Interesting Yoga Story

frodo82801

I've got a pretty good friend who is a Christian and is a yoga instructor. From all I've learned about yoga over the years, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I heard an interview a while back in which the interviewee stated that even if a Christian meditates on Jesus instead of emptying his/her mind, the poses themselves are designed to put one in touch with different deities. He said that the Hindus wanted to make inroads into the U.S. but felt blocked probably due to the fact that we were still a decently Christian nation. So, they saw yoga as a way to get a foothold. And they did. Look at how sophisticated the yoga practitioners feel. They're teaching yoga in schools as a way to improved behavior and grades.

https://www.truthbehindyoga.com/

frodo82801

I need to add that I've done a little research on the roots of yoga in the U.S. and haven't found anything yet. I have found some others talking about the spiritual aspects of yoga, with a number saying that it's all about the spiritual and that if you are in it as a way to relax and perform better, you are getting the spiritual regardless of how you think about it.

Anewcreationinjesus

https://www.lighthousetrailsresearch.com/blog/?p=2946

Lighthouse trail research is brilliant and features people who have come out of the new age like Warren b Smith.

Is always encouraging to read testimonies of people rescued from this stuff!!!

The eastern religion root of yoga and "namaste - the god in me greets the god in you" - which is what they say at the end of yoga class, can never be christianised as no lie is of the truth (1 John 2:21) and expose the unfruitful works of darkness, don't have fellowship with them (Ephesians 5:11)

...that original lie of the serpent "and ye shall be as gods" carries on today in the form of the entire new age system where everyone is seen as "divine" ...it says it all that increasingly these new age practices are aimed at kids!! Maranatha ...

Last edited:

ItsNotAboutTheDonkey

I wrestle with how (or whether) to bring up spiritual problems about yoga with my Christian friends who are really into it. Having come from a pagan, new age background, I know that yoga would be dangerous for me. Rather like having a glass of wine would be dangerous for an alcoholic. Absolutely not worth the risk. But should I say something? Or is this one of those areas where I need to say "others can, you can't" "other have freedom in Christ and can engage in stretching exercises without fear of satanic inroads, but you cannot because of your past" and let them find their own way?

madcat

As a physical therapist, just get a good stretching program, resisted muscle program, and concentrate on that. Listen to some good Christian music while doing it - problem solved.

But I also see SO many churches sponsoring Yoga onsite. It would be interesting to see the ratio of apostasy in these churches.

JSTyler

As a physical therapist, just get a good stretching program, resisted muscle program, and concentrate on that. Listen to some good Christian music while doing it - problem solved.

But I also see SO many churches sponsoring Yoga onsite. It would be interesting to see the ratio of apostasy in these churches.
Good advice. I have a few types of arthritis. There are specific programs as you mention that our local Library has on Dvd. One labels itself as yoga. I watched it, and found that it was a resisted muscle and stretching program. They present no mediation, no breathing technique, no complex positions or movements. There were no easily discernible spiritual elements throughout the exercises whatsoever.

Would this be considered harmful?

Every element involved was very similar to how I exercised and recovered from an accident via advice from a physical therapist at a work-injury center.

Luke12

They have a "Laughing Yoga" Group at where I work.
Reminds me of the laughing revival of the "Toronto blessing" of some years ago only disguised as yoga. Having spent a week up at the Toronto Airport Vineyard church in the mid-nineties I saw lots and lots of strange poses and other nonsense I now recognize as a counterfeit spirit. Once in a while a few of my friends mention it and we go around and around in our discussions.

Last edited:

Andy C

Deep stretching is great and very beneficial but not yoga.

2 years ago, a new craze started in Oregon. GOAT YOGA. During the class, goats roam around, climb on people, or just get in the way. This is just another example of where aging hippies chose to retire - Oregon.
Yes, I now live in Oregon, but I stay in a tight circle near my house, and dont venture off to crazy town.

madcat

Good advice. I have a few types of arthritis. There are specific programs as you mention that our local Library has on Dvd. One labels itself as yoga. I watched it, and found that it was a resisted muscle and stretching program. They present no mediation, no breathing technique, no complex positions or movements. There were no easily discernible spiritual elements throughout the exercises whatsoever.

Would this be considered harmful?

Every element involved was very similar to how I exercised and recovered from an accident via advice from a physical therapist at a work-injury center.
Physical exercise, with stretching, weight resistance, etc. is and has been the hallmark of physical therapy/rehab for many decades. There is nothing “spiritual” involved unless you just happen to want to listen to music, etc. while you exercise.
Muscles have the same origins and insertions that God gave us, and our joints move in specific planes/directions in the same way. We should just stick to improving the bodies God gave us, and not add in any of the “new age meaningfulness” voodoo people think is trendy and is actually rooted in mysticism.
Add in some heat (or ice as the condition requires), medical massage such as myofascial release, and other tried and true modalities, and I think that’s the “ticket”.

I have read from those used to do it, that certain yoga positions “open up” a segment of the spine that invites mystic entities to invade a person’s “spirit. ALL movements of the spine are God-given, and I never entertained the thought that I was leading someone into a dangerous spiritual situation when I was treating them and teaching a home program.

While I certainly believe there are demons and spiritual “uglies” out there just chomping at the bit to control us, a sound exercise program isn’t an invitation to them.
I think it’s that as God says, we can turn anything decent into an “idol” if that’s our desire.
Exercise and enjoy!!! Just don’t chant “oooom, oooom, :mystic

JSTyler

Physical exercise, with stretching, weight resistance, etc. is and has been the hallmark of physical therapy/rehab for many decades. There is nothing “spiritual” involved unless you just happen to want to listen to music, etc. while you exercise.
Muscles have the same origins and insertions that God gave us, and our joints move in specific planes/directions in the same way. We should just stick to improving the bodies God gave us, and not add in any of the “new age meaningfulness” voodoo people think is trendy and is actually rooted in mysticism.
Add in some heat (or ice as the condition requires), medical massage such as myofascial release, and other tried and true modalities, and I think that’s the “ticket”.

I have read from those used to do it, that certain yoga positions “open up” a segment of the spine that invites mystic entities to invade a person’s “spirit. ALL movements of the spine are God-given, and I never entertained the thought that I was leading someone into a dangerous spiritual situation when I was treating them and teaching a home program.

While I certainly believe there are demons and spiritual “uglies” out there just chomping at the bit to control us, a sound exercise program isn’t an invitation to them.
I think it’s that as God says, we can turn anything decent into an “idol” if that’s our desire.
Exercise and enjoy!!! Just don’t chant “oooom, oooom, :mystic
I have to say, I agree completely with this entire post. Thanks for the wisdom and common sense advice. My wife and I work out all of the time and will continue to do so as long as we're able. The stretches pre-workout and post are aimed at loosening the joints and sinews, saving the muscles from tears and over strain. We used to be avid rock-rats but those days are long in the past. Still have to do the regular upkeep on the temple.

Spartan Sprinter 1

I have to say, I agree completely with this entire post. Thanks for the wisdom and common sense advice. My wife and I work out all of the time and will continue to do so as long as we're able. The stretches pre-workout and post are aimed at loosening the joints and sinews, saving the muscles from tears and over strain. We used to be avid rock-rats but those days are long in the past. Still have to do the regular upkeep on the temple.

Foam Rollers are also very good if you can't afford to get massages on a regular basis

fl2007rn

Excellent post Madcat! A stretching program with Christian music playing is a great solution for a work out. I did a google search and there is someone who created a routine called "Praise Moves" instead of doing Yoga.

fl2007rn

Deep stretching is great and very beneficial but not yoga.

2 years ago, a new craze started in Oregon. GOAT YOGA. During the class, goats roam around, climb on people, or just get in the way. This is just another example of where aging hippies chose to retire - Oregon.
Yes, I now live in Oregon, but I stay in a tight circle near my house, and dont venture off to crazy town.
Andy C: It is not just Oregon where the liberals are moving. They are retiring to my home state of Florida and bringing their liberal politics and views along with them. We have goat yoga in the county where I live. My sister lives in Texas and the same thing is happening to that state.