Instagram: The Vanguard of Vanity

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I was late to get a cell phone but have come to appreciate it very much. It's a pocket computer and I do so much with it. When I'm at a store the store app can helpful tell me where whatever I'm looking for is supposed to be located, and whether or not they have any of what I'm looking for in stock. I can price check other locales before I make the purchase.

At fast food joints I use coupons provided with their apps.

I keep my grocery list on my phone so now I never accidentally leave the grocery list at home...

I use it in a 100 different useful ways, including reading books and the bible. I used to carry a book around with me wherever I went. Now I've got the book I'm reading on the cell phone.
I worded my post wrong.

I dont hate the smart phone. I hate to see.people spending more time on their phones than interacting with people.

There.are great uses for the phone but I am wondering if some folks aren't addicted to it. My hair cutter told me that her employees would turn customers away then sit on their phones.

cheeky200386

I didn't let my kids have social media accounts until they needed them for school which only happened with the two youngest. My two daughters (the older of the children) still don't have any social media accounts as far as I know. I don't know how that has affected their lives socially... they both seem somewhat isolated. My two boys ended up with facebook for school purposes but neither ever used facebook much beyond what they needed to do for school. They've told me it's a waste of time.

It's a different world out there and people interact a lot using the social media sites. Guess I'm somewhat isolated as a result of never getting on that bandwagon.
I only use YouTube for sermons and am on here. I have found that I am able to fill my days with social activities and church a lot more than I would have thought. I just have to limit things because of my part time job and son. Is there a community of believes near you? You'd be surprised how much people need someone to listen to them, encourage them, and just chat.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I only use YouTube for sermons and am on here. I have found that I am able to fill my days with social activities and church a lot more than I would have thought. I just have to limit things because of my part time job and son. Is there a community of believes near you? You'd be surprised how much people need someone to listen to them, encourage them, and just chat.

Oh yes. We have tons of churches to choose from here in the interior.

cheeky200386

Oh yes. We have tons of churches to choose from here in the interior.
That's awesome!!! At least you won't have to be so isolated and can spend more time with believers serving them and being encouraged yourself. I do feel sad for the young adults who really seem to struggle socializing nowadays. I work with several and just having small talk is difficult for many.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
That's awesome!!! At least you won't have to be so isolated and can spend more time with believers serving them and being encouraged yourself. I do feel sad for the young adults who really seem to struggle socializing nowadays. I work with several and just having small talk is difficult for many.

I'm isolated only in the sense that people do a lot of their communicating via social media and since I don't participate in that I'm out of the loop a lot. I think Facebook has mostly replaced newspapers as the place to go to learn what's going on in the community. We still have a local paper but it's owned by an out of state liberal conglomerate, it's down to only a few pages, and there are almost no subscribers. Facebook, through groups, has created places for sharing community news and goings on.

Several years ago when we had a homeless person wandering around our area I joined a Facebook group for my area and went to it a couple of times to see what was going on with this guy. He had a rap sheet and was considered dangerous. I was able to get up to date information by checking with that community group. I think most people are plugged into Facebook information sources all day every day. For me it was just a week or so of occasionally checking. I did learn that that's where to go to get information...

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Are some of them biblically solid teaching churches?

I haven't been to all of them... One I used to go to merged with another church and they became focused on overseas missionary work, seemingly above everything else. I liked that church a lot before the merger, but I don't attend now. I don't remember being in a church here where eschatology is included, so I guess I'd have to say I haven't truly found a "solid" church.

RobinB

I use it in a 100 different useful ways, including reading books and the bible. I used to carry a book around with me wherever I went. Now I've got the book I'm reading on the cell phone.

Me too. Love having a Kindle right on my cell, I always having reading material with me.

DWB

It's seems like people are not being themselves, they are morphing into something they think will get them more likes or followers.

ChildofLight

I was probably on Facebook about a month before I deleted it. I could care less about what everyone else was doing. Their world is not my world. Also, I know they truly could care less about what I’m doing. Being on there was a waste of time.

cheeky200386

I'm isolated only in the sense that people do a lot of their communicating via social media and since I don't participate in that I'm out of the loop a lot. I think Facebook has mostly replaced newspapers as the place to go to learn what's going on in the community. We still have a local paper but it's owned by an out of state liberal conglomerate, it's down to only a few pages, and there are almost no subscribers. Facebook, through groups, has created places for sharing community news and goings on.

Several years ago when we had a homeless person wandering around our area I joined a Facebook group for my area and went to it a couple of times to see what was going on with this guy. He had a rap sheet and was considered dangerous. I was able to get up to date information by checking with that community group. I think most people are plugged into Facebook information sources all day every day. For me it was just a week or so of occasionally checking. I did learn that that's where to go to get information...
I see what you mean. Same here. I check the church Facebook page to get updates because they don't put them on their website. It is unfortunate that Facebook is so heavily relied on given how it's been abused by those in charge of it.