persian empire was defeated by Alexander the Great and the Greeks ruled the earth. Then came the Romans.

Along the way, Middle East trade routes shifted, and Babylon and its glorious history was abandoned and forgotten.

Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s, however, Saddam Hussein ordered his archaeologists and engineers to begin excavating and rebuilding the city once home to the much-feared King Nebuchadnezzar, who took over most of the known world in his day, conquered Jerusalem, destroyed the nation of Judah, and enslaved the vast majority of Jews in the world at that time.

Indeed, they began rebuilding the famed Ishtar Gates and the city’s walls, as well as restore the city walls and some of its buildings.

During the eight-year-long war between Iraq and Iran, however, all such work ground to a halt.

MAKING THE NEW BABYLON “A SHOWCASE” OF THE NEW IRAQ

Since the liberation of Iraq in 2003, however, a great deal has happened.

On April 18, 2006, the New York Times reported in a front-page story that “Babylon, the mud-brick city with the million-dollar name, has paid the price of war. It has been ransacked, looted, torn up, paved over, neglected and roughly occupied... But Iraqi leaders and United Nations officials are not giving up on it. They are working assiduously to restore Babylon, home to one of the Seven Wonders of the World, and turn it into a cultural center and possibly even an Iraqi theme park.”

“The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization is pumping millions of dollars into protecting and restoring Babylon and a handful of other ancient ruins in Iraq,” noted correspondent Jeffrey Gettleman. “UNESCO has even printed up a snazzy brochure, with Babylon listed as the premier destination, to hand out to wealthy donors.”

“Cultural tourism could become Iraq’s second biggest industry, after oil,” said Philippe Delanghe, a United Nations official helping with the project.

“One day millions of people will visit Babylon,” said Donny George, head of Iraq’s Board of Antiquities. “I’m just not sure anybody knows when.”

In April 2009, I reported that “the government of Iraq is moving forward with plans to protect the archaeological remains of the ancient City of Babylon, in preparation for building a modern city of Babylon. The project, originally started by the late Saddam Hussein, is aimed eventually at attracting scores of ‘cultural tourists’ from all over the world to see the glories of Mesopotamia’s most famous city. What’s more, the Obama Administration is contributing $700,000 towards ‘The Future of Babylon Project,’ through the State Department’s budget.”

In January 2011, I shared with my readers an intriguing article published by the New York Times “about Iraq’s latest efforts to preserve, protect, restore and then rebuild the ancient city of Babylon and make it a draw for tourists, with U.S. taxpayer assistance.”

“The Babylon project is Iraq’s biggest and most ambitious by far, a reflection of the ancient city’s fame and its resonance in Iraq’s modern political and cultural heritage,” the Times reported, noting that the State Department had announced “a new $2 million grant to begin work to preserve the site’s most impressive surviving ruins. They include the foundation of the Ishtar Gate, built in the sixth century B.C. by Nebuchadnezzar’s father, Nabopolassar, and adorned with brick reliefs of the Babylonian gods Marduk and Adad.”

By July 2019, so much progress had been made that Babylon was named a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Last fall, the “Babylon International Festival” was held again for the first time in two decades.

The goal: To “relaunch art, culture and even the economy of Iraq” by making Babylon “a showcase” of a new Iraq, a must-see tourist attraction for visitors from all over the world, said one participant.

In February 2021, National Public Radio reported on the state of tourism in Babylon.

“Since Babylon reopened in 2009, tourist numbers have fluctuated,” said Alice Fordham. “The local tourist board says the best recent year for Iraqi tourists was 2017, when more than 35,000 visited. This winter — normally peak season because of the cool weather — the pandemic affected the numbers and about 10,000 came. The year before, many stayed away for fear of being caught up in violence at demonstrations in nearby cities.”

“But some local investors believe in the promise of domestic tourism in places like this that have long been under-visited,” she added. “Several tours now run from Baghdad to the scenic marshlands of the south — which some scholars say may have been the biblical Garden of Eden — where sleek buffalo swim through grasses and people live on islands. Tourism has been growing there gradually, as security has improved and hotels have opened.”

Just this month, an Arab newspaper reported that the Iraqi government is going to convert “a palace overlooking the UNESCO World Heritage site [in Babylon] into a museum.”

WHAT DO YOU BELIEVE ABOUT THE FUTURE OF BABYLON?

So, should we believe the Hebrew prophets such as Ezekiel, Isaiah, Jeremiah and Daniel that Babylon will really rise again in the last days?

I say yes.

How about you?

https://www.jpost.com/christianworld/article-696640

athenasius

So, should we believe the Hebrew prophets such as Ezekiel, Isaiah, Jeremiah and Daniel that Babylon will really rise again in the last days?

I say yes.

How about you?
Yes absolutely. Andy Woods and many others make that case for Babylon being Babylon and it's a good one.

Looking at Zechariah 5:5-11 it is very specific to a very specific place

The Woman in a Basket​

5 Then the angel who was speaking to me came forward and said to me, “Look up and see what is appearing.”

6 I asked, “What is it?”
He replied, “It is a basket.” And he added, “This is the iniquity of the people throughout the land.”

7 Then the cover of lead was raised, and there in the basket sat a woman! 8 He said, “This is wickedness,” and he pushed her back into the basket and pushed its lead cover down on it.

9 Then I looked up—and there before me were two women, with the wind in their wings! They had wings like those of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between heaven and earth.

10 “Where are they taking the basket?” I asked the angel who was speaking to me.

11 He replied, “To the country of Babylonia to build a house for it. When the house is ready, the basket will be set there in its place.”

Add in the fact that the prophecies of Babylon's fall have never been completely fulfilled.

And Isaiah 13:20 has a VERY specific prophecy about Babylon that in it's context is placed squarely in the End Times. Andy and others have enjoyed posting pictures of Arabs in their tents on the site, and grazing their sheep across it.

20 It will never be inhabited,
Nor will it be settled from generation to generation;
Nor will the Arabian pitch tents there,
Nor will the shepherds make their sheepfolds there.

Since the Bible doesn't lie, that passage means that the full message of the fall of Babylon is yet future.

And again, Isaiah is referring a specific geographical place.

Batman

I believe the City of Babylon is the literal City of Babylon, which is going to be quite a spectacle for the world (especially believers) to witness it's quick reconstruction and massive launch to the top of places to be and and to be an influence on the world. Every New Years Day (and throughout the year many times) I contemplate if the city building projects will be started.

This and the AoC and the next temple are huge things to watch for and be excited about, but none have to be started/done/found before the rapture. Same for Gog/Magog.

athenasius

I read a really interesting article in which the author has a very interesting take on how things happen just after the Rapture to enable a return to the Middle East, both Israel and Babylon.

His idea, and I've heard this before, but can't locate where else I've read it, is that once we go up, and whenever after that the Tribulation starts, something dreadful happens to 1/4 of the earth brought on by the Seal Judgments in the early part of the Tribulation period.

So far we all know this, it's in Scripture. However it's the way it's looked at that is different, and I know I've read this somewhere else too, but can't remember where.

Which parts of the Earth to make up the 1/4 of the Earth, is it the general population ALL over the globe or is the damage limited to one part that equals 1/4?

That is where it gets fascinating. I'd encourage everyone interested to go read his article in it's entirety. Meanwhile

Here's the quote that I'm interested in:

"Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, and Australia make up statistically one-fourth of the earth’s surface:
World Land Mass – 57,510,000 square miles – divided by 4 = 14,377,500
Canada – 3,855,101
U.S.A – 3,618,783
Mexico – 758,449
Brazil – 3,287,955
Australia – 2,969,906
Total – 14,490,194 – That is incredibly close to ¼ of the earth’s surface (14,377,500). Especially when adding in the remaining inhabitable islands of the earth.
"

The author asks the question WHAT IF

What if, as the first FOUR Seal Judgments are taking place, the 1/4 of the earth affected is these areas,

forcing a mass migration back to Europe and the Middle East where everything began.

I'll just put Revelation 6: 6-8 in here which is the passage this author is contemplating

6 I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, “Come!” 2 I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.
3 When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come!” 4 Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make people kill each other. To him was given a large sword.
5 When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6 Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!”
7 When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!” 8 I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

--- I'll put one last quote here:

"Notice this passage does not say one-fourth of the population. Instead, it says, “the fourth part of the earth.” Ironically, the destruction of this part of the earth would have the effect of forcing the focus of world events back to the Middle East and for those who love this world, back to Babylon, the new seat of government, commerce, and religion.

With these things in mind, it is clear to see how the narrative would shift from Western-centric to Middle Eastern-centric. If ‘Death’ visits the aforementioned countries in the magnitude mentioned, they would become inconsequential to the last days narrative. One could even envision the complete annihilation of all inhabitants of these countries. This, however, would not affect the scenarios depicted in the book of Revelation in the least, as none of these countries are mentioned. In fact, this actually clears up many questions posed by theologians about the players involved or, perhaps better said, not involved in the last moments of history.
"

MapleLeaf

Hmmm, that's interesting. Glad I won't be here for it because I would never be able to afford to flee and I can't swim that far.

I have usually avoided the Mystery Babylon debates. I just know it's not the States. I am not overly worried but it is neat seeing the idea of Babylon being rebuilt. It makes things easier to understand if it's more literal. I do think there is the spiritual aspect of there being a Political Beast System and a Religious Beast System and the Political Beast System eventually devours the Religious when the AC demands worship for himself.

Hidden

Interesting but at moment doesn't make sense. Bear it in mind though.

True, daygo. I still can't put two and two together to be honest. But it will be revealed at the right time.

What we see now is the stirring of nations and people clamoring for more governmental control even at a planetary level. Soon the situation will evolve into something very specific with the reemergence of Mystery Babylon which has its roots in Genesis 11.

crunchymama

I read a really interesting article in which the author has a very interesting take on how things happen just after the Rapture to enable a return to the Middle East, both Israel and Babylon.

His idea, and I've heard this before, but can't locate where else I've read it, is that once we go up, and whenever after that the Tribulation starts, something dreadful happens to 1/4 of the earth brought on by the Seal Judgments in the early part of the Tribulation period.

So far we all know this, it's in Scripture. However it's the way it's looked at that is different, and I know I've read this somewhere else too, but can't remember where.

Which parts of the Earth to make up the 1/4 of the Earth, is it the general population ALL over the globe or is the damage limited to one part that equals 1/4?

That is where it gets fascinating. I'd encourage everyone interested to go read his article in it's entirety. Meanwhile

"Canada, the United States, Mexico, Brazil, and Australia make up statistically one-fourth of the earth’s surface:
Canada – 3,855,101
U.S.A – 3,618,783
Mexico – 758,449
Brazil – 3,287,955
Australia – 2,969,906
Total – 14,490,194 – That is incredibly close to ¼ of the earth’s surface (14,377,500). Especially when adding in the remaining inhabitable islands of the earth.
"

What if, as the first FOUR Seal Judgments are taking place, the 1/4 of the earth affected is these areas,

forcing a mass migration back to Europe and the Middle East where everything began.

I'll just put Revelation 6: 6-8 in here which is the passage this author is contemplating

6 I watched as the Lamb opened the first of the seven seals. Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, “Come!” 2 I looked, and there before me was a white horse! Its rider held a bow, and he was given a crown, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.
3 When the Lamb opened the second seal, I heard the second living creature say, “Come!” 4 Then another horse came out, a fiery red one. Its rider was given power to take peace from the earth and to make people kill each other. To him was given a large sword.
5 When the Lamb opened the third seal, I heard the third living creature say, “Come!” I looked, and there before me was a black horse! Its rider was holding a pair of scales in his hand. 6 Then I heard what sounded like a voice among the four living creatures, saying, “Two pounds of wheat for a day’s wages, and six pounds of barley for a day’s wages, and do not damage the oil and the wine!”
7 When the Lamb opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, “Come!” 8 I looked, and there before me was a pale horse! Its rider was named Death, and Hades was following close behind him. They were given power over a fourth of the earth to kill by sword, famine and plague, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

"Notice this passage does not say one-fourth of the population. Instead, it says, “the fourth part of the earth.” Ironically, the destruction of this part of the earth would have the effect of forcing the focus of world events back to the Middle East and for those who love this world, back to Babylon, the new seat of government, commerce, and religion.

With these things in mind, it is clear to see how the narrative would shift from Western-centric to Middle Eastern-centric. If ‘Death’ visits the aforementioned countries in the magnitude mentioned, they would become inconsequential to the last days narrative. One could even envision the complete annihilation of all inhabitants of these countries. This, however, would not affect the scenarios depicted in the book of Revelation in the least, as none of these countries are mentioned. In fact, this actually clears up many questions posed by theologians about the players involved or, perhaps better said, not involved in the last moments of history.
"
I concur. It makes a lot of sense. Another thing that I have pondered is the calendars. Most of the West/Europe uses a 365-day calendar. but events on Revelation use a 360-day calendar. This theory accounts for that, as well.

Hidden

Canada – 3,855,101
U.S.A – 3,618,783
Mexico – 758,449
Brazil – 3,287,955
Australia – 2,969,906
"

"

That is a plausible scenario. It could explain why Revelation 13:8 says that "and ALL who dwell on earth will worship it", speaking of the image of the beast. At this point, many will have been martyred during the seals and will form the great multitude of Revelation 7. Majority of those that remain will be under the spell of the FP and the AC. Only a handful will resist the AC and Babylon.

With all the tectonic shifting going on such as the Ez. 39 earthquake, the seal earthquake, and the trumpet earthquake there will be massive changes geographically and politically and once again the Middle East is probably going to be the hub of prophetic happenings.

biblegirl

I have always believed that end time events will be centered on the original two cities of Jerusalem and Babylon (Jerusalem being God's city, and Babylon representing the seat of Satan). I do believe that the Luciferian occult was transferred to Rome, but that the Bible clearly teaches the return of that religion to Babylon (see Zecharia 5:5-11). There are still a few parts of prophecy that confuse the issue a bit for me. The Babylon in Revelation is spoken of as having ships in water nearby. That does not sound like current day Babylon. I live near Houston, however, which is many miles from the Gulf of Mexico. In the 1800's, people would have laughed at the idea that Houston would become a major port city, but in the early 1900s, Houston actually created a 50 mile complex of channels and facilities and has become one of the largest ports in the U.S. It may be that something similar could happen in the area of Babylon. Either way, it just makes sense to me that God is returning the focus of the world to the nation of Israel, and the places that persecuted Israel in Biblical days. .I believe that the America's and Australia were meant to be prominent during the latter times of the Gentiles, but that the mid-east and Europe (as the Roman Empire) will rise again to prominence when the final week of the Jewish people begins. It's as if God paused His judgements on the nations that persecuted Israel during Biblical times, and will bring them up again during the Tribulation to complete the judgements on those nations at the end of days.

cheeky200386

Canada – 3,855,101
U.S.A – 3,618,783
Mexico – 758,449
Brazil – 3,287,955
Australia – 2,969,906
"

"
:shocked