IRS Creating System To Go After Tips

Dave123

Waitresses-736x400.jpeg

Last night during the State of the Union, President Biden claimed to be a working-class leader but threatened to veto any bill that would repeal his extreme expansion of the Internal Revenue Service. Over the summer, the Democrats permitted the tax collectors to add 86,852 more agents to its ranks and added tens of billions to its budget.

At the time of passage, Democrats promised that there would be no auditing of regular Americans. The New York Times noted that “Charles P. Rettig, the Internal Revenue Service commissioner, told Congress on Thursday that the tax collection agency would not increase audits of households earning less than $400,000 if it was given the additional $80 billion,” but most people aren’t buying it.

Republicans have already tried to roll back the expansion, but the Democrats are full steam ahead.

Now we are finding out who Democrats believe are “rich,” and it includes waiters and waitresses.

Fox News reports that the IRS is now planning to come after tips. “The Service Industry Tip Compliance Agreement (SITCA) program would be a voluntary tip reporting system in which the IRS and service industry companies cooperate, according to the announcement Monday. As part of the proposal, the IRS will give the public until early May to provide feedback on the program before implementing it.

Read full article at: https://www.newconservativepost.com...operate, according to the announcement Monday.

Dave123

Gotta re-coup that $1400 stimulus money, somehow. I just got done filing my taxes, and I got $0.00 earned income credit (last year was $865) and I can no longer deduct charitable donations unless they can be itemized, which mine cannot. I ended up owing $500 this year when I should have had a refund at least twice what I owe.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
There were already some pretty insane rules regarding the reporting of tips for tax purposes. If I'm not mistaken, for those in tipping jobs where their pay is almost nothing because the assumption is they make their money from tips, I think that one had to report a minimum 10% of a total bill as a tip for tax purposes even if less or none was received.

The way I look at a tip... it's a gift! Gifts under $15K (give or take a little) aren't taxable and don't need to be reported. So unless a customer gives a tip larger than 15K, there shouldn't be anything to report or anything to tax.

Maybe because everybody and their mother is encouraging customers to tip now and tip big it may actually be big money overall. I read an article a ways back that compared tipping today compared to back in the day when tipping was much more limited to certain professions like waitressing/waitering. The gist of the article is that the tipping thing has gone way overboard with tip jars just about everywhere.

I wonder if a lot of people that make a regular wage but benefit from encouraging tips even report their tips to the IRS. Maybe the govmint suspects a lot of people in those tips encouraged but not necessarily customarily given jobs aren't reporting.

Ghoti Ichthus

Pray so they do not serve alone. Ephesians 6:10-20
When I worked in a tipping environment, we were required to report 15 percent of net or 7.5 percent of gross as tips, unless we got more, in which case it was the actual amount. This was way back in the 1970s and again in early 2000s. If considered an independent contractor instead of an employee, we also had to pay both the employer and employee Social Security tax.

The biggest losers were the individuals that customers didn't like (for whatever reason).

Last edited:

jab777

You know, I sincerely wish they’d stop saying that people earning under $400k won’t see any tax increase. That’s a load of what makes grass grow green. Everyone except the well off are being taxed more either directly or indirectly. Every time the prices go up it’s like being taxed. A lot of folks are feeling the pinch. One reason they are going after those who earn less is because they are easy pickings. In other words, the well off can afford high priced tax attorneys to get things resolved to their satisfaction. The other reason they are going after regular folks is that it’s part of the WEF’s “you will own nothing and be happy.” Disgusting.

Bethlehem57

Waitresses-736x400.jpeg

Last night during the State of the Union, President Biden claimed to be a working-class leader but threatened to veto any bill that would repeal his extreme expansion of the Internal Revenue Service. Over the summer, the Democrats permitted the tax collectors to add 86,852 more agents to its ranks and added tens of billions to its budget.

At the time of passage, Democrats promised that there would be no auditing of regular Americans. The New York Times noted that “Charles P. Rettig, the Internal Revenue Service commissioner, told Congress on Thursday that the tax collection agency would not increase audits of households earning less than $400,000 if it was given the additional $80 billion,” but most people aren’t buying it.

Republicans have already tried to roll back the expansion, but the Democrats are full steam ahead.

Now we are finding out who Democrats believe are “rich,” and it includes waiters and waitresses.

Fox News reports that the IRS is now planning to come after tips. “The Service Industry Tip Compliance Agreement (SITCA) program would be a voluntary tip reporting system in which the IRS and service industry companies cooperate, according to the announcement Monday. As part of the proposal, the IRS will give the public until early May to provide feedback on the program before implementing it.

Read full article at: https://www.newconservativepost.com/2023/02/irs-creating-system-to-go-after-tips/#:~:text=Fox News reports that the IRS is now,industry companies cooperate, according to the announcement Monday.
Republicans need to continue full steam ahead to stop this! They already target taxpayers who can’t afford what Biden thinks are good ideas, I. E., open borders at taxpayers‘ expense. How can the average taxpayers keep up with his wasteful spending, and constantly rising costs of food, fuel and other necessities?

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
We are trying to tip in cash, even if we pay the bill with a card. Then it's up to the sever what to claim, how to work it out, whatever. People making $2 and change per hour plus tips and gov't wants to go after them? They have stooped to a new low.

I might start tipping in cash... I don't like carrying/using cash. I wonder though if the right person will pick it up from the table. At a lot of sit downs nowadays several people come to your table for one thing or another...

Dave123

I might start tipping in cash... I don't like carrying/using cash. I wonder though if the right person will pick it up from the table. At a lot of sit downs nowadays several people come to your table for one thing or another...
I have been cash tipping when the waiter or waitress shows up to ask us how the meal is. I tell them that I want to make sure the money gets into their hands. They are always appreciative.

alisani

You know, I sincerely wish they’d stop saying that people earning under $400k won’t see any tax increase. That’s a load of what makes grass grow green. Everyone except the well off are being taxed more either directly or indirectly. Every time the prices go up it’s like being taxed. A lot of folks are feeling the pinch. One reason they are going after those who earn less is because they are easy pickings. In other words, the well off can afford high priced tax attorneys to get things resolved to their satisfaction. The other reason they are going after regular folks is that it’s part of the WEF’s “you will own nothing and be happy.” Disgusting.
I've realized that the 1% will never be sated. If just one of these elites had every single bit of worldly wealth excepting one penny, they would still do everything within their power to obtain that one penny. But their power is on the wane, even as it seems to still be ascending. Because our God is the Alpha and Omega. He goes before us and is our rearguard. No evil can pluck us from His hand. And he laughs at the folly of those who consider themselves all-powerful.

Isaiah 49:13
Shout for joy, you heavens;
rejoice, you earth;
burst into song, you mountains!
For the Lord comforts his people
and will have compassion on his afflicted ones.

Psalm 98:1-9
Sing to the LORD a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him. The LORD has made his salvation known and revealed his righteousness to the nations. He has remembered his love and his faithfulness to the house of Israel; all the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God. Shout for joy to the LORD, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music; make music to the LORD with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing, with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn-- shout for joy before the LORD, the King. Let the sea resound, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it. Let the rivers clap their hands, let the mountains sing together for joy; let them sing before the LORD, for he comes to judge the earth. He will judge the world in righteousness and the peoples with equity.

Let them make their wars and their plans. We've read the end of the book. We will live these last days in gratitude and prayer. We will witness in love and truth. They will try, but they cannot hope to silence God's people.

depserv

You have to wonder how many of those who work for tips believed the Biden lies and voted for him. This is not the first time the Democrat/RINO coalition force-fed us a tax increase while claiming they were only going after the so-called rich. I guess I must be rich (though it certainly doesn't seem like it) because my taxes always go up after these things happen. But once the victims of this lie wake up a new generation of naive voters will come along to replace them.

And these thefts will only increase, because the parasite is growing fatter, and its already ravenous appetite is increasing. The real rich only have so much money even if the criminal gang took every penny of it. So where do you think the money will be coming from?

The 30+ trillion dollar debt carries with it some pretty serious interest payments, which will go up as interest rates go up. The young naive people who voted for Biden and his comrades will be the ones who have to live with this betrayal all their lives; those who are older and wiser will only suffer a relatively few years of it. I take no pleasure in saying this; I'm just pointing out the obvious.

GotGrace

Republicans need to continue full steam ahead to stop this! They already target taxpayers who can’t afford what Biden thinks are good ideas, I. E., open borders at taxpayers‘ expense. How can the average taxpayers keep up with his wasteful spending, and constantly rising costs of food, fuel and other necessities?

Repubs need to go after this, yes, they do. Servers have a hard job and give me a break they are not buying mansions, sport cars or vacationing in Paris. To go after their tips is insane. :gaah

Back