Is anyone stocking up? And some thoughts.

PhilR

I like those, I have owned some nice older Belgium made O/U Browning shotguns and newer models
My nephew has a Beretta 28ga semi auto it's super light he does all his hunting with it, even duck/goose, I have disc loss in my neck/back so went from 12ga Benelli Montefeltro 28" barrel to a Browning Silver Hunter 20ga 26" barrel, I take as many Canadian Geese as the guys shooting 12ga. 3.5" shells ,my shoulder doesn't hurt and it's a great light Quail/Pheasant gun which is it's primary use. Our whole family are hunters ,also did/do competitive shooting sports and used to gun in field trials with Springer Spaniels, we have always bought most of our ammo by the case because when shooting clays or shooting over dogs in training you go through quite a few rounds, also reloaded a case a week or more at times. Glad I was born into an outdoorsy family, I thank God all the time for all the good times/things I have experienced.
There has been a revolution in shotgun shell shot loads in recent years. TSS tungston steel shot is completely changing the old dogma of the bigger the guage, and more shot and larger shot, and longer shells...and so on..yada yada. Premium TSS ammo even in 28 ga and .410 ga with like 8 1/2 to 9 1/2 size shot give deadly tight patterns for turkey and geese. Tungston shot is changing shotgun ammo like the switch from black powder to smokeless powder in the 19th Century. But, I have found that to get Tungston shot shells I will have to order them online. Various brands of TSS shells are available like Ninga and APEX brands, but for some reason the ammo giant Federal offers TSS shells in 12 ga and 20 ga, but not in 28 ga.

Also, I recently handled a brand new series Browning A-5 at a gun shop and it's a beautiful gun! Wow, IMO, the Browning A 5's are the greatest shotguns ever made. This one was a "sweet sixteen" and I was surprised how light and well balanced it felt, and it came with 3 choke tubes, vent rib, all for about $1,400. new. But my wife would have a fit if I bought it! I think I'll wait and see how much my tax refund will be and maybe I'll just buy a new Browning A 5, but in like a 20 ga or 28 ga. instead of a 16 ga. "sweet sixteen."

Last edited:

athenasius

What is the saying???.....
Your lack of preparation does not constitute an emergency for me.
(Not necessarily about collecting food , just life in general).
The unit clerk on one of the hospital wards I worked on had a sign up saying that and she pointed it out to people who tried to push her into fixing their messes. Used to make me laugh. She had very good boundaries and limits. She was a delight to work with actually.

PhilR

As a Brit is is so strange hearing everyone talk of guns and amo.
I would buy one though if I could.
Would NEVER have entertained the thought before this last year.
Pardon my asking, but are you not allowed to own any type of guns, such as shotguns for hunting in the UK? My understanding is that in the UK you can own like a shotgun, but you must keep it at a place you target shoot or hunt.

Last edited:

athenasius

I thought I'd toss in a link to a thread started back in 2015 by @BeautyForAshes that was started in the ladies section, but the subject matter and the thread is open to gentlemen too, with a lot of good discussions that go way back in time here on RF on the subject of prepping as some call it. I call it the Pantry Principle but it's all about stocking the home to last out a storm whether natural or manmade, weather or plague.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/any-preppers-out-there.107631/

Tomorrow George and I are headed out to Costco for early opening seniors. I'm planning on stocking up on dishwasher liquid-- my stock is now down to one spare plus the open one, so I want 2 or maybe 3 if they are on sale.

Speaking of which, they are much cheaper than those pod things. A small squirt does a light load which I do nightly so that in the morning we unload and I can shove dirty dishes into it all day long, keeping my kitchen clean and tidy.

But everyone now uses the pods and I know I get more loads out of a jug of liquid than comes in a bucket of pods. My daughter in law and daughter both avoid doing the dishwasher till it is jammed to the gunnels and then they tell me that they don't waste a pod that way. The cost of the pods -- that makes sense. But then they are always scrambling to unload that thing before the next meal so they can start loading again.

Best of all was the dishwasher powder detergent but that seems to have disappeared for good. That was even cheaper and I think the boxes were more environmentally friendly than jugs of liquid.

Things that puzzle me.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
I thought I'd toss in a link to a thread started back in 2015 by @BeautyForAshes that was started in the ladies section, but the subject matter and the thread is open to gentlemen too, with a lot of good discussions that go way back in time here on RF on the subject of prepping as some call it. I call it the Pantry Principle but it's all about stocking the home to last out a storm whether natural or manmade, weather or plague.

https://www.raptureforums.com/forums/threads/any-preppers-out-there.107631/

Tomorrow George and I are headed out to Costco for early opening seniors. I'm planning on stocking up on dishwasher liquid-- my stock is now down to one spare plus the open one, so I want 2 or maybe 3 if they are on sale.

Speaking of which, they are much cheaper than those pod things. A small squirt does a light load which I do nightly so that in the morning we unload and I can shove dirty dishes into it all day long, keeping my kitchen clean and tidy.

But everyone now uses the pods and I know I get more loads out of a jug of liquid than comes in a bucket of pods. My daughter in law and daughter both avoid doing the dishwasher till it is jammed to the gunnels and then they tell me that they don't waste a pod that way. The cost of the pods -- that makes sense. But then they are always scrambling to unload that thing before the next meal so they can start loading again.

Best of all was the dishwasher powder detergent but that seems to have disappeared for good. That was even cheaper and I think the boxes were more environmentally friendly than jugs of liquid.

Things that puzzle me.

There are recipes online for make-your-own dishwasher detergent (dry or liquid)

I think the Sunlight liquid (cheap) does the best job of anything other than hand washing then sanitizing in the DW. Unfortunately, haven't seen any of the Sunlight in a very long time :frown

I run the DW at night after Dad's done watching TV. Mostly self-defense cuz he'll turn the TV up even louder than he already has it screaming :eek DW can be unloaded in the a.m., but I don't want Dad trying to load it, cuz I'd have to unload and reload over and over and over and over and . . . I don't even like him unloading because stuff doesn't go where it's supposed to :mad

PhilR

I like those, I have owned some nice older Belgium made O/U Browning shotguns and newer models
My nephew has a Beretta 28ga semi auto it's super light he does all his hunting with it, even duck/goose, I have disc loss in my neck/back so went from 12ga Benelli Montefeltro 28" barrel to a Browning Silver Hunter 20ga 26" barrel, I take as many Canadian Geese as the guys shooting 12ga. 3.5" shells ,my shoulder doesn't hurt and it's a great light Quail/Pheasant gun which is it's primary use. Our whole family are hunters ,also did/do competitive shooting sports and used to gun in field trials with Springer Spaniels, we have always bought most of our ammo by the case because when shooting clays or shooting over dogs in training you go through quite a few rounds, also reloaded a case a week or more at times. Glad I was born into an outdoorsy family, I thank God all the time for all the good times/things I have experienced.
My dad was not actually a hunter. We used to take his Remington 22 caliber pump out and shoot at tin cans when I was a kid. I think he did it just to spend time with me and teach me to shoot, and gun safety. I think partly because he fought in the Pacific in WWII that he just was not into hunting, so we really never went hunting. He mostly liked to fish for Bluegills and we caught lots of them. But he didn't like using a boat and we would always fish from the bank. So, I actually started hunting on my own when I was in my mid 20's in the 1970's.

Kerbluey

My dad was not actually a hunter. We used to take his Remington 22 caliber pump out and shoot at tin cans when I was a kid. I think he did it just to spend time with me and teach me to shoot, and gun safety. I think partly because he fought in the Pacific in WWII that he just was not into hunting, so we really never went hunting. He mostly liked to fish for Bluegills and we caught lots of them. But he didn't like using a boat and we would always fish from the bank. So, I actually started hunting on my own when I was in my mid 20's in the 1070's.

Did you use cane poles? I spent many a childhood hour standing on a bank with a cane pole in hand.

PhilR

Did you use cane poles? I spent many a childhood hour standing on a bank with a cane pole in hand.
Yes, at first we did use cane poles and bobbers and hooked on night crawlers-- lots of fun. But later we used spinning and spin-cast rods and reals.

A little bit about me. I am 73, retired from AT&T/Alcatel Lucent Tech. since 2003. I have a variety of interests besides hunting and fishing. I have a couple of telescopes and I do amateur astronomy. I will take trips, long and short, and stay at like a cabin or camp out at places with dark skies where you can really see the stars and Milky Way. I will view Planets, the Moon and comets, but mostly I like to use my telescope to view what are called deep sky objects which consist of hundreds of galaxies beyond our Milky Way, and also globular and open star clusters, and nebulas which are diffuse star forming gas clouds. I have been doing this hobby since the 1980's. This is actully a form of hunting and exploration, except the quarry is not game or fish, but instead the quarry are objects in the vastness of the night sky. So, being retired, I try to keep myself busy with a variety of pursuits. But my most important pursuit is not a hobby; it is a commission; to share the gospel of our salvation.

Last edited:

PhilR

I’m not sure men are genetically capable of loading a dishwasher efficiently! I get the biggest kick out of all 5 dishes me husband manages to get in the dishwasher......
What I am bad about is, I will just take like my washed and dried socks and underwear and just toss them unfolded into a drawer, But my wife will always neatly fold each of her clothes and carefully arrange them in her drawer.

chaser

Praising my Savior all the day long!
Yes, at first we did use cane poles and bobbers and hooked on night crawlers-- lots of fun. But later we used spinning and spin-cast rods and reals.
Grandpa used to take me every weekend to the river to fish with set lines on the bank for catfish when I was about 7 years old and the water would be cold, too cold to wade in, but when the water warmed late spring early summer we fished set lines on willows we placed by wading out in the river and worked the willow deep into the sand while being waist deep in water/current, quite fun. The area we fished was a State Rec Area, river access and about a dozen sand pits, we fished cane poles and he had a spot where water flowed from one lake to the next . There was a deep hole where the water flowed through a culvert dumping into the next lake and at night catfish would gather in that deep hole. We would catch the catfish on heavy duty cane poles on a weighted line and a small sand toad or frog, was such riot, smaller ones easy to catch and swing to shore but the bigger ones would take some finesse and time to get them close to a landing net. My first rod and reel was a True Temper glass bait casting rod with a Pflueger direct drive bait casting reel filled with 15lb test Dacron braided line, the reel had no drag so you would have to thumb the spool when playing out a fish, and to control the reel spool when casting. Very fond memories of my childhood. I got to hunt and fish with grandpa Bud until he had a stroke when I was 14 and he passed away. I continued fishing that river with childhood friends until right after High School at which time the Corp of Engineers decided to change the flow of the river and it's channel, when they got done you could walk all the way across it, it was only knee to barely waist deep, no more deep water holes of 8' or more from that time on I fished lakes. I used the knowledge gained from that time with Grandpa on learning that river with all of it's flows and eddies/back waters when I got into bass/walleye fishing on other rivers and fished places that reminded me of my childhood, and found great fish holding areas with excellent fishing.

I will take trips, long and short, and stay at like a cabin or camp out at places with dark skies where you can really see the stars and Milky Way.
We have a State Recreation Area named Merritt Reservoir in the northwest part of our state, about 6 hours from where we live and the night sky is perfect for viewing, people come from all over the country every year in July and set up telescopes and view the stars, we have always wanted to go but can never manage the vacation time to hit when viewing is best. I thoroughly enjoy pictures from the Hubble telescope, I view the site often, God's handiwork on display, all those stars, planets and spiral galaxies just floating, so cool.

I love looking at pictures

chaser

Tomorrow George and I are headed out to Costco for early opening seniors.
Made that trip yesterday, always do it 1st of the month and replenish our can goods if need be, there prices are hard to beat and the product is quality, really like the canned salmon, albacore and chicken breast, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, some frozen individual wrapped chicken breast too, comes in handy. We have a small pantry in the kitchen, but the bulk of what we store is on shelves in the basement. This month all I needed to get at Costco was a couple vitamin selections and a few boxes of Tate's chocolate chip cookies, can't run out of those! We always cook at home, rarely eat out or order any pickup/to go dining which saves much $$, if something crazy happens and we are locked in we would be ok for 3-5 months if the power is on, if power loss then would have to probably ration/plan but still could go 2 months easy, maybe more. I do not like going to the store all the time, just once a week or so for milk, fresh bell peppers/onions etc is fine with me and I go early a.m.

Kerbluey

I grew up in Florida. We had a small boat and went saltwater fishing then. We used to go island hopping too. We’d take the boat out, anchor offshore a bit, and wade to the island to picnic. Us kids would ride on my dad‘s back as he used a fishing pole to stir up the sand ahead of him to shoo any stingrays away. I was 10 when we moved, and from then on it was freshwater fishing in ponds or the river.

Fun times. I’ve been feeling really sentimental lately. Times were so good and I had no idea, but I try to remind myself that one day I may look back on today as the good times. I’m already thinking of 2019 that way.

athenasius

I grew up in Florida. We had a small boat and went saltwater fishing then. We used to go island hopping too. We’d take the boat out, anchor offshore a bit, and wade to the island to picnic. Us kids would ride on my dad‘s back as he used a fishing pole to stir up the sand ahead of him to shoo any stingrays away. I was 10 when we moved, and from then on it was freshwater fishing in ponds or the river.

Fun times. I’ve been feeling really sentimental lately. Times were so good and I had no idea, but I try to remind myself that one day I may look back on today as the good times. I’m already thinking of 2019 that way.
We will know we are REALLY on the way to the Rapture if we get nostalgic about the good old days of 2020 :lol

PhilR

Grandpa used to take me every weekend to the river to fish with set lines on the bank for catfish when I was about 7 years old and the water would be cold, too cold to wade in, but when the water warmed late spring early summer we fished set lines on willows we placed by wading out in the river and worked the willow deep into the sand while being waist deep in water/current, quite fun. The area we fished was a State Rec Area, river access and about a dozen sand pits, we fished cane poles and he had a spot where water flowed from one lake to the next . There was a deep hole where the water flowed through a culvert dumping into the next lake and at night catfish would gather in that deep hole. We would catch the catfish on heavy duty cane poles on a weighted line and a small sand toad or frog, was such riot, smaller ones easy to catch and swing to shore but the bigger ones would take some finesse and time to get them close to a landing net. My first rod and reel was a True Temper glass bait casting rod with a Pflueger direct drive bait casting reel filled with 15lb test Dacron braided line, the reel had no drag so you would have to thumb the spool when playing out a fish, and to control the reel spool when casting. Very fond memories of my childhood. I got to hunt and fish with grandpa Bud until he had a stroke when I was 14 and he passed away. I continued fishing that river with childhood friends until right after High School at which time the Corp of Engineers decided to change the flow of the river and it's channel, when they got done you could walk all the way across it, it was only knee to barely waist deep, no more deep water holes of 8' or more from that time on I fished lakes. I used the knowledge gained from that time with Grandpa on learning that river with all of it's flows and eddies/back waters when I got into bass/walleye fishing on other rivers and fished places that reminded me of my childhood, and found great fish holding areas with excellent fishing.

We have a State Recreation Area named Merritt Reservoir in the northwest part of our state, about 6 hours from where we live and the night sky is perfect for viewing, people come from all over the country every year in July and set up telescopes and view the stars, we have always wanted to go but can never manage the vacation time to hit when viewing is best. I thoroughly enjoy pictures from the Hubble telescope, I view the site often, God's handiwork on display, all those stars, planets and spiral galaxies just floating, so cool.

I love looking at pictures
Yes chaser, they hold the Nebraska Star Party each year around the end of July or first of August at Merritt Lake at the Snake River Campground. There are a variety of "star parties" from April thru October each year. all over the country. They are big get togethers of amateur astronomers like me where they stay for up to a week either camping out or at local lodging. They will do astro photography or just view and offer others the chance to look through their scopes. They also have swap meets, and they offer catered meals. They can be a lot of fun, and they are a chance for people who live in light polluted urban areas a change to experience truly dark star filled skies. I have actually never attended the Nebraska Party but I have stayed at a guest ranch a few years ago near Mullen Ne south of the Merritt Lake/ Valentinr Ne area. This whole area of western Nebraska has some of the darkest skies in the US. Most of the time I go to areas 70 or so miles south and west of KC to use my scope. But about twice a year I take trips to the tip of the Oklahoma Panhandle in what is called the Black Mesa region. This too has skies equally dark as the Merritt lake area. They also have the annual Okie Tex Star Party in this Black Mesa every year usually in September or October...I have also taken trips to the Big Bend region of Texas. They also have a major star party called the Texas Star Party ususally in late April.
Amateur Astronomers are quite a diverse group. Some, like me are die hard night sky observers and astro photographers, but some are in it mostly to socialize and look through other peoples telescopes. We are not all deep sky hunters and explorers. Some even do scientific work like hunting for new comets, or monitoring variable stars, or trying to discover supernovae and novae, and monitoring asteroids.. This is truly a fun hobby that can last a lifetime , and unlike hunting and fishing, you don't need a license to do it,, and it is always open season.

Last edited:

chaser

Yes chaser, they hold the Nebraska Star Party each year around the end of July or first of August at Merritt Lake at the Snake River Campground
If we went to the Merritt area in May or June and the moon phase was right for viewing(dark) and we have just our binoculars would we be able to view? Which way do you view, from east horizon to west, do you position a certain direction and just wait. Any viewing tips you could share ? I read an article last year that some star is about to go super nova and it will light up the sky for an extended period of time and many are watching for it, that would be quite interesting to see. My wife always has to put in for vacation time in January and the months of July/August are always taken by those with more seniority , but we will be out there sometime this year as we just relax and fish a day or two, hopefully we can catch a night with no cloud cover or moon light.

greg64

I read an article last year that some star is about to go super nova and it will light up the sky for an extended period of time and many are watching for it, that would be quite interesting to see.

Betelgeuse? It's the reddish start in one of the corners of the constellation Orion. Very visible in the evening this time of year, even in light filled areas. While out with the dog last night, I was looking at it and wondering when... it could have happened already but the light hasn't reached us yet. On the other hand, I just looked at an article that says it isn't close and the recent variations were due to other things. Still... probably my favorite part of the sky to look at.