Instagram: The Vanguard of Vanity

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
Instagram: The Vanguard of Vanity
By Todd Strandberg

The first king of social media was Myspace, then came Twitter and Facebook, and now a new site is taking over the reins. Instagram is a site primarily used for posting pictures and short videos.

Originally launched for iOS in October 2010, Instagram rapidly gained popularity, with one million registered users in two months, 10 million in a year, and 1 billion as of June 2018.

Instagram is owned by Facebook, which bought the company for $1 billion in 2012. With the firm now said to be worth $100 billion, Mark Zuckerberg did quite well on his investment.

As of June 2021, the most followed person is Portuguese professional soccer player Cristiano Ronaldo, with over 300 million followers. The most followed woman is American singer Ariana Grande, with 251 followers. I found a list of the top 50 accounts on Instagram, and over 90% of the list is dominated by people who are known for their looks.

I’ve spent a couple of weeks trying to understand the platform. Because I normally work with PC, I quickly realized this domain is meant to be run on a smartphone. I also made the determination that Instagram sets a new low in self-worship. I would call the site the Vanguard of Vanity. If you are considered to be eye-candy, you can join the club. If you have no talent or looks, you can go somewhere else.

The primary goal on Instagram is to get the highest number of people to follow you. You post pictures and hope for a large number of likes. People can also post comments, and these can lead into the thousands. The average comment is not in any language. People mostly post symbols of hearts, fire, and an assortment of smiley faces.

On Kylie Jenner’s account, she has images that have been viewed millions of times, and there might be 30,000 comments to her post. There is almost zero chance that Jenner is going to see the posts. I looked on dozens of posts and couldn’t find any comment that Jenner gave any response.

I probably lost a few IQ points skimming through Instagram pages. On 4 January 2019, someone posted an image of a bird egg with the caption, “Let’s set a world record together and get the most liked post on Instagram.” Within days, the egg photo got 54 million likes.

For every Justin Bieber with 183 million followers, there are millions with hardly any followers. I found one guy who works as a model who had one million followers. I did some test inputs by responding to some of his posts. At first, I was amazed that he liked my comments, but I quickly learned that he likes everyone’s comments. He and millions of other people are wasting huge amounts of time on this site.

I read a few articles that said this model was having mental health issues. I posted my concern on his Instagram account about his mental well-being, and not a single person shared my concern. One woman said he was “thriving,” and I should check on my own mental health. He may be thriving at age 24, but where will he be at age 34? At some point, the phone is going to stop ringing because his looks have faded, and younger models have taken his place on the catwalks.

You don’t get to be a star on Instagram for very long. The singer Madonna only has 16 million Instagram followers. If this were 1985, she would likely have over 200 million followers. Instagram fame only lasts as long as you remain very attractive.

If social media had existed in the 1800s, the top accounts would be by authors, ministers, and politicians. Today, you can have an IQ of 70 and be a star on Instagram.

Social media sites like Instagram have driven people to levels of self-promotion that God never intended. Many people have become slaves to what the public thinks of them. It’s nice to be famous, but it doesn’t guarantee happiness. God’s word says that pride generally results in a negative outcome:

“Pride leads to destruction; a proud attitude brings ruin” (Proverbs 16:18).

Anyone who tries to promote their own greatness does not deserve any respect. Greatness can only come from the praise of other people. The only lasting praise is what God thinks of our lives.

“Don’t praise yourself. Let someone else do it. Let the praise come from a stranger and not your own mouth” (Proverbs 27:2).

–Todd

https://www.raptureforums.com/end-times/instagram-the-vanguard-of-vanity/

mattfivefour

Administrator
Staff member
That Instagram and Twitter have so many subscribers who focus so much time on them shows exactly why this world is in the condition it is in. When Paul started his list of what the world would be like in the last days, I do not think it incidental or accidental that he began with the words "people will be lovers of themselves".

Dave_97

I’m 24 years old, and I had to delete my Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. When I got saved back in 2018, I could not handle the stuff on there. For Instagram, it’s filled with models, people arguing, and a never ending hustle to get the most likes.

I only have Facebook, and I’ve cleared my friend list from 1200 to barely 200. I only access Facebook on a computer cause I can at least regulate what I see. I also use YouTube on our family TV for bible prophecy channels such as Andy Woods, and other prophecy teachers.

It really sucks that social media has basically gotten out of control. It’s hard to enjoy it, images of women barely wearing anything are everywhere, people are ALWAYS fighting. With the addition of TikTok, it’s even worse. Sometimes I feel cut off from the world cause everyone my age is on there and I’m not. However, when I get on there it affects me negatively in my spiritual growth

Sorry didn’t mean to go on a whole rant, but this is why I want Christ to return soon. It gets difficult everyday as a Christian. Paul was right, perilous times surely have arrived.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I’m 24 years old, and I had to delete my Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. When I got saved back in 2018, I could not handle the stuff on there. For Instagram, it’s filled with models, people arguing, and a never ending hustle to get the most likes.

I only have Facebook, and I’ve cleared my friend list from 1200 to barely 200. I only access Facebook on a computer cause I can at least regulate what I see. I also use YouTube on our family TV for bible prophecy channels such as Andy Woods, and other prophecy teachers.

It really sucks that social media has basically gotten out of control. It’s hard to enjoy it, images of women barely wearing anything are everywhere, people are ALWAYS fighting. With the addition of TikTok, it’s even worse. Sometimes I feel cut off from the world cause everyone my age is on there and I’m not. However, when I get on there it affects me negatively in my spiritual growth

Sorry didn’t mean to go on a whole rant, but this is why I want Christ to return soon. It gets difficult everyday as a Christian. Paul was right, perilous times surely have arrived.

Same , i had to cull a lot of friends from facebook because of all the garbage propaganda they were blindly believing just drove me insane.

For some that realised that i had deleted them and asked me why deleted them as friends , i just said facebook was originally designed as a form of communicating and catching up with friends young and old, not some political propaganda tool.

If you guys wanna chat etc, call me on my mobile, and talk to me verbally , otherwise i don't wanna see communism/woke/ we're not gonna take it type propaganda on my newsfeed everyday.

Amethyst

Angie ... †
I’m 24 years old, and I had to delete my Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.
When I was 24, Facebook had just blown up. MySpace had barely been around.
I am so glad there was no social media when I was in high school or turning 21.
My depression would have been 10x worse.

You think it seems odd that at 24 you have had to delete that stuff, but it never even occurred to my age group that it would ever even be "a thing." Thats all only in just the last 10 years.

Last edited:

RobinB

That Instagram and Twitter have so many subscribers who focus so much time on them shows exactly why this world is in the condition it is in. When Paul started his list of what the world would be like in the last days, I do not think it incidental or accidental that he began with the words "people will be lovers of themselves".

I remember a line from The Big Bang Theory-- Instagram is just Twitter for people who can't read. :rolleyes:

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven

I didn't let my kids have social media accounts until they needed them for school which only happened with the two youngest. My two daughters (the older of the children) still don't have any social media accounts as far as I know. I don't know how that has affected their lives socially... they both seem somewhat isolated. My two boys ended up with facebook for school purposes but neither ever used facebook much beyond what they needed to do for school. They've told me it's a waste of time.

It's a different world out there and people interact a lot using the social media sites. Guess I'm somewhat isolated as a result of never getting on that bandwagon.

RobinMc

Glad I've never been into social media. My younger friends and co-workers can't do their jobs because they are so busy checking their facebook. They put up pictures of themselves and 'men friends' comment on how hot they are. If their husbands have any such thing on their acct, that the wife monitors constantly, big blow up about it. I asked have they never heard of this goose and gander thing. They thought I was nuts.

soundingthealarm

Fleethewrath2come
A few years ago, maybe as many as 9 or 10 Direct TV had a commercial of a woman walking a very beautiful beach with Ipad in her hand and her head down looking at the Ipad (Direct TV Anywhere) was the theme and I was like how sad, called all three kids into the living room to show them the commercial as an admonition to not let technology take us down that path to where we miss out on LIVING and not just being entertained.

of course I was watching TV on a monitor and my kids did call me out on that lolol

pur56ple

Same , i had to cull a lot of friends from facebook because of all the garbage propaganda they were blindly believing just drove me insane.

For some that realised that i had deleted them and asked me why deleted them as friends , i just said facebook was originally designed as a form of communicating and catching up with friends young and old, not some political propaganda tool.

If you guys wanna chat etc, call me on my mobile, and talk to me verbally , otherwise i don't wanna see communism/woke/ we're not gonna take it type propaganda on my newsfeed everyday.
I never had a lot of people on my Facebook page as friends - I think most of them now are family or work people. One of the work people I am "friends" with as over 2000 friends (which are most likely acquaintances).....never did snapchat, instagram as I hate having my picture taken. For the people on my facebook page that get out of line, I block them and if it continues, unfriend them

Mama Bug

I have Parler but never get on it. I have Facebook. I don't post on it much though. I rarely post any pictures of my kids, just every now and then. When I do I change my settings to where only certain people can see them. I have some family and friends that I rarely see due to distance. I mostly post pictures or videos of my pets behaving badly or just being their cute goofy selves. I deleted Twitter a few years ago sometime after Trump got elected. It became nothing but the liberals crying about him being President. I got tired of it and deleted my account.

Mama Bug

Glad I've never been into social media. My younger friends and co-workers can't do their jobs because they are so busy checking their facebook. They put up pictures of themselves and 'men friends' comment on how hot they are. If their husbands have any such thing on their acct, that the wife monitors constantly, big blow up about it. I asked have they never heard of this goose and gander thing. They thought I was nuts.
My husband doesn't have social media but the only men friends I have are family unless they share an account with their wives and I know them. I made that a rule for myself a while ago. I felt that it would be disrespectful to my husband to do otherwise. Then he wouldn't be like "who is so and so?" If he went through my friends list.

RobinB

I never had a lot of people on my Facebook page as friends - I think most of them now are family or work people. One of the work people I am "friends" with as over 2000 friends (which are most likely acquaintances).....never did snapchat, instagram as I hate having my picture taken. For the people on my facebook page that get out of line, I block them and if it continues, unfriend them

I have a huge amount of FB friends, mainly because for years I developed relationships with readers that I wanted to promote my books to. Add to them writer friends, friends from various Christian groups, friends from low carb/Keto groups, etc. and they add up fast.

JoyJoyJoy

I Shall Not Be Moved
I enjoy the Facebook groups that I participate in. I have left groups because of filthy language and inappropriate pictures.

I am amazed at the number of selfies some people post. To me, it's like 'Look at me. Tell me how beautiful I am'....I think it's pathetic. I don't have Instagram and don't want it.

I agree that people spend too much time on their phones. I have a niece that is on 10-12 hours a day....looking at junk...nothing educational. Truly, I hate smart phones.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
I hate smart phones.

I was late to get a cell phone but have come to appreciate it very much. It's a pocket computer and I do so much with it. When I'm at a store the store app can helpful tell me where whatever I'm looking for is supposed to be located, and whether or not they have any of what I'm looking for in stock. I can price check other locales before I make the purchase.

At fast food joints I use coupons provided with their apps.

I keep my grocery list on my phone so now I never accidentally leave the grocery list at home...

I use it in a 100 different useful ways, including reading books and the bible. I used to carry a book around with me wherever I went. Now I've got the book I'm reading on the cell phone.

Spartan Sprinter 1

Formerly known as Shaun
I was late to get a cell phone but have come to appreciate it very much. It's a pocket computer and I do so much with it. When I'm at a store the store app can helpful tell me where whatever I'm looking for is supposed to be located, and whether or not they have any of what I'm looking for in stock. I can price check other locales before I make the purchase.

At fast food joints I use coupons provided with their apps.

I keep my grocery list on my phone so now I never accidentally leave the grocery list at home...

I use it in a 100 different useful ways, including reading books and the bible. I used to carry a book around with me wherever I went. Now I've got the book I'm reading on the cell phone.
Yeah i have the bible hub app on my phone that i use, LOL the only physical bible i have is an old children's bible that my God parents gave to me when i was a child

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
Yeah i have the bible hub app on my phone that i use, LOL the only physical bible i have is an old children's bible that my God parents gave to me when i was a child

I would suggest you consider getting a good physical Bible. In this crazy world we live in it wouldn't surprise me if one day the world declares the Bible illegal due to hatred, racism, lack of inclusion, etc., and you wake up the next morning and whatever you had Bible related on your cell phone has been removed. I've got oodles of physical Bibles in the house, but they're all gathering dust right now...

kathymendel

I feel so badly for our youth of today............. they are so busy typing on social media, that they are forgetting how to have a real conversation with their friends and loved ones. All this time is so wasted on one-upping or arguing with people one doesn't even really know personally, while real relationships are going down the tubes. To me, it seems, they will one day end up with no friends at all.......... I am on Facebook, but I rarely post anything other than a positive meme here and there.
I go there to see what my grandkids are doing, cuz I surely never hear from them. We really need to get back to talking to people on all these cellphones we have.
I can see all familial loyalty dying a slow death in today's world............... just like God's Word has told us it would.