Iran FM demands US unfreeze $10 billion in order to restart nuclear talks

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Iran FM demands US unfreeze $10 billion in order to restart nuclear talks
Hossein Amirabdollahian quoted as saying that Tehran will only return to negotiations if US shows goodwill gesture by releasing funds blocked by sanctions
By TOI staff and AFP
3 October 2021

Iran said it has told the United States that it will only consider returning to nuclear talks if the State Department releases $10 billion of Tehran’s frozen funds as a sign of goodwill, Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amirabdollahian said Saturday. “The Americans tried to contact us through different channels [at the UN General Assembly] in New York, and I told the mediators if America’s intentions are serious then a serious indication was needed… by releasing at least $10 billion of blocked money,” Amirabdollahian told Iranian state TV, according to quotes carried by Reuters.

“They are not willing to free $10 billion belonging to the Iranian nation so that we can say that the Americans once in the past several decades considered the interests of the Iranian nation,” Amirabdollahian said. Iran says tens of billions of dollars of its assets are held in foreign banks due to US sanctions. Last week, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken renewed warnings that time was running out for Iran to return to a nuclear deal, saying it was up to Tehran to act.

more............. https://www.timesofisrael.com/iran-...10-billion-in-order-to-restart-nuclear-talks/

athenasius

Hehe obviously.
Yeah that gave me a chuckle. Reminded me of Obama sending them helicopters full of unmarked cash. They probably think Biden will do even more, but only if prodded a bit cause of the senility factor.