Inerrancy of Scripture

Bethlehem57

Just saw article on RR that belief in the inerrancy of Scripture is at an all time low.

This, along with many other events as our Bible says, point to the time being ever close for the Church to be removed by Our Savior, King Jesus! For me, it won’t be soon enough, yet I will keep watching, praying and working as the Lord commanded.

According to the article
“…..poll after poll shows the extent of the biblical ignorance and moral decline in America which has lead to tragic consequences. A new Gallup survey backs up recent Barna and Pew Research, and the takeaways are consistent: it’s not the church or Christians who are impacting people’s worldview and perceptions of the Bible, it’s modern culture.

So, the dumbing down of the world, by the enemy is working; despite scientific research and archeological evidence that proves the inerrancy of Scripture, And the article goes on to say, “Yes, the Bible does contain historical details, but is full of extremely accurate history which is proven over and over… secular historians including Josephus. But Scripture is divine, not simply historic. And yes, the Bible was written by men: 66 different books compiled by many writers over a time span of 1,500 years on three different Continents – whose author was and is the Holy Spirit.“

The artical continues… “. …accurate history which is proven over and over by archaeology as well as various secular historians including Josephus. But Scripture is divine, not simply historic. And yes, the Bible was written by men: 66 different books compiled by many writers over a time span of 1,500 years on three different Continents – whose author was and is the Holy Spirit.”

Society today, makes it easy to understand how this evil continues to pervade. People today, “They prefer a God whose word is “fluid and therefore, many have created another gospel which the Bible strongly wars about (Galatians 1:6-9). “

Its sickening, to say the least!

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!
I have heard people say it isn't true because man wrote the :bible. I say it is inspired by God by the Holy Spirit. He gave them the wisdom to know what to write. Also, scripture tells us that some shall depart from the faith giving heed to seducing spirits and doctrines of devils.

Tall Timbers

Imperfect but forgiven
The modern "enlightened" man is becoming ever stupider...

I imagine it's very possible to surrender your life to Christ and then end up believing a lot of lies due to the information you absorb from the web and from a poor church... unless you diligently read the Word yourself and have a good prayer life.

lightofmylife

Blessed Hope-Prepare To Fly!

I imagine it's very possible to surrender your life to Christ and then end up believing a lot of lies due to the information you absorb from the web and from a poor church... unless you diligently read the Word yourself and have a good prayer life.
Exactly! We can't just believe everything a pastor/teacher tells us. We have to be a good Berean and search the scriptures for ourselves. We need to read it and study to show thyself approved unto God a workman that needeth not be ashamed rightly dividing the word of truth.

Pat

1Co 1:18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. :19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent. :20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world? :21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe. :22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom: :23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness; :24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God :25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. :26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: :27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; :28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: :29 That no flesh should glory in his presence. :30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: :31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.
Blessings, Pat

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
All I know is that my life is significantly better, provided for and blessed as a direct result of taking in God's Word, understanding His sure promises and always finding great wisdom and guidance for every situation.

Before then was confusion, hopelessness and a lack of meaning and purpose.

To know Christ and fear the Lord is the beginning of wisdom and as Pat shared above, Jesus is wisdom. Therefore to have Christ is an infinite treasure.

He has sent redemption to His people;
He has ordained His covenant forever;
Holy and awesome is His name.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
All those who follow His commandments have a good understanding;
His praise endures forever.

Psalm 111:9-10

......and whatever we ask, we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do the things that are pleasing in His sight.

This is His commandment, that we believe in the name of His Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, just as He commanded us.

The one who keeps His commandments remains in Him, and He in him. We know by this that He remains in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

1 John 3:22-24

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
The contemporary doctrine of eclecticism and the multiplication of contradictory English versions have elevated the Bible student as the master of the text and resulted in a massive decline in the authority of the Scriptures in this generation. The practice of dogmatic interpretation and preaching has faded greatly because of this principle. In a typical Bible study in a church that has bought into eclecticism, every individual is an authority unto his or herself as to what Greek manuscript or Greek text or English translation to follow in any given instance. There is no dogmatic authority for any statement, because someone can always come up with an alternative reading. This same principle has greatly weakened the authority of Bible preaching.

Learned a new word today :lol :

eclectic

ĭ-klĕk′tĭk

adjective​

1. Selecting or employing individual elements from a variety of sources, systems, or styles.
  2. Made up of or combining elements from a variety of sources.

I think a careful reading of the whole counsel of God (rather than cherry picking or pulling passages out of context) in many translations brings doctrinal truths out. A steady, daily reading of God's Word begins to reveal uncanny consistency in the whole Bible, written over thousands of years. One can't help but to acknowledge a divine inspiration involved. It seems like the Strongs Concordance could also be helpful along with carefully considering the context of the passage.

I do believe that where there are those sincerely seeking, God will certainly make sure His truth is known clearly (and there are those cases where people are still growing in understanding of God's Word too).

Of course some newer translations have really twisted or even removed part of God's Word, like the Queen James. :ohno

Pat

Learned a new word today :lol :

eclectic
Me too. And I agree with you. The truth of thew Word of God, considering that Jesus is not only the Word but also the Way, Truth and Life, Is alive (Heb. 4:12) and He will illumine our spirits via the H.S. (John 14:26) to the truth no matter how alternative the reading is. For instance, the KJV appropriately translated (I think) Gal 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." Most if not all newer translations have eliminated the wording "faith of Christ" and replaced it with "faith in Christ". This wording change however does nor eliminate the doctrine of the "faith of Christ" which a careful study of other passages reveals such as;
Eph 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" the "faith" being the gift. and Rom 10:17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God." and Heb 12:2 "Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God." The doctrine is that Christ supplies the "faith" to believe (affirms that Word of God heard in our spirit is true). As soon as we agree, say yes to, or believe what Jesus is saying to us via scripture, the scriptures now calls that "our" faith; it is put to our account for righteousness (Rom 4:3 "For what saith the scripture? Abraham believed God, and it was counted unto him for righteousness.").
Most people think Jesus was saying we could do unbelievable things if we just had more of our own faith in the following passage;
Luk 17:5 "And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. :6 And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you." I think He was saying that if we originated our faith, we could command God to do our bidding and we'd be showing off how powerful we were by tossing trees into the ocean and moving mountains around. Lk. 17:7-10 tells us to be doing what our Master says to do in obedience and He will do the works (Rom. 10:17, Phil. 2:13)
So, my point is that even if the wording is slightly changed, the teaching of the truth of scripture is still there and can be found as we are led by the H.S. But, as welkin says, "someone can always come up with an alternative reading." Is it important? To me it is, but if someone doesn't hold to the same thought, that is OK too. We are all growing. It doesn't change our salvation status; It is God who saves us based on belief on/in/of the Gospel! Fun thread! Blessings.

Everlasting Life

Through Faith in Jesus
For instance, the KJV appropriately translated (I think) Gal 2:16 "Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified." Most if not all newer translations have eliminated the wording "faith of Christ" and replaced it with "faith in Christ". This wording change however does nor eliminate the doctrine of the "faith of Christ" which a careful study of other passages reveals such as;
Eph 2:8 "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" the "faith" being the gift.....

Sure appreciate this example you shared Pat. As you've shown, the big idea or doctrine is still preserved, despite slight translation changes and backed by other scripture. Thanks for weighing, I had hoped that someone would add more to the thoughts in this thread.

Andy C

That is key, reading the bible, a simple task the majority of Christians fail to do on a regular basis.

How can someone make an informed decision on belief of the inerrancy of Scripture, if they have not taken the time to study scripture?

lamonte

According to the article
“…..poll after poll shows the extent of the biblical ignorance and moral decline in America which has lead to tragic consequences. A new Gallup survey backs up recent Barna and Pew Research
I never received a call, so how do they Know how I feel?

Never believe a “Statistic or a Survey or a Poll.

“Often statistics are used as a drunken man uses lamp posts…for support rather than illumination”
“Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say”
“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics or Polls.”
“There are two kinds of statistics, the kind you look up and the kind you make up.”

There is one Statistic that is true—Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Pat

The Criticism of Genesis.
The Book of Genesis, being the foundation of the whole Bible, and of such vast importance, it does not surprise us that the enemy of the Truth of God has directed first of all his attacks against this Book to break down its authority. A hundred years ago and less the cunning inventions of the father of lies, directed against the inspiration of Genesis and its unity, occupied mostly, if not altogether, the minds of theologians and scholars. It is different now. The stock of trade of the destructive critics, differing but little from that of accredited infidels, has become the common property of evangelical Christendom. The rationalistic theories concerning the date and authorship of Genesis are now liberally and almost universally displayed. In theological seminaries they are openly taught and hundreds of men, who claim to be teachers of the oracles of God, deny the inspiration of the Book of Genesis.

The Paternity of Higher Criticism.
That such a denial is not of God is self evident. But it is interesting to examine the source from which the destructive criticism of Genesis and the Pentateuch has come. The man who has been called the "Sir Isaac Newton of Criticism" is Jean Astruc. He was a French physician, a freethinker, who led a wicked, immoral life. In 1753 this man gave to the world his doubts in a work which he called, "Conjectures Regarding the Original Memoirs in the Book of Genesis." In this work he taught that the use of the two names of God in Genesis, Elohim (translated by God) and Jehovah (translated by Lord) showed that two different documents were used in the composition of the Book. The hypothesis of a Jehovist and Elohist writer, so called, was invented by this unsaved man,' It was, however, reserved for a German scholar and rationalist to formulate the denial of the unity and inspiration of Genesis into a system. This man was Professor Eichhorn. He coined the phrase, "Higher Criticism," and is therefore called the "father" of it. He introduced successfully into the theological institutions of Germany the theory of Astruc. On account of his great learning his invented higher criticism took hold upon the minds of thousands of people. But who was Professor Eichhorn? Let another Higher Critic give the answer. Ewald, himself such a powerful factor of thIs most dangerous infidelity, wrote: "We cannot fail to recognize that, from the religious point of view the Bible was to him a closed Book."
Such is the Paternity of the now widely accepted "Higher Criticism:" an immoral, infidel Frenchman and an unconverted, blind leader of the blind, a German Professor.

Their Disciples.
After Eichhorn came other men, such as Vater and Hartman, who tried to undermine the Mosaic authorship of Genesis by still another theory. Professor DeWette of Heidelberg, followed closely in the steps of infidel Eichhorn. Bleeck taught still another theory. Then we mention Ewald, Hupfeld, Prof. Kuenen, Dr. Davidson, Robertson Smith, Canon Driver, George Adams Smith, Professor Briggs, W. Harper, Marcus Dods and many others, who may all be fitly called the disciples of the immoral Frenchman and the infidel German. For instance, George Adams Smith saith: "The framework of the first eleven chapters of Genesis is woven from the raw material of myth and legend." And the works of this man and others are now sold at popular prices by so called "Christian Publishers."

Copyright 1913, by A. C. Gaebelein

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.