Iran navy in dash for Atlantic, possibly Venezuela

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Iran navy in dash for Atlantic, possibly Venezuela
Earlier this year the Wall Street Journal reported that Israel had carried out attacks on a dozen Iranian ships headed for Syria, apparently carrying oil.
By SETH J. FRANTZMAN
JUNE 6, 2021

At least two ships from Iran’s small navy are making a high seas voyage to Venezuela. One of them, called the IRINS Makran may have several small fast boats strapped to its desk according to USNI news. This matters because it will boost the ability of Venezuela to harass ships and also because it shows that Iran has a blue water navy capable of long distance missions. It has been a bad year for Iran’s navy. The large Iranian ship Kharq sunk last week after a disastrous fire. The Iranian IRGC-linked spy ship Saviz was attacked in the Red Sea in April. Iran’s submarines appear to be inoperable and in dry dock. But it’s not all bad news. Iran received a new ship called Shahed Roudaki over the last year. It’s Makran is considered one of its largest ships at 228 meters. In February the IRGC navy received 340 new small vessels, some with drones.

So what’s happening with the Venezuela mission. The Markan was last seen on April 28, the USNI report says. Politico said on June 2 that the ships are being monitored and may reach the Atlantic soon. They may already be in the Atlantic, as of last week. “A spokesperson for the US National Security Council noted that Venezuela purchased weapons from Iran over a year ago, and warned that any new delivery of weapons ‘would be a provocative act and a threat to our partners in this hemisphere.”

more............. https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/iran-navy-in-dash-for-atlantic-possibly-venezuela-670216

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Two Iranian warships round tip of Africa for first time, sparking US concern
As Makran and Sahand appear to head for the Atlantic, some American officials worry they are carrying weapons for Venezuela; others expect them to turn back soon
By TOI staff and Agencies

The US is tracking two Iranian Navy ships that have rounded the southern tip of Africa and are headed to the Atlantic Ocean, the farthest west that Iranian navy ships have gone, according to multiple reports Friday. According to reports in CNN, Politico and Fox News, US officials have been following the movements of the Makran and the Sahand for the past two weeks with some concern, and believe they may be headed for Venezuela in South America. The two regimes are allies. It is not clear what cargo the ships are carrying, though one of them has been photographed with seven small attack boats on its desk, of the kind that has often harassed US Navy boats in the Persian Gulf. Some officials believe they may be looking to deliver weapons to Caracas. Washington would likely view an Iranian move into the Atlantic as an aggressive act that could further exacerbate tensions between the countries.

more............. https://www.timesofisrael.com/two-i...of-africa-for-first-time-sparking-us-concern/

OnlyHim

Ok if their biggest ship in their navy was sunk a couple of days ago, which looked like nothing more than a WW2 cargo ship, then I’m not too concerned about these ships headed to Venezuela. I think our coast guard deals with more crap from the drug trade than these little boats these ships are carrying.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The fastboats are lifeboats for use when the two ships carrying them collide.
Nonetheless, the Monroe Doctrine was put in place for the protection of our hemisphere. Biden needs to observe it.

Maybe some of our Navy Seals can attach the same kind of mines to these ships that Iran has used against so many...

MePlus6

There is speculation this Navy “warship” is sitting lower in the water than previously seen, and the reason being it’s loaded with fuel headed for Venezuela. Venezuela is an oil-rich nation but lacks refinery capacity.

NavyMom

After my son came home from his 1st deployment in 2019, the stories he told us about the crazy Iranians chasing them all the time really scared me. His fleet shot down several enemy boats while they transversed through the canal. Thank the Lord I knew none of it until he was safely back on US soil!

He is currently deployed overseas again, on the USS Ronald Reagan. There have been rumors of them going to Afghanistan soon to help with troop withdrawal. The things going on and how quickly they have picked up have me on edge!